main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//3/3f/Springvale.jpg]

Only two games have my utter intrest this year. One of them is Spore and the other is Fallout. I'm very much a Fallout olbie so the fact that it may be out in four months time has got me replaying Fallout 1 and 2 again. Anyway i'm shutting up and posting some gameplay infomation.

[i]A cover story in the magazine Game Informer and other previews that followed revealed that:

[ul]
    [li]The game will use both first-person and third-person perspective.[/li]

[li]Main character creation is implemented by specifying the character's childhood. The character's mother dies in labor in a Vault hospital, after which the player chooses the character's Traits and general appearance during the father's DNA analysis. Afterwards, the father removes his surgeon's mask to reveal a face much like the one chosen by the player for the character.[/li]

[li]As a child in the Vault, the character receives a book titled "You're Special", whereupon you'll set the character's 7 primary aptitudes. The character receives training weapons and a PIP-boy during childhood, and the player's performance in various tests determines the rest of the attributes.[/li]

[li]Skills and Perks are similar to those in previous games: the player chooses 3 Tag Skills out of 14 to be the character's specialties, and the character will gain a Perk every other level.[/li]

[li]The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S. real time with pause combat system will be implemented. Various actions cost action points, and both the player and enemies can target specific body areas for attacks, inflicting specific injuries. While using V.A.T.S., real-time combat is paused.[/li]

[li]The game will maintain the same level of gore. All gory deaths in the game will be shown in slow motion. One of the featured screenshots is of a super-mutant's head exploding in great detail.[/li]

[li]The game will revolve around the same three standard character archetypes and gameplay approaches of the 'Combat Boy', 'Stealth Boy', or 'Charisma Boy'.[/li]

[li]The game will feature a new health and radiation system. The player can measure an object's radioactivity and gauge the effect it will have on the character.[/li]

[li]Karma titles, similar to those from previous games, will grant Xbox Live Achievements on that platform.[/li]

[li]Characters will be able to create small blasts by targeting nuclear generators and using nuclear catapults.[/li]

[li]While Fallout and Fallout 2 featured turn-based combat and top-down isometric view in a 2-D engine, Fallout 3 features real-time combat and first or third person view in a 3-D engine (like Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel). Fallout Tactics and the cancelled Van Buren featured both turn-based and real-time combat and a top-down view.[/li]

[li]In the SPECIAL character system, the number of skills has been reduced from 18 to 14 and perks are selected every other level instead of every 3 levels. It is unknown whether any other elements of the character system will be changed.[/li]

[li]Only the 'Combat Boy', 'Stealth Boy', or 'Charisma Boy' gameplay approaches were mentioned so far, Unlike Van Buren, the cancelled Fallout 3 by Black Isle Studios, where 'Science Boy' was also going to be a valid gameplay choice.[/li]

[/ul][/i]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//c/cb/FO3_Exploding_mutant.jpeg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//0/02/FO3_Vault_Secure.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//1/1e/FO3_nuke.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//a/a8/Father.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//1/1e/Pip-boy_3000.jpg]
    [image=http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/04/fallout14.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images//b/b7/VATS.jpg]

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Here's hoping that War still hasn't changed.

3. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I have to say that this may be the game that finally gets me to buy a new console. The games this cycle have been pathetically weak, even the AAA realeases rarely hold my attention, but the hours I would get out of this and GTAIV may just make a PS3 worth the cash.

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Fallout 3 IGN hands-on. Oblivion fans, rejoice!

And once again, the Bethesda forums prove themselves to be a hot breeding-ground of fanboy rage.

"Not being able to kill kids? That's a mother****ing dealbreaker."

"Incremental stat-boosts from clothes? That's a mother****ing dealbreaker. Screw you, Bethesda, for ruining
    Fallout."

So, if you like JRPGs, you're a pedophile, and if you like ARPGs, you're a child-killer? The only way to win is not to play, it seems.

(P.S.: Incremental stat-boosts from clothes sounds great...after all, black leather boosted Mad Max's badass-cred, right?)

5. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    I'm telling you all, Fanboys are dangerous. [face_hypnotized] I loved the first two Fallout games but things have to change for the better.

6. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    You didn't get this from me... [face_shhh]

7. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    You are awesome, sir.

Those HD trailers are the same ones they just showed at E3 -- nice to have them at home.

The background firefight going on outside the shelter during that one "cutaway" animation is ****ing hilarious.

8. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    I 2nd that, sir.

9. Hoojib_Wrangler

Hoojib_Wrangler Jedi Knight

Jul 18, 2006
    Have never played the game, but Bethesda hasn't steered me wrong yet...oh, wait, that Cthulu game...

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I am intrigued by this game and will probably pick it up when it comes out. An RPG on the 360 is always a welcome sight in my eyes.

11. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    [image=http://kscakes.com/LolCats/Uploads/Saved/do-want-14.jpg]

12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I can't ******* wait for this game. And I hate Bethesda.

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    If I can con my wife into letting me use the Pip-Boy as my permanent alarm clock, I'll be one happy stunted manchild.

Though I'm disappointed that they didn't get Mark Morgan back for the third installment, or that they didn't grab Jeremy Soule, who works well with Bethesda. Morgan's work on the Fallouts and Planescape was non pareil.

Oh, and I want that hilarious Radiant AI **** back! Sneaking around in a tavern stealing apples ("THIEF!!") or just causing general mayhem made playing Oblivion worthwhile. The fun I had with getting guards who chased me to attack other citizens, generating a town square massacre, was the best part. I really hope they expand on the random chaotic AI reactions, and not restrict them to standing around giving quests.

I want angry villagers to attack each other with the nuke-gun.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This has been banned in Australia because of all the drugs. But if it's like Oblivion, meh.

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Still not 100 percent sold on the two game-perspectives, but if the gameplay is as great as it looks, and the game world as huge as we've been promised, I will buy this on release day and play until my eyes bleed.

Yeah, Fallout does that to me...I'm not proud.

16. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    I guess you can play till your eyes bleed then. [face_plain]

17. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    do you have to have dogmeat in the game

18. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    you'd better have some dogmeat, son.

19. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Unbanned.

!!

Drugs are still in, but they renamed them to be fictitous drug names rather than ones that exist in the real world. Cause that makes a hell of a load of difference, Australian OFLC.

I'm considering importing it just to spite them for being so picky about the names of drugs. If they were arguing the use of drugs altogether I could understand, but if a simple name change was enough to justify a reclassification...:rolleyes:

20. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    Oh yeah. Drugs are bad, just after all the blood, gore and random killings.

21. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    aren't there any drugs in australia?

22. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Yeah, we have drugs here, what we dont have is an R18+ rating for videogames. So with every new game, unless they can justify giving it an MA15+ rating or lower, the OFLC will slap on a big Refused Classification sticker, effectively making it illegal to sell the game on Australian shores.

23. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
  24. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    It does get kinda frustrating sometimes, as many games we get in Aus have been censored and basically are missing some extras that you would find in the original uncensored versions.

For example, all the GTA games have been censored before being released in Australia. Luckily they really only minor edits, like dumming down the prostitution so you cant see whats happening in the car, or making blood spatters half the normal size.

Manhunt never stood a chance of being released here :p

25. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    Dude that sucks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.