main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We'll handle this

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by JediMaster_koon, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_koon

JediMaster_koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2005
    what the ***** WOULD YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE LIKE A ENTIRE MILITIA AND THE HAVE LIKE A BUNCH OF GUNS AND THEY CHOOSE JUST TO FIGHT THEM AND MAUL COULD HAVE EASILY BLOCKED AND DEFLECTED ALL THOSE SHOTS BACK AT THEM .....BUT STILL I WOULD JUST TELL THEM TO SHOOT HIM. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    One single deflected blaster shot by Maul could have killed Queen Amidala, who was still under the Jedi's protection... Really not worth the fireworks.

3. SKIMBLESHANKS

SKIMBLESHANKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    I KNOW RIGHT IT'S LIKE FIRE AND THEN HE WOULD BE SWISS CHEESE.

4. Ben_Watson

Ben_Watson Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    Darth Maul, would survive, though I think I'm the only person that I know of that knows Maul's true power.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    1 - They don't have the time to waste with the siege already underway, not only so that it might give the Viceroy time to escape, but also because reinforcements will (and do) arrive. 2 - Having Ambidala fire at Maul might incite him to attack her, which is an unnecessary danger. 3 - We have seen time and time again that a Jedi can handle numerous blaster attacks at once. Why bother when you have two Jedi willing to take him one on one?

It's also a bit of Jedi "duty" (for lack of a better word) coming through - this is their fight, not the Nubians'. Maul is here to fight *them.*

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Its no different to Vader wanting to face Obi-Wan alone in ANH even though he has a Death Star full of Stormtroopers at his disposal.

7. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I think that Jedi/Sith do have a lot of honour. If they are there to fight someone that someone will fight them, like Obi and Vader. They do not believe in cowardice.

8. SKIMBLESHANKS

SKIMBLESHANKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    Ok I will agree with JabbaTheHutt they do have there honor. But still it's just bugged me tremendously. And Ben believe I understand Darth Maul's true power. Thats why he's kinda my favorite character TPM.

9. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    I think Maul scared them into taking the long way. I'm not sure it was very clear in the movie, but his tone poem commercials implies that Maul has the ability to instill fear in others and use that to his advantage. The Jedi, of course, are able to resist so they stay and fight. That's my take anyway.

10. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    My brother always brings this up.
    I believe that the queen and the troops had a greater priority of getting to the viceroy and didn't have time to waste fighting maul.If they had however those destroyer droids would've caught them by surprise and shot them all in the back.

11. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    I LIKE TO KEEP MY CAPS-LOCK ON ALL THE TIME, TOO!

12. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I Agree with Matt-trooper

Wait a second, i never told someone before that i agree

13. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    After seeing Coleman trebor get his arse handed to him by some bounty hunter's wimpy pistol, I think it would have been better if they just fired every gun they had at Maul.

14. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Yeah but that was jango fett,not some 'security volunteer'. Also,I don't know if trebor knew he was there

15. NeimoidianReport

NeimoidianReport Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah but that was jango fett,not some 'security volunteer'. Also,I don't know if trebor knew he was there

Oh, he knew he was there. He deflected at least one or two shots before getting iced. And at some point, sheer volume of gunfire overwhelms a force user (see arena battle for more on this). Still, the bottom line is that this is just a film, and the Jedi and Sith are strong when the movie requires it, and weak when the movie requries. At this point, Maul needed to look tough, so anyone shooting at him would have failed. The script required a Jedi/Sith duel. Similarly, Jango needed to look tough, so Trebor had to die with just a few shots from a blaster pistol. And also the Super Battle Droids needed to look tough, so four of them overwhelmed Mace. It's just what the movie requires, and people looking for hard and fast logical rules are bound to be let down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.