main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What changes would you like to vote on?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well... a new "official" Force Heretic I thread has gone up... three or four months before the book is released... and already people are clamoring for spoilers...

... do we want a new policy on these types of threads? Do we want to do it soon? :)

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    well, I'd like to keep that new Force Heretic thread......the Destiny's Way one started almost a YEAR ago.

Before we know it, we'll have an excerpt and more bookstores and other sites will have bigger blurbs.

So, lets keep it.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    well, I'd like to keep that new Force Heretic thread......the Destiny's Way one started almost a YEAR ago.

Right... but the point is -- should we have some sort of policy on those types of threads?

- When should they be started?
    - Is spoiler-whoring allowed BEFORE the book comes out or should it be for discussion of the book AFTER it comes out?
    - Should Mods be the only one to create an "Official" thread?

etc...

All of these would make spectacular debate points, I'm sure... :)

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As a side note...

... there's now one (if not a redundant one) for The Unifying Force.

<sigh>

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I think that threads can be started for a book that is due soon, like Force Heretic, but for The Unifying Force, definitely not sometime until next year.

Maybe the threads could be for speculation only.

6. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    This is going to be an unpopular view, and I expect to get roasted for it, but here goes...

I think the Literature forum should drop it's "EU is canon" policy for the forum.

That policy is just a short-sighted and narrow-minded as the prequel forum's "EU is not canon" policy. There are plenty of EU fans who have not read every book nor consider everything that has been released as canon. In my opinion, the "EU is canon" policy just degenerates into bullying more often than not from what I've seen.

Poster A: I don't really believe that.
    Poster B: LFL said everything not infinites is canon, so you have to believe it.
    Poster A: I don't care what LFL said, I just find it hard to accept.
    Poster B: Too bad. LFL said it's canon. It happened. You can't change it. What you believe doesn't matter.

Granted, that is a much more simplified version, but I have seen those types of exchanges. There are the movie purist bullies and the everything is canon bullies, and in between are the people that get caught in the crossfire. What can someone who doesn't believe in everything do? Leave the forum? Just not post?

I created a poll a ways back about this topic. I was surprised at the sizeable number of people who didn't view everything as canon. I know that the poll is not scientific, but it did give a shapshot look at those who post in the fourms.

Just my opinion though.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Poster A: I don't really believe that.
    Poster B: LFL said everything not infinites is canon, so you have to believe it.
    Poster A: I don't care what LFL said, I just find it hard to accept.
    Poster B: Too bad. LFL said it's canon. It happened. You can't change it. What you believe doesn't matter.

The only thing wrong here is Poster B. The "EU is Canon if it's not Inifinities" IS the policy. Period, end of story. HOWEVER -- what people choose to accept for themselves is up to them -- both in normal SW EU and in possible SWRPG AU.

Granted, Person A shouldn't just say things like that because it's not the policy of the Forum, but there's nothing saying they HAVE to believe it. But Person B shouldn't come down hard on Person A for beliefs.

In other words -- I don't think the policy should be changed.

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The policy does not need to change because there is no Literature forum policy as far a s I know. It is an LFL policy. I think we just need to ask regulars to tone it down a little when quoting various LFL personnel making statements about what is and is not canon/continuity/official.

When regulars are debating with other regulars it's fine to get specific, but for newbies, it should just be a quick "See the FAQ" or, something more gentle like "Well, according to ... everything not labelled infinities is canon - just FYI." and then just leave it at that and not get into the specific rules of continuity, canon, official, and personal continuity - newbies won't know what you're talking about anyway.

9. Jades Fire

Nov 8, 1998
    The "EU is Canon if it's not Inifinities" IS the policy. Period, end of story.

I rest my case.

Last night I saw a topic entitled Kyle is officially non-canon, because it was in one of the books as being Infinities. I couldn't find it this morning. After looking a bit further, I noticed that the "Canon Police" changed the title of the thread to impose their own personal view onto another.

This is entirely unacceptable behavior. One of the major problems with the Literature forum these days are the completist bullies who beat you into silence if you don't accept their view of the story.

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yeah, I don't like all this topic title editing by mods when it does not violate any rules or policy.

11. Jades Fire

Nov 8, 1998
    More evidence that the Canon bullies make this forum less than the best....

Date Posted: 10/12 8:15am Subject: RE: SOS - SON OF SKYWALKER : YOU (THE FANS) ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! SAVE ME...

Most of the EU is canon, as explained in Gamer 6. Only things with an Infinities label are not canon.

Furthermore, it is this forum's policy that all EU devoid of an Infinities label is treated as canon.

Of course, outside of this forum, you're free to treat whatever you want as canon. Sorry if I came off a bit forceful in this post, it wasn't my intention to do so.

You see, there is no room for disagreement. The EUDF goons will go after just about anyone in the Literature forum who states his or her belief that the EU isn't canon. For some people, the EU will not be canon until George Lucas, not one of his LF Licencing underlings, says it's canon.

Drop the policy.
    Don't be as narrow-minded as the prequel forums.

12. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    You see, there is no room for disagreement. The EUDF goons will go after just about anyone in the Literature forum who states his or her belief that the EU isn't canon. For some people, the EU will not be canon until George Lucas, not one of his LF Licencing underlings, says it's canon.

But what about those people who do believe that it all is Canon? Why negate their views?

My point isn't that either is wrong or right, it's that the Canon issue is open to interpretation, so maybe the Lit forum shouldn't have a policy at all, neither in agreement or disagreement.

And calling people goons and narrow-minded for having different views from your own doesn't really help at all.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My point isn't that either is wrong or right, it's that the Canon issue is open to interpretation, so maybe the Lit forum shouldn't have a policy at all, neither in agreement or disagreement.

If an LFL-copyrighted source listing a specific canon policy can be considered "open to interpretation" then sure! ;)

Although I admit -- I'm not as hard-core as many of the others in enforcing... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.