main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do we do about Same-Sex Marriage?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagrant

Vagrant Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Bush just said that he'll go for banning same-sex marriage by changing the constitution.

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    After watching that speech, I'm afraid that Bush might be losing my vote.

Don't leave me.
    Don't ignore me.
    Don't kill me!

3. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    The MSNBC article you link to, DM, says:
    White House officials say that support for Musgrave's proposed amendment has been unraveling in the Senate.

So what makes you think the President's offical support (he's been behind it since his public proclamation against Mass.) will somehow stir it back to life?

Also, this is not calling for a Constitutional Convention, which I think the majority of Congress fears. There has never been a CC in the United States, and I doubt this issue will instigate the first.

Assuming, also that the Senate rallies and passes the Amendment, my previous link to polls indicates it won't gain the needed 3/4 of the states.

In essence, this "announcement" of Bush's doesn't really change things in the issue. It's still a flashpoint issue, regardless. It has, however, the potential to damage Bush. As was said before, he's put himself in a tight spot in an election year between the moderate conservative vote, who opposes the full ban outlined in the amendment, and the religious "moral majority" who will settle for nothing less.

P.S. Why do we need a second thread?

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Why do we need a second thread?

I'm letting it go for a little bit to see if it develops its own focus on this issue. If the two threads start to converge, one of them will be locked (depending on the different discussions).

Kimball Kinnison

5. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Everyone please ignore this thread and post in the other one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.