main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census What explanation do you accept for the diversity of life on Earth?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Sep 10, 2012.

?

What explanation do you accept for the diversity of life on Earth?

1. Naturalistic Evolution

63 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Theistic Evolution

17 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Old Earth Creationism

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Young Earth Creationism

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Alien Seeding

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In an attempt to separate the evolution/creationism and science/religion talk from the "goooooooo science" thread, I've pulled a Darth_Ghost and done this. So what do you accept as an explanation for life on Earth. Votes are anonymous, so besides voting, I encourage an explanation of your choice. While we should refrain from mockery or insults, we should be ready to defend our views from critique.

Note: Naturalist Evolution is purely secular while Theistic Evolution is guided by a deity

Special Thanks to lowbacca1977 for his input.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Theistic evolution. Basically, what science tells me + a unifying hand/unseen deity/brahman what have you.

PS, is this a senate question or a jcc question? Is a one liner okay? :p

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I selected Theistic Evolution, since it is the closest to what I believe.

After staring at the screen and thinking for all these minutes about what to type, I've decided I'm just going to leave it at that, because if I were to go into any details, I'd wind up with a wall of text that nobody would really care to read anyway.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nature is horrific, and teaches us nothing.

EDIT: I realized that most people probably wouldn't understand the Futurama reference, so I'll spell it out. I believe that since everything can happen on its own and most of it is crap, there's most likely no supernatural thing behind it.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I believe that the diversity of life on earth is caused by affirmative action, and that it should be stopped. God protect the valiant loggers who work tirelessly to render species extinct before they are even discovered!

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    No, diversity of life is due to the sexually permissive lifestyle of almost all biological life on this planet. If everything from bacteria to mammals weren't always having sex, there wouldn't be all these unholy mutated bastard creatures swimming the oceans or walking the earth (like this).

(Ignore the dice, I was just seeing what that does lol)

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

"Allah loves wonderous variety"

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Too bad there's no option for the theory of evolution that Gil Gerard traveled back in time and ejaculated into the primordial ooze.

timmoishere, Ender Sai and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Now that we've got some responses, I'll go ahead and give my say:

Everyone remembers I used to be an OEC (Old Earth Creationist) a few years ago. Now I accept naturalistic evolution because 1) evolution has a large body of evidence unmatched by any competitor and 2) there is no evidence that there is anything supernatural involved.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I gave "alien seeding" an honorary vote because it's still more plausible than "young earth" or "old earth" creationism.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm curious about the "other" response, myself.

Darth-Ghost and Rogue_Ten like this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ITS ONLY A THEORY VIVEC

ONLY A THEORY

IF IM A MONKEY THAN WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS, SCIENCE BOY?!!! HEY HEY WE'RE THE MONKEYS

THE COSMOLOGICAL CONSTANT, VIVEC!! THE COSMOLOGICAL CONSTANT!!

MrZAP and MASTERPRENN like this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You're a theory.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    your mom

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I SO wanted to click alien seeding. Naturalistic evolution. I notice it says explanation of diversity of life rather than origin.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That's because someone with training in science rather than a journalist wrote it. ;)

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    lol

Voted xenogenesis

oh wait.......I voted theistic evolution.

No really I clicked All of the Above....[:D]

..let's party! [face_dancing]

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Theistic Evolution... but of course, I don't believe God's work is supernatural at all.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't think I was here for that but I'm curious as to how your views evolved on that.

Word choice is intentional.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I voted for theistic evolution because

A) evolution has a larger body of evidence to support it than any competing theory and

B) Because God travels light.....beard, robe, some book in his hands usually. Plus he has lightnin!

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This was part of my transition from Catholicism to atheism. Though my family is Catholic, they're creationist. Science was never really promoted as a "awesome thing" that you see me promoting. So it was natural that I would be having their views on the topic of evolution as well. Old Earth Creationism, as it is called. Anyways, I had gotten really interested in science in high school and what caused me great stress was my love of learning science mixed with the demands of faith.

See, just learning science trivia doesn't cause any problems with one's faith. However, thinking like a scientist does, because to think like a scientist, one needs to apply scientific skepticism. Claims need to be met with appropriate skepticism and evidence needs to be demanded. Faith and religion do not work that way. So as my education in science went further in college, my frustrations with how faith and religion worked eventually led to me abandoning it. As such, OEC no longer worked as a belief, I moved to accepting a purely secular evolutionary theory.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Religion, well Christianity anyway, always moves the goalposts to respond to the latest scientific discoveries.

So, those who still accept it are the absolutists. As the pool of believers shrinks, and the West loses some of its scientific capacity and aptitude, they will become ever more radicalized.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What was interesting was watching your transformation right here on these boards. I had times where I swore you were following me around in threads to debate in favor of Creationism, then slowly but surely you started making logical arguments to say otherwise.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Naturalistic evolution. Naturalistic is synonymous with theistic in my worldview, but it probably would have been misleading if I'd voted for the second option.

I'm glad no one has used the phrase "intelligent design" yet, because every time I hear it I feel the need to point out how unintelligently designed many features of the human body in particular and lifeforms in general are.
    Herp derp why don't I connect the esophagus to the trachea so it's possible for people to accidentally kill themselves while eating.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Sauntaero like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Since JESUS THE ELECTRO-BEARDED HIPPY WIZARD DID IT wasn't a specific option, I voted naturalistic evolution because to suggest a man-made invention like God did it would be putting the cart before the horse. God, not being real, can hardly have started the process or guided it.

MASTERPRENN likes this.