main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*What Hotel Are You Staying At*

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Katy_Christensen, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I recieved my confirmation in the mail last week! As previously stated, at the comfort inn south.

2. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Marriott Downtown for three nights :)

3. lija

lija Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2002
    Embassy Suites, Wed-Sun

4. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Are we all supposed to get a confirmation in the mail?? I got a confirmation # quite awhile back, but, uhhh...I don't know where it is at the moment. I believe that we are supposed to be able to call after April 5th if we have any special requests. I might need a roll-a-way bed...so I should call. I am also debating on whether or not to ask about an early check-in. I'm not sure if I want to check into the hotel before I head in to the celebration, or just wait until later.

I clean hotel rooms for a living (yuck! it sucks too!). So, I thought I might give you all a couple of pointers/advice from a housekeeper. Like I mentioned above...if you are planning on checking in in the morning (anywhere from the a.m. to about 2 or 3pm) you will want to call first...because hotel rooms aren't all going to be cleaned by then, and check-in times aren't usually until 3 or 4pm. Every hotel I've worked at (4 of them), you can request an early check-in and the housekeeper (if they are able) will clean the room you're going to be in first. Also, and these are just a "be kind to your housekeeper" type advice. This one is just common sense: Don't be a slob. Just because you don't have to clean it up, doesn't mean someone else won't have to later (obviously). Secondly, if you followed that last one...maybe request "no service", or just ask for clean towels and fresh amenities. Personally, I know it's a pleasant thing when you have one less room to clean for the day. If you DO want service...put all your stuff in the closet or in the corner somewhere. Some hotels have policies that prevent the housekeeper from being able to move/touch guests belongings (i.e. someone leaves a suitcase on the bed, the bed doesn't get made, the guest calls and complains) Most housekeepers even prefer not to touch your belongings...as to prevent accusations (which are not rare). Lastly, a lot of people don't know about this, but when staying more than one night it is appropriate (if you got good service) to leave a tip for the housekeeper. Now, it's not anything like the 10% that waitresses get (because housekeepers make at the least minimum wage). Generally for 2 nights you'll want to leave $2 or $3, for 3 or 4 nights about $5. If you're thinking--"Why should I leave a tip? It's their job to clean it up." Of course, you aren't required to leave one, and it's not as custumary as with waitresses, but consider the fact that it's a nasty job for the most part...and it's just a polite thing to do. That's all I can think of, I hope I didn't sound grumpy...as I didn't mean to.

PS I almost forgot--I'm staying at the Courtyard by Mariott. ;)

5. freezetime

freezetime Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2002
    I'm staying at Residence Inn by Marriott. Anyone else staying here?

6. Rattak_Sal-Solo

Rattak_Sal-Solo Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    I'm staying at the Indy Marriott, the one at 7202 E. 21st Street, eight sithspawned miles away from the center! Anyone wanna carpool?

7. JediLuis

JediLuis Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm staying at the Econolodge South. I hope that there will be more of us there. I will be arriving on the 2nd at 4pm ...see you soon!

8. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    The RMFF has the Wellesley Inn booked. Big Rooms and a great price, even if we are along the Outer Rim. Has anybody heard if they are doing some kind of shuttle from the airport hotels to the Convention center?

9. Mike_J

Mike_J Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    We are staying at the Wellesley also. I couldn't pass up the rate for the type of room. It's only a short drive to the convention center.

Mike

10. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Comfort Inn. I booked my room in June of 2001.

11. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Iwakura's right in her advice about hotels, gratuities, and checking in. I work at a front desk of a convention hotel and I can say the occupancy from the previous night is all-important on whether or not you get to check in early. That is, if the room didn't sell last night and it's empty this morning, then I'll check you in- almost always with no extra charge (after about 7am). By the same token, if you want to check out late, that depends on how full the hotel's gonna be later that evening. They can't (or try not to) keep room attendants later than they're scheduled.
    So a little patience with my collegues in Indianapolis. We're hitting them with a big citywide convention and that can be taxing. If you treat them like you'd like to be treated you'll find both sides of the desk (and the housekeeper's cart) work better.
    Iwakura, I don't know you but I'm also staying at that Courtyard. Hope to meet you, Campbell

12. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Let's hear it for the Super 8 by the airport! Woo hoo! All I care about is, does it have a bed and a shower... and since I've stayed at many a Super 8, I know that they usually have both. At $50-$100 less per night, that's all I really need to know. I doubt I'll be at the hotel other than sleeping and showering.

13. SWN3RD

SWN3RD Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    Embassy Suites - On the north side of town...

I'd complain but the room is free!

14. ObiGregKenobi

ObiGregKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2002
    Adam's Mark.

15. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Courtyard by Marriott here.

16. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I was checking through the IndyGo.com transportation info, & if you're staying out by the airport, there is a bus that goes right past most of the hotels. It also looks like there is only one transfer to get to the convention center. I have a request in to IndyGo about any shuttle service that might be set up & I'm calling my hotel Monday. I'll post what I find out about.

Parking in a major city can be not only expensive, but a real pain in the keester.

17. Womprat757

Womprat757 Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    I'll be at the Econolodge Downtown. No other hotels wihtin a decent distance had reasonable prices. Most of my time there will probably be asleep beneath a pile of SW merchandise anyways, so who needs a 24kt gold jacuzzi?

18. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    we are staying at the wellsley .

rmff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hey Sabaac, haven't noticed this thread in awhile...didn't see ya there, heheh. See you @ Courtyard! :)

Anyhow, to Sabbac you listen...if you have any special requests (late check-outs/early check-ins, amenities like roll-a-way beds, etc.) you have to notify them ahead of time. Although, Courtyard told me that roll-a-ways are first come/first serve there, and I imagine since many are packing rooms to full occupancy...people will have a need for roll-a-ways (@ Courtyard they're free surprisingly!)

Oh, and a colleague told me about a rule of thumb that I was unaware of regarding tipping your housekeeper. I guess it's supposed to be $1 per person, per night. Don't forget, hehehe ;)

20. DamonVader

DamonVader Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    I will be staying at the Embassey suite(downtown). Not sure if Sebulba had this link in FAQ, but just in case. Its the same hotel map they had on the make reservations page. Could come in handy. http://www.indy.org/images/downtownmap.gif

21. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Crowne Plaza! ^____^ :D

22. JediRainer

JediRainer Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2002
    My husband and I have reservations at the Motel 6 by the airport. We are renting a car in order to do some additional sightseeing (Thursday and Sunday evenings) and to have a place closer to the convention center to hold all of our freebies and purchased items throughout the three days! I don't want to go to the movie Friday and (hopefully) the concert on Saturday with bags and bags of stuff!

23. darthdickalan

darthdickalan Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2001
  24. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I am staying at the Courtyard Marriott Indianapolis Northwest. I hope someone else is staying there?

25. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I'm staying at Crowne Plaza Hotel with a friend from Chicago and one from England. :)

~*~Bria

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.