main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Lucas is a Genius!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 2, 2012.

1. serso

serso Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2001
    I do think Lucas is a genius for the 2 following reasons:
    1. When we saw the first trilogy we thought that it was all about the adventures of Luke Skywalker.
    2. Then we saw the prequel trilogy and we realised the complete story was all about the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.
    This is exactly why I think we will realise something new with the following trilogy (something that I can not yet fill in) that will put the overall story in a completely different perspective!
    And that's exactly what I like about Star Wars.... looking at the complete story from a different point of view with every next trilogy (or even with some of the movies within a trilogy, eg. the father/son revelation in ESB)

When I saw the OT as a young kid and as an adolescent I knew that the Jedi where the good guys and that Darth Vader (except for the last few minutes in ROTJ) and the Emperor where the bad guys . After seeing the prequels, I realised there was much more to it. Especially when it comes to the story of (Anakin) Darth Vader. By wanting to do one of the best things one can imagine (saving his wife from dying) he ends up being the most horrible creature in a GFFA!

I don't think the story stopped with Luke saving his father and then him end up being a good spirit. I do believe we are in for a great treat storywise with the next trilogy. The only ****** thing is that we will have to wait another 9 years before it all unfolds.
    Anyway....Lucas has a lot up his sleeves!!!

-NaTaLie- and Count Yubnub like this.
  2. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Lucas is a genius, but he also dabbles in things that aren't quite his forte and it craps on the good stuff he had going.

FinleySlade likes this.
  3. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    I would not put money on it.

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/lightsabers.html

A Wikipedia contributor has identified what I suspect is probably the strongest inspiration on the idea of the lightsaber: the "force-blade" from the Lucky Starr series of science fiction juveniles, originally published 1952-1958 by Isaac Asimov (1920-1992) under the pen name "Paul French." The force-blade is "a short shaft of stainless steel" which can project a force field that can cut through anything, making it "the most vicious weapon in the galaxy." Asimov's force-blade expands on his earlier invention of "a penknife with a force-field blade," first used in his Foundation novel (1951). Visit Wikipedia's lightsaber page to read Asimov's original description of a force-blade.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  4. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    And that is why Star Wars is over rated but does any one listen to me?I'm a fan and wanted to understand what made it so famous . All in good fun, fans like talking about their stuff but weren't open or enthusiastic enough to do my mis justice of slamming the franchise justice.

It does Reuse old ideas...it's not that original guys.

I can play good guy or bad guy. I can play both parts and roles, but when I do there should be a reason and benefit from it. I start a critical thinking thread that criticizes the films, as if they aren't perfect ...Ask a legit question and it gets closed without conversation without real reason. I am a fan that doesn't mean that I question what makes Star Wars the sensation it is today. I want to have the sophistication , enlightened just as you do. Ever hear of balance, ying/ yang? You must still your mind or clear it of bias on occasion to really learn something new. Especially about things we love, some times we need to stop and listen to others and some times that means playing a role yourself to provoke a intelligent and emotional response from others.

Related to the topic ^ Is Lucas a genius well that's subjective a tad but it seems that most people would entertain the notion that he's a pretty intelligent, successful man. If he's particularly a genius ? I think he's creative and intuitive and made a masterpiece film series but I don't know if he's a genius. He sure the hell got the first film right . That was the real feat and miracle guys and girls. They had no idea it was going to be as big of a hit as it was, and then they went off of that as a model. The PT didn't work out as well for him.

But, I'd say that he's pretty intelligent , not every one can be independent and have the man and Hollywood begging on their door step.

5. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I seem to remember Lucas stating emphatically that there is no more story after Episode VI. So here's the answer to the OP's question: No.

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Get him to tell us his IQ, and then we can discuss this XD

Seriously, Star Wars at its most basic is some of the most sure fire hit, and 'cool' concepts stuffed into a blender and set on 'frappe'. Part 1930s and 1940s serials, part mythology, part science fiction, part mysticism, part world war II combat footage...

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Don't you love when Lucas responds to a critical query with a tranquil smile? He has the demeanor of a bodhissvata presiding over befuddled disciples.

It's quite possible that this is his world, and we just happen to live in it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    [thread sidebar]I agree with the entire post -- except for the bolded part. Please do some research into the origins of all those beloved Marvel characters, and when you've been enlightened with truth, shift your allegiance to Jack Kirby. Stan swiped Jack's ideas and called them his own; Jack single-handedly created Thor, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk, the FF, even Spider-Man, and all the early villains that went up against those heroes. I like Stan's goofy persona and it's neat that he's the public image for Marvel, but according to reams of testimony from Jack, his wife and numerous on-lookers of the period, it was Kirby -- not Lee -- who gave us the Marvel Age.[/sidebar]

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm really, really hoping for this. I'd love a 9-movie saga that has a resolution to an issue brought up in the beginning (TPM). If that requires a retcon (for instance, of the prophesy), so be it. As long as it works, of course.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think the sequels should tackle the "slaves on Tatooine" issue that TPM never really resolved. In a way, Luke resolved the matter by taking out Jabba, but it feels like the underworld still exists and along with it, slavery. This could be a major sub-plot in the sequels; everyone loves bounty hunters and Cantina creatures! It's even more to kill them. [face_batting]

11. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I just watched a few minutes of Episode III. How do I delete a post? I want to wipe my submission that Lucas is a genius from the record.

12. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Lucas is a genius but it's also his problem; he let's it get out of hand. The OT was so good because he was surrounded by people who challenged him creatively, they helped his genius come through in the movies by nurturing his good ideas and keeping the whacky ones in check (although he began to get stubborn in ROTJ.)

By the time the PT came around he had surrounded himself with yes-men like McCallum and Co and the result was a ****pile of unrealized potential. I mean if you have openly admitted to hating the writing process, then why would you write the scripts? That being said, so far the ST is off to a good start by letting a real writer write it.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    If you read "Making of Star Wars" you realize that he was always stubborn. No one understood what he was trying to do. He got lucky with Ralph who helped him sell Star Wars. But even after that, he was rewriting it constantly and had to deal with numerous issues during production and post-production. Even when he showed the cut without the final effects to friends everyone thought it was crap and only Spielberg had trust in him. Imagine if he listened and didn't stick to his vision? So stubbornness can lead to different results but he always was like that. Or we wouldn't be posting on the forum now.

I think people exaggerate the "yes man" situation. It was still a collaborative effort, actors had their input too and made changes to the scenes. I agree about the writer. I know Kasdan refused, could he trust anyone else? However, there're a lot of crappy movies written by professional writers so it's not a guarantee. LOTR movies had some bad writing, and it's based on one of the best books of a ll time.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I have no clue where the "yes-men" meme came from, or why it's being used to describe people doing creatively what they're being paid to do.

Imagine sentences like "Miles Davis surrounded himself with yes-men" or "Frank Zappa surrounded himself with yes-men." Preposterous, right?

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or like a lot of people he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There wouldn't have been thousands of people that had blogged about his movies if he weren't a genius.

Controversial and disliked? Yes, but that is beyond ridiculous (the fact that people dislike him, not your statement).

"I love you and worship your movies." ^:)^

"But I hate you for not doing the next series like I wanted. I hate you for releasing different versions of them." :_|

Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Genius /=/ universally loved

Genius /=/ fully appreciated in their lifetime

The dude just doesn't take his own statements as gospel the way we do. We've all got to accept that, for our collective mental health.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, but this is a more odd case; it is mostly unlike other situations when these things are typically true that you point out here.

No, the genius is never universally loved, but usually is not resented by so many of those who love his work.

Lucas is appreciated in a way that other "unappreciated in their lifetime" guys like Devinci were not, yet, Lucas is often nitpicked, and is in a way underappreciated (doesn't make sense, but it is what it is)...

I think the reason the Lucas thing is so odd is that he is simultaneously loved and hated by so many of those who love his work the most. Love and hate together with huge helpings of criticism and resentment, kind of like a bad marriage....

19. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    George Lucas is the stupidest genius that ever lived.

My favorite Ithorian likes this.
  20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Anyone who manages to create a humongous blockbuster franchise out of a corny 1930's serial concept is a genius in my book.

"This is so wizard, George!"
    /LM

Billy_Dee_Binks and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    THIS.

no need for more discussion,.

22. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012

I tought genises were noncrazy unceonventional thinkers.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    What's this "What If" crap about Lucas being a Genius? He's a self made billionaire... I think he's already proven his genius several times over!

24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Count me in, I agree.. ^^^

25. The_living_force

The_living_force Jedi Grand Master star 1

Oct 8, 2002
    Add Christopher Lee to the list of people who thinks Lucas is a genius. In an interview he made for what I believe was Empire (sorry, I don't have the exact quote) he stated that he has met three geniuses in his life: Tolkien, Peter Jackson and George Lucas.

Billy_Dee_Binks and Count Yubnub like this.