main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the problem with the link to the Yoda article at theonion.com?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by alfy, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I read the article, and I wish I hadn't--not because the article is really, really obscene, but because now I'll never be able to watch a Star Wars movie without thinking about it :mad:

This isn't something I would discuss with my grandma, or mom, even if they were interested in Star Wars. I think that's a fairly good barometer of what's okay material for a family board.

Why, exactly, did the dude who wrote this article write about Yoda jr? Why not Yoda's brain, or Yoda's elbow? Are THEY green and wrinkly?
    He selected the anatomy he did because he was aware of its potentially obscene nature, because no other body part would be as humorous. It's not just another body part.

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I sympathize, StarFire. :( Perhaps with time, prayer, a horse-hair robe, and several dozen lashes with a sharp-spiked whip against your own back, your enjoyment of Star Wars might return. One can only hope. :)

3. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks for your support. Maybe with time ... :(

4. alfy

alfy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    I read the article, and I wish I hadn't--not because the article is really, really obscene, but because now I'll never be able to watch a Star Wars movie without thinking about it

That doesn't make it inappropriate.

This isn't something I would discuss with my grandma, or mom, even if they were interested in Star Wars.

That also doesn't make it inappropriate. Some families are very mature, and feel completely comfortable discussing things that may be "taboo" to other people. I know that discussing sexual anatomy with one's parents or elders in general is thought to be gross or awkward, but some families have moved beyond the expected, into the practical, and can freely discuss these issues.

I think that's a fairly good barometer of what's okay material for a family board.

No, that's a fairly good barometer of what's okay material for your family's board, if they have one. Families are not all that uptight, or that awkward about "taboo" issues.

Why, exactly, did the dude who wrote this article write about Yoda jr? Why not Yoda's brain, or Yoda's elbow? Are THEY green and wrinkly?

He was writing a comedy article, and he knew what people would think. He correctly assumed that all who read it would be disgusted and find it to be the most obscene article a guy could possibly write. He also probably knew that it wasn't obscene at all, and was cleverly written to be completely inoffensive in terms of what it actually contains.

selected the anatomy he did because he was aware of its potentially obscene nature, because no other body part would be as humorous.

Potentially obscene = Obscene once people place their own ridiculous ideas in the article, and project their own context onto it. In itself, it is not obscene. As for the penis being humorous, it's humorous because of how people react to mention of it, and yes, it worked. Remember, it's a comedy article.

It's not just another body part.

Believe it or not, it is. When a man takes his clothes off, it's right there with the legs and the arms and the feet and everything else. It's just another body part. If anything, it's the best body part, since it brings about life and pleasure through it's usage. I don't see why it's so taboo.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't see why it's so taboo.

Whether you do or not doesn't change the fact that it is, as proven by the overwhelming support in this thread that the article was inappropriate.

And calling someone else's family "uptight" does not help your cause in any way

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In the administration's eyes, it is inappropriate for this board. I think that has been explained enough, and I'm closing this thread. If anyone disagrees, feel free to PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.