main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Nordic people think about each other?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tod, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Thus Finland in theory still belong to Sweden... you already proved it yourselfs!!

2. Wanlorn

Wanlorn Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    Or Sweden belongs to us!
    Well.. that is nearly as scary thought.. maybe I will lose it if I try hard enough.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I never had to have Finnish in school, I thought you would be impressed by my incredible amount of Finnish. :D

4. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey! I speak Finnish! Just sit back and listen to this... :D

Moi mukolat!
    Ei saa peittää ja parasta ennen. Paina läppä sisään ja aava. Suoja ja hoitaa, baby!
    Kiitos
    for listening. :)

Hmm... I wonder i OA win ban me if I say the P-word here? :p

5. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I'm shocked.

6. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    I so rule. :cool:

I can speak Swahili too. Mahaba ni tongo :D

7. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Or how about we make a switch? We take your king ( and princesses) and you get our president.

Take him, you'll get the whole family plus castle if you'll free us from this awful burden. BTW I'd also be glad trade them against your president, she seems cool.

Swahili, bah. I can write in Aurekbesh.

8. Quiet Queen

Quiet Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    I am aware of the fact that Finland is bilingual, I meant that Sweden would have to become bilingual as well?
    Heh, my compatriots trying to learn finnish! There?s an amusing thought! :D

On the offers of trade: I happily trade you our part of Lapland for Ã…land! However, our royal house for your president seems to be a very poor offer? ;)

Tod, I realised I had missed including Charles X on the list of ?Competent Swedish Commanders After Gustavus II Adolphus?. I hereby submit him!
    And when are you going to say something about my other arguments??

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well speaking of languages, I can still speak and write some Irish gaelic!

Is maith liom Bailey's agus Cider, ach ni maith liom Guinness.

10. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    Let's make a compromise. We skip the invasion bit and join Norway, Finland and Sweden and call ourselfs Nordic, Norden or something like that. We settle for a language known as Nordiska (that we in our best Tolkien fashion invent ourselfs)... How about that? How about our flag? well, White for the snow, some blue for the lakes and let's throw in some red and yellow there to so that we Swedes and Norweigans get som of our old flags too...

11. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    "However, our royal house for your president seems to be a very poor offer"

You want to keep them?!!?!?!?!?!!

12. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    As a loyal Scanian I find myself shocked that no one has talked about us southerners. If you wanna join Finland and Norway we Scanians will probably join Denmark and bring back the good old days. Has everyone forgotten about Öresundsbron?

13. Quiet Queen

Quiet Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course I want to keep the royal house, Erk! Having a king is necessary for the good order of the universe, maat.

Don?t laugh. It?s true.

Obscure languages you know?. Well, nothing I?ve heard yet has come close to impressing me. :p

14. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    Skåne? Who needs it anyway?

15. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Not you anyway MF [face_mischief]

Long live Skåne, we should do that örestad thing.

16. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    Go ahead! We've got the protective wall (a.k.a Hallandsåsen)...

Hey! Why don't you wanna be apart of this great nordic country? Hmm... Do you see something we don't?

17. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Of course, the great Skåne flag! Denmark and Sweden in one :D!
    I see skies of blue...clouds of white

18. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Quiet Queen, here you are.

"If you dismiss military victories as ?only good luck?, then you can prove whatever you wish. It is not a valid argument." You're absolutely right in that. But let's consider Battle of Narva. Russians are besieging city of Narva. They have 32900 soldiers in fortified positions. Sweden have 10500 soldiers who are hungry and tired. Charles decides to attack at once despite officers' objections. The idea is to breach russian fortifications in both flanks. After brief bombardment by swedish artillery Charles orders infantry to attack. At the same time begins snow storm so nobody can see no more than about 20 m. Since it's impossible to see anything or even give orders to troops generals again want to stop the attack but Charles still presses the attack. This time gamble worked. Russians didn't have time to open fire before swedish forces fell upon them. Panic started among russians and lot of them drowned to Narva river. Russians lost about 10000 men dead and about 15000 were captured, swedish losses were minimal. I consider this victory a lucky one because it was mostly due to favourable weather. If weather had cleared before swedish army got to russian positions I very much doubt they could have won.

Gustavus III planned to make an amphibious assault near St. Petersburg while smaller army attacks Vyborg from land. Troops were badly equipped and supplied and officers were almost openly revolting. Amphibious assault had to be called off because swedish navy couldn't defeat russian fleet. On land things didn't work out either. Swedes failed to capture Fredrikshamn or Nyslot. Gustavus was lucky that Denmark declared war on Sweden and he had good reason to leave Finland. Denmark signed peace soon and next summer Gustavus tried again to advance to Vyborg. And again he failed. Sweden was about to lose the war when Cronstedt managed to destroy russian fleet and Russia agreed to sign peace in august 1790. Gustavus was assasinated 16.3.1792. I'm not all that familiar Gustavus' campaing against Denmark but his campaign against Russia shows no talent as a military commander.

Charles X achieved many victories but he nearly exhausted Sweden with his wars. And I still haven't found very detailed information about Charles XIV Gustavus.

19. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    Quote:
    On the offers of trade: I happily trade you our part of Lapland for Ã…land!

No deal. Lapland stays. :cool:

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I want to keep Lapland too. Are we inviting Estonia to our project too?

21. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    We need Skåne. where from would we otherwise get all our good musicians; Bob Hund, Philemon Artur, Peps, etc etc....

BTW, I laugh. : D

22. Wanlorn

Wanlorn Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes! for Invading Estonia too. Also, the Democracy of East-Karrelia would be nice to invade too...

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Karelia should belong to Finland, so I'm all for that part of the plan.

And I can't say that I would need the musicians of Scania.

24. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    Can we please include the Kola peninsula? I've always wanted to go there... :)

25. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    BTW the reason I have for not wanting to have anything to do with Norge is, because after all.......they are the last soviet republic...

Also, if we reunite with Finland we can take whats left of ericsson and put it into Nokia, then we would rule the cellphone market as father and son............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.