main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    True. The Force Theme would cover Obi-Wan attempting to "talk him back", as it were.

Any chance of a moment where we get an "off-topic" theme, ala Yoda's Theme in Cloud City or Leia's Theme after Ben's death?

Yoda's Theme or Qui-Gon's Theme might work for a brief statement. What about the Main Theme?

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Am I the only one that doesn't think DotF would work in the final duel? I just think it's run its course already...heh.

And an idea for the main theme: make the movie completely devoid of it except for the ending, where *speculation* Obi-Wan delivers Luke to the Larses. Make it a lot like the Shire theme cue in the Two Towers soundtrack during the track "Samwise the Brave."

3. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I think DOTF will work in places. I trust JW.

And I'd be willing to wager large sums on it making an appearance in that scene.

4. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I was just at an online Sanskrit dictionary, and I think this would work well to replace some words in DOTF. Maybe have only a LITTLE bit of it, at the VERY climax (when Anakin falls?). Here it is.

Haras Ama Rabhas Tamisra
    Haras- anger.
    Ama- fear
    Rabhas- violence
    Tamisra- darkness, like the darkness of hell.

Luke gave me the idea to look this up (Luke, my son and fellow SkyWolf). I've gotta say, this might be a very good idea of his. How do these new words sound? I think they'd be SPECTACULAR right at the fall.

5. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Wow! That's a great idea. Of course, we know of the different Sanskrit words used in "Qui-Gon's Funeral".

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Am I the only one that doesn't think DotF would work in the final duel? I just think it's run its course already...heh."

I halfway agree with you. (1) I think DOTF will work great in the EpIII duel. It's an excellent piece of music.

BUT, (2) it could have had so much more impact if John (or George) had done a little better planning.

You see, in TPM, we associate DOTF with an epic lightsaber duel. It has nothing to do with Anakin. In AOTC, we associate it with the turmoil Anakin is experiencing and his inner conflict.

Basically, it was used in two totally different instances in the prequels so far. If John Williams had just used it for epic saber duels, it woulda been cool in EpIII, or if he had just used it to for Anakin's inner turmoil, it would have worked great in EpIII.

As it is, though. There's really no one specific thing we can associate with DOTF and thus much of its impact is lessened for the Episode III duel, I think.

\\drops two pennies\\

7. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I think DOTF operates on several levels.

Beyond the on-screen action & characters, it's also about the struggle between the Jedi & Sith, the Light Side & Dark Side, Good & Evil. I think as we progress from TPM to Ep. III, we see the struggle increasingly internalized by Anakin.

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "...it's also about the struggle between the Jedi & Sith, the Light Side & Dark Side, Good & Evil."

Isn't that what the whole friggin' Star Wars series is about? :p

9. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeup.

So DOTF = SW.

:)

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    At least we know why you're a DE teacher.

Great math there, buddy.

11. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Help me out...

DOTF < SW?

DOTF > SW?

Jedi + Sith + Ewoks + Gonk = SW?

I'd tell you how long ago my last math class was, but...

I know better. :)

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, and your math test-taking procedure leaves a bit to be desired too, I've heard. ;)

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    If an electric train leaves Chicago at 7:00 AM traveling west at 40 mph, and another train leaves St. Louis at 8:45 AM traveling north at 50 mph, and there is a SW wind at 15 mph, which way is the smoke blowing when they meet?

Back on topic... :p

I like the idea of new Sanskrit for Anakin's situation.

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Some more folks want to discuss, methinks...

15. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I think when Anakin loses a light theme of Imperial March could play,

That would be interesting.

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
  17. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    For your information, I had already realized my mistake and completely revamped my message before you even posted that. ;)

18. The_SkyWolves

Feb 25, 2004
    I made a little MIDI file of a possibility, email me at the_skywolves@yahoo.com if you want me to email you it.

Basically, I'm thinking...

This happens during a long, slow fall into the magma...

Bass C all the way for:
    "Haras" (Wrath)
    Bell tolls
    "Ama" (Terror)
    Bell tolls
    "Rabhas" (Violence)
    Bell tolls

Anakin hitting the magma...

Bass D, Bass B-flat, Bass B-flat (resembling "Rahtahmah" musically)
    "Tamisra!" (Darkness, like that of hell)

With a crescendoing violin, rising in tone until you get a high-note, slow version of the Imp. theme while Obi-Wan slumps to the ground, or walks away, or whatever he'll do after Anakin hits.

Feel free to request that MIDI file I made!

19. The_SkyWolves

Feb 25, 2004
    Bass D, Bass B-flat, Bass B-flat (resembling "Rahtahmah" musically)
    "Tamisra!" (Darkness, like that of hell)
    I meant Bass D, Bass B-natural, Bass B-natural.
    Sorry, I wasn't around a keyboard to check my notes. I get messed up around B. Most of my composed music centers around the chord D-minor.

20. Lord_Pollous

Lord_Pollous Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    If you remember in almost all light saber duel secuences, they start with no music at all, but on the contrary, the music simply stops in that part of the movie and as the duel starts to get dramatic, the music starts to play slowly.

Let us remember some duels:
    Episode I: Ihe fight starts with DOTF theme, but in the most dramatic part of the duel, which is the one when Qui Gon dies, the music dissapears and during the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul duel there is no music at all.

Episode II: During the Anakin/Obi Wan vs Dooku duel there is no music, and it simply starts when Yoda enters into the scene.

Episode IV: Obi Wan/Vader duel: no music at all. The music starts when Obi Wan falls.

Episode V: No music during the first part of the Luke/Vader combat, the Vader's theme starts to play when Vader finally decides to defeat Luke while Vader is no using light saber at all -he is using the force-

Episode VI: No music for the most part of the combat, except when Luke gets anger and defeats Vader.

To sum, I think there will be no music during the first part of the duel, and it will finish with the Vader theme and Anakin's fall.

Greetings,

21. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Episode V: No music during the first part of the Luke/Vader combat, the Vader's theme starts to play when Vader finally decides to defeat Luke while Vader is no using light saber at all -he is using the force-

There was originally more music for that scene, listen to the last minute of "Departure of Boba Fett." It's an amazing cue, although I admit the scene works better without it.

22. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I always felt that Duel of the Fates was another version of the Force Theme ? a Force Theme for the prequel films, which underlaid subtext different from the otherwise versatile Force Theme.

If you breakdown the Fates theme musically, it's very similar to the Force Theme.

I am concerned, however, with the musical continuity late in the Prequel Trilogy. Score-wise, Episode III needs to tie all the musical loose-ends.

Such as:

The Star Wars Theme should be played frequently.

The Stromtrooper motif should be prominent when we see Empire-esque material.

Anakin's theme shouldn't be reduced to a short cameo (i.e., Episode II): As Anakin descents deeper into the dark side, his music should be dark as well, until it becomes The Imperial Match (Darth Vader's Theme). Anakin's Theme is written similarly to The Imperial March for a reason.

To explain why we don't hear the Fates Theme anywhere else in the Saga, I'd like to hear The Imperial Match oppressively overpower the Fates theme throughout the score until it compositionally makes it wither and die.

23. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    The_SkyWolves created a MIDI file for a bit of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel; I'm hosting it for him.

http://www.freewebs.com/cerrabore/THEDUEL3.MID

24. The_SkyWolves

Feb 25, 2004
    Yay! Thanks, Cerrabore!

So, what did anyone think of my MIDI?

25. Dacron--Khan

Dacron--Khan Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2002
    I hope it is completely original and does *NOT* include Dual of the Fates...

STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH

[EDIT] - I agree with SITHMAN, It has been associated with 2 entirely different actions/settings, but if I had to associate it with something, it would be Maul, I REALLY hope it is unique, dark, horrific etc... I know JW can pull this off!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.