main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    You see, in TPM, we associate DOTF with an epic lightsaber duel. It has nothing to do with Anakin. In AOTC, we associate it with the turmoil Anakin is experiencing and his inner conflict.

Basically, it was used in two totally different instances in the prequels so far. If John Williams had just used it for epic saber duels, it woulda been cool in EpIII, or if he had just used it to for Anakin's inner turmoil, it would have worked great in EpIII.

Yes, but the duel in Episode 3 combines both of these elements- both Anakin's turmoil and an epic lightsaber duel. So, using your logic, DOTF is perfect for the duel.

2. Jedi_Orion

Jedi_Orion Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004
    I think there should be no music at all for that scene(ok, maybe at the end, samothing sad i strong at the same time). Furthermore I think DOTF would not fit in that scene. It seems just... wrong.
    John Williams should make something original, something that whould be rememberd in the next few years as the best SW piece of music.

3. Indie_Knight

Indie_Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    I would like to hear the music from ROTJ,when Vader is fighting Luke in the Emperor's Throne room.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm hoping there'll be music *reminsicent* of the Luke/Vade duel, lots of the Force Theme and suspenseful music.

Although I'm hoping the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel is an "event" duel, like TPM's was-just a visual/aural spectacle. In that case, DOTF would be outstanding.

5. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    I think that(especially since the Duel's supposed to be a LONG fight), that a mix of themes should be used, including DOTF.

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I was thinking that a melancholy statement of Qui-Gon's Theme might fit in well at a decisive moment for Anakin.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    ^That'd be coo, General Kenobi. Or maybe when Anakin finally gets beaten? Qui-Gon is the connecting link between Anakin and Obi-Wan after all..might go well here.

8. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I was thinking that a melancholy statement of Qui-Gon's Theme might fit in well at a decisive moment for Anakin.

That would be great. It would illustrate the fact that Anakin is really Qui-Gon's failure, not Obi-Wan's.

9. Israel_Angell

Israel_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2004
    If no one has said it yet,a song similiar to the duel between Luke And Vader (Climax)

10. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003

That's actually a pretty nice idea...if it isn't a direct statement. I'd prefer it to be "hidden" if it's going to be there at all. If it's just an all out statement, that one moment's going to turn into another "Escape from Cloud City" when Yoda's Theme shows up from the middle of nowhere. The only time I'd allow Qui-Gon's Theme to be direct is if he was directly spoken of at the same time

11. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Luke's rescue of his friends (uh, before it fails) is the culmination of all Yoda has taught him. I think the theme is appropriate, at least when Luke's around (Leia & crew, ehhh, maybe not).

As I said, Anakin is Qui-Gon's failure, so I don't see why Williams (were he to use the Qui-Gon's theme) shouldn't deliver a full statement of the theme.

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    If no one has said it yet,a song similiar to the duel between Luke And Vader (Climax)

I suggest reading the rest of the thread! :) There is duscussion about whether or not to use "The Dark Side Beckons" (or some similar non-thematic score).

The only time I'd allow Qui-Gon's Theme to be direct is if he was directly spoken of at the same time

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Anakin is strictly Qui-Gon's failure, he did discover Anakin, free Anakin, and make Obi-Wan promise to train Anakin as he lay dying. I think it is highly appropriate, thematically speaking, to use Qui-Gon's theme in the duel scene. I'd say there is an even greater connection than Yoda to the "Rescue From Cloud City" (and I rather like that use of Yoda's Theme) in ESB.

13. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I so hope John Williams will use Qui-Gon's theme again. Probably my fav. Star Wars theme. It feels so lyrical and warm. The duel would be a nice spot for some variation on the theme. :)

The scene in AOTC, when Dooku talked about Qui-Gon would've been a superb spot to use the theme. It's a pity they used TPM music for that powerful scene. :(

14. --Darth_Ganondorf--

Aug 25, 2003
    I'd say there is an even greater connection than Yoda to the "Rescue From Cloud City" (and I rather like that use of Yoda's Theme) in ESB.

Me too, but IMHO the first time I heard it, it seemed out of place. It's grown on me over the years, but it was just those first few listens. Qui-Gon is a great connector between the two and I agree it would be cool to hear it used when Obi-Wan gives Anakin another chance to turn back. All I'm saying is don't put it in some random spot for some random reason

The duel would be a nice spot for some variation on the theme

Yes, variation; exactly :). If it is put in some random spot for some random reason after all, make it a variation of the theme instead. That was the other part of what I was saying

Luke's rescue of his friends (uh, before it fails) is the culmination of all Yoda has taught him. I think the theme is appropriate, at least when Luke's around (Leia & crew, ehhh, maybe not).

That's why I didn't bring up Yoda's Theme being used in Luke's rescue. I knew why it was there, part of the reason being Yoda taught Luke, and now Luke's trying to rescue his friends based off Yoda's teachings. In "Escape from Cloud City", Luke isn't even present (like you said). Heck, none of the people there are even present Force users. It's good music, but rather out of place for the moment IMO

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, a statement of Qui-Gon's theme wouldn't be at any random moment...

as I suggested above: "...might fit in well at a decisive moment for Anakin".

:)

Or, rather, what if JW threw a curve and used a bold, triumphant statement of Qui-Gon's at a moment of success for Obi-Wan, rather than the Force theme?

//trying to imagine such a statement, followed by the choral Force Theme :D

16. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Sorry if I'm being a bit ignorant, but what exactly is Qui-Gon's theme?

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Qui-Gon's Theme is best heard:

- At the start of the track "Anakin Is Free" (Track 1 Disc 2 TPM:UE) when Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan to get the hyperdrive generator installed while he goes back for some "unfinished business".

- In the next track "Qui-Gon And Darth Maul Meet" (Track 2 Disc 2 TPM:UE) as Maul attacks Qui-Gon in the desert and Anakin runs to the Queen's ship.

:)

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    ^Yeah, GK's second example is the "action" version of the theme. Verry cool-sounding.

Although, IMO, a sad version of Qui-Gon's theme would be great in the The Duel, when Obi-Wan finally beats Anakin. This is the last thing Qui-Gon would've wanted.

Or just to be subversize, a triumphant Emperor's Theme. This, after all, is the Emperor's greatest triumph. Anakin's fate is sealed with this.

19. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Qui-Gon's Theme is best heard:

- At the start of the track "Anakin Is Free" (Track 1 Disc 2 TPM:UE) when Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan to get the hyperdrive generator installed while he goes back for some "unfinished business".

- In the next track "Qui-Gon And Darth Maul Meet" (Track 2 Disc 2 TPM:UE) as Maul attacks Qui-Gon in the desert and Anakin runs to the Queen's ship.

And also when Qui-Gon dies (in fact, without this third occurence, the theme couldn't really be considered Qui-Gon's).

Or, rather, what if JW threw a curve and used a bold, triumphant statement of Qui-Gon's at a moment of success for Obi-Wan, rather than the Force theme?

While the two themes have similar structures, it's hard to imagine a triumphant version of Qui-Gon's Theme...well, I'm sure Williams could come up with one. :D

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I think it's easy to imagine...

however, perhaps "triumphant" isn't the right word for that cue.

Maybe "bold, poignant" (as opposed to "soft, melancholy")?

21. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Alot of the SW score is variations on itself so I suspect that the duel will be a darker, more ominous variation on the " Duel of the Fates " - which is exactly the theme of the final duel, even moreso than the duel with Maul.

22. --Darth_Ganondorf--

Aug 25, 2003

//trying to imagine such a statement, followed by the choral Force Theme

=D=!! Love the thought of that! Nice idea! Still working with your choral Force Theme I see ;)

On a side note, I mentioned a choral Darth Vader's Theme a few pages ago, and since the PT credits seem to end with Darth Vader's Theme, how about a choral Darth Vader's Theme at the end of the credits instead? :D That way there can be an original, maybe gothic cue for when Anakin falls and so forth

A bit off-topic, but another idea nevertheless

23. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    During my run today, I rethought my idea about the use of Qui-Gon's theme. Perhaps it might best be used when Obi-Wan goes off to try to turn Anakin back. (I'm assuming this based on what Vader says to Luke on Endor -- "Obi-Wan once thought as you do".)

Something along the lines of...

Yoda: Too late, it is. Failed to fulfill the prophecy, he (the chosen one) has.

Obi-Wan: No. I've got to try. (Perhaps with refernce to his oath to Qui-Gon.)

And then we hear a defiant, perhaps sadly futile statement of Qui-Gon's theme. as Obi-Wan walks away/departs for... wherever. Then, of course, he fails to turn Anakin. Then, they fight. :)

24. Galahad_Skywalker

Galahad_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    It's the event that ties together both trilogies, and it seems that there are so many themes and cues that'll work perfectly with it. But the duel scene is going to be twelve or thirteen minutes, isn't it? This is plenty of time for Williams to incorporate a variety of themes, experiment with them, and set them against a brooding underscore that subconsciously sets the entire mood of this segment of the film. While moments without scoring would be very artistic for the sequence, I would love to pick up the RotS soundtrack on its release date and have the bonus of a nice ten or twelve minute 'Duel' track.

25. DarthMJ

DarthMJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2002
    We will hear DOTF there - no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.