main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What to read after the Thrawn Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Catia, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think reading the Jedi Academy Trilogy before I, Jedi really does make sense. I know a lot of people prefer the latter for various reasons, but if you're about to read both anyway, I, Jedi should come later. It's great in reinterpreting and detailling some parts of Jedi Academy, but in the end it doesn't really bother to make a complete story out of what's happening. It has another story or two to tell, the Jedi Academy stuff is more of a sideshow.

My suggestion: Put Jedi Academy between Dark Empire and I, Jedi for maximum effect.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Read the Jedi Academy Trilogy before I, Jedi. The latter re-tells the events of the trilogy, so it's best to read the trilogy first to avoid being spoiled.

3. Catia

Catia Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Ok, the change was made!

4. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Given I, Jedi, the Jedi Academy Trilogy isn't even necessary, strictly speaking. All someone would be missing out on is in-depth characterizations and scenes (Gantoris' recruitment, Han's Kessel sequence, etc.). The gist of JAT is in Stackpole's novel, such that if one wishes to avoid KJA, they'll find it entirely feasible.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah, "I Jedi", though contrived at times, is good. But you want to read I'Jedi after you read the JAT. xwing books are a little overrated, especially the wraith squardron stuff. You need to read Shadows of the Empire, Courtship of Princess Liea, and Mindor. Then grab the Jedi Academy books, and move onward. To me you could skip the Black Fleet trilogy, because it's crap. and Read Children of the Jedi, but Darksaber and Planet of Twilight especially is crap. Then read New Rebellion

6. brianmays

brianmays Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2012
    I recommend the Dark Empire comics, The Courtship of Princess Leia, and The Truce at Bakura next. Chronologically, I believe the Jedi Academy trilogy was released after the Thrawn trilogy. It references things in Dark Empire that made me go special order the comic to get the background info.

7. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    although Truce At Bakura takes place days after ROTJ. So it is earlier on the timeline than CoPL

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If one wishes to avoid KJA. But who knows, a new reader might prefer KJA to Zahn. ;) And either way, the JAT does a lot of setup for later stuff. In that sense of continuity, it's more "rewarding" than Dark Empire, for example. And while I, Jedi does sum up the story, so does Wookieepedia. But in both cases you're missing the atmosphere of when EU decided to create Luke's Jedi Order. You'd get a completely different experience of Kyp, for example, if you'd just listen to Corran's whining and never get to know the guy first hand.

Hm. Now you made me think. Does early NJO Kyp make more sense if you only know him from I, Jedi? [face_thinking]

And continuity-wise, I also think there's a little difference in how Daala and Tavira played out in terms of importance.

9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    'The Glove of Darth Vader' and 'The Crystal Star'.

Essential reading. It is a pity they just missed out on the Hugo Award, a real shame.

10. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    As someone who read I, Jedi, the NJO, the JAT, and Simple Tricks in that order... yes. Yes, he does, by a lot. Then you hit the latter two materials and go, "wait a second..."

I regret nothi- no, I take that back, I regret not skipping over JAT for Simple Tricks.

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Sorry, the Crystal Star is bad, just barely better than Planet of Twilight