main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Video Game are you playing?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TheExecutor, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Expecting parents always get lots of unsolicited advice. In fact, here's some about treating a child's fever:

http://thetechlife.org/jokes-laughs/3659-geek-parents-using-cooling-technology.html

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    No More Heroes.

GET.
    IT.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    The only console I have is a PS2 (which I just bought less than a year ago). So right now I'm playing Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Let me tell you: I have never played a game where I wanted to throw my controller at the wall so many times. This game--while not awful--can be mightily frustrating,

The next game I have waiting on my shelf is Shadow of the Colossus. I've heard many good things about it and I'm looking forward to it! :D

4. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    um, I don't know if anyone's kidding or there's like a test tube with Goat sperm and Femme egg in the basement of their home or something, but if this is really real, then...

CONGRATULATIONS JASON & ERICA.

Parenting is very rewarding...except when it sucks.

5. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Thanks dude.

We've got our guide so I think we'll be OK.

Note to self: Discontinue negotiations with hobo daycare.

6. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Here's the only guide you need:

[image=http://usera.imagecave.com/boshtalk/Coolpix/BabySmasher.jpg]

D'

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
  8. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I need some help here. I gave Peaches the info on my vid card and apparently it sucks, especially since my Orange Box refuses to play. Any suggestions on a decent video card that is reasonably priced?

9. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    What sucks, Peaches or your video card? Oh right. Nevermind. But I can help with the video card.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure you have an AGP slot, which has been on the "phase out" side the last 18 months or so. That said, anything on this page should work great for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106790717&name=GeForce+7+series

10. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Goat--we actually got that book as a pre-baby gift from some friends. It is funny stuff and great to have laying around when the kid's screaming at 3 a.m. and you need a laff.

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Wrapped up No More Heroes tonight. It is AWESOME. A very worthy Wii purchase IMO.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Duke Nukem Forever to be released this year?!?!!?!? Will the butt of all long development jokes come to an end this year? I can't believe it would seeing as we've seen almost zero media up until this point. I think 3D Realms is under big pressure from Take Two to get this thing out the door. It has been a decade long joke in the game industry.

12. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Finally finished "Half-Life 2" and moved on to "HL2: Episode 1". It's nice that it picked up the instant that HL2 ended and that you don't have to go through all the training levels again, even if you are only left with the gravity gun.

And Uwe Boll aside, this is one video game that probably would translate well into a movie. Bonus points if they got the voice-over actors to play the same roles on film.

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Keep in mind that Ep1 is a bridge to the mindblowingawesomeness of Ep2. I almost cried at the end of Ep2.

I would love to see a HL movie as I think it could translate very well.

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

14. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    No spoilers, you bastards!

The f-ed up Internet Explorer on my system means I can access Steam to play games, but can't do anything that involves the IE-integrated web browsing (can't join groups, can't purchase the Orange Box) so I haven't played either of the sequel episodes yet (or Portal).

If Dog dies, I'll personally oversee the firebombing of Valve's headquarters and the homes of their staff.

-Le Penguin
    <insert cool Dog noise here>

15. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
  16. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Also, from the "duh" department, Mass Effect is headed to PCs in May.

17. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Thanks goat. One of my classmates has Mass Effect and says it is awesome.

18. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
  19. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Didn't they make that already?

Also, does anyone know if Audiosurf worth the download?

20. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Audiosurf is indeed worth the 10 bucks. Partially because the Orange Box soundtrack, in glorious DRM-free MP3 format, is present. Also because the game is pretty damn ingenious. It does exactly what it says it does and is a lot of fun for quick fixes and literally endless replayability. I'm really enjoying it for quick fixes.

If you are expecting some deep Bioshock-esque narrative, you'll be disappointed. But for fun casual goodness, you can't do much better.

21. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Good enough. Thanks!

22. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Also, I recommend playing to Thunderhorse by Dethklok or Seek and Destroy by Metallica. It is almost a religious experience. Then again I was drunk at the time so it may not have been the Holy Spirit.

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    After sampling several platformer games on the PS2, I've finally found one that I cannot get enough of: Ratchet and Clank. Thank goodness there are a whole lotta sequels to keep me happy once I finish this first one. :D

24. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Sithy - you didn't like Jak and Daxter (the first one, at least)? I thought it was fun. I didn't like the second one as much, too much "go here, then come back, then go there" for me.

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It's funny that you should mention that. When I was debating what platform-game to pick up, I read a lot of reviews and eventually I settled on Jak and Daxter. But for some reason, the game never clicked with me. Half the time I felt confused about where I should be going what were my exact mission objectives (granted, I am awful at video games and I tend to have problems like that). Jak and Daxter just seemed exist in this odd place somewhere between the strict platform style of, say, Crash Bandicoot, and the story-driven, blow-'em-up style of Ratchet and Clank.

Obviously, I'm having a hard time explaining myself. :p Suffice it to say: I've tried Crash Bandicoot (thumbs up), Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (meh), Jak and Daxter (thumbs down), and now, finally, Ratchet and Clank, which I thoroughly enjoy.

What about you? Favorite PS2 platformer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.