main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, I've been working on the series for more than two weeks and am only about halfway through book 3 (of 4). This is a new feeling for me...

Anyway, I picked up Warbreaker today in paperback (official paperback release is Tuesday, I believe) :D I'll read it immediately after finishing the Troy Game books.

Also picked up And Another Thing, the new book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series... yeah, its still in hardback, but I got it for paperback price, so I figured I'd go ahead and get it :p

I have something like 25 books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read for the first time... I think I'll be busy for a while yet :D

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes! :D

Is "And Another Thing" the Colfer one?

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, Colfer. It'll probably come after Warbreaker in my reading, but there are a lot of potential choices over there :p

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Finishing off the Vatta series by Elizabeth Moon at the moment. It's been fun, slightly fluffy, entertaining, and worth the read. They're not great books, but I might reread them at some later date.

After that, I have a book called Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund. I've glanced at a few reviews, and they seem overwhelmingly positive. It looks a little like a young adults novel, but I'll find out in reading it. And just because it's for young adults (if it is) doesn't make it innately inferior in any way.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I haven't read that but I have read the Halo books that Nylund wrote. Those were pretty good.

6. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Yesterday I bought the latest books in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and I hope to read at least one of them within a week.

7. Scarran

Scarran Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Changes by Jim Butcher.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Picked up a few books today on a trip into town. The scifi ones are all Warhammer 40k novels as a local bookstore had them all on 'buy 3 for the price of 2'. I couldn't resist that!

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Warbreaker PB edition.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    LAJ - Nice!! :D

JS - Excellent choice :D

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas. My mother found it in a used book store yesterday and brought it home for me. I'm taking the train to Montreal on Saturday and this will be my reading material. It ends with Return of the Jedi, but I am very excited. I've been flipping through it and there seems to be quite a lot of material that comes directly from The Flanneled One. :D :D :D :D

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sounds aewsome! And what a great title :D

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just ordered the second and third Steig Larsson books from Amazon UK. The third one came out in paper on April 1 here.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Picked up Haze, another Modesitt SF book that just came out in PB... looking forward to reading it, but that'll be after I get through the Dune books.

Also got my PB copy of Outcast at the same time, but I've read that before :p

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Do you have all the Dune books?

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I have the first five, just need the sixth to have the main series. Then I have one of the other books (i.e., one of the Anderson/Brian Herbert books)

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Fate of the Jedi: Backlash by Aaron Allston
    Why: Because Aaron Allston is one of my favorite authors and I didn't want to wait for the library to get it in. Plus, I had a coupon. :p

New Jedi Order: Rebirth by Greg Keyes
    Why: Because my dog got a hold of my original and ripped out several chunks of it. Had to replace it.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh no! Rebirth was a good one, too.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Went to the used bookstore today... traded in 5 hardbacks (for which I already have the paperbacks) and a comic book for a dozen paperbacks :D

3 Dune books (the ones on the Houses), a couple Dan Simmons books (Endymion and Rise of Endymion), a few more Forgotten Realms books, and a Zahn book I hadn't seen before.

I've also gotten some stuff from Amazon lately - mostly Modesitt, including the third Ghost book (which was quite good - finished it last night), and Flash, another of his SF books. And the World of the Wheel of Time guidebook.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002

I honestly think you might regret buying those House Books RJ. Most people think those 3 are horrible, Ive never read them however to back it up.

Anyway my most recent purchase is Magican:Apprentice& Magician:Master by Feist.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    At least they're set in a general period that I found interesting, so worth the (cheap) price to try.

Books-A-Million is having a major sale today, so I'll probably go by there sometime today.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I love that discount bin now that I dont work there anymore. I know the one here in Lake Charles has those last two that complete the OG story in the db but they are the HC ed for like 5-6$....still cheaper then a new pb though.

Ours also has alot of Goodkind and Modesitt(sp)

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Forget the Goodkind, but you should try Modesitt if you haven't already. I recommend his fantasy series in particular (Recluce Saga, Corean Chronicles, Imager Portfolio...)

Very successful trip to Books-A-Million... got the paperback copy of Abyss, some of the Shanarra books, and a couple Salvatore books (not Forgotten Realms ones) :)

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I tried a Shanara book years ago, and it just seemed like a poorly-written Tolkien rip-off :(

I second the Modesitt recommendation, though. And BAM has discount bins? That is awesome.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive tried Shannara as well and I just cant get into it. I can read a book and finish it but then have no want to continue for like 3 yrs and then that is only if I have nothing else to read. As a matter of fact I just threw away every single Shannara book I owned and I had most of them in HC.....