main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would a real Jedi be made of?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sith93Apprentice, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith93Apprentice

Sith93Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm curious to know what people think of this in a focused discussion. The threads I have read so far deal with Jedi in the context of the fictional Star Wars universe, of course. I would like to know what kind of elements people might identify from the real world which might serve as a basis for creating or developing a Jedi order. In particular I am interested in what might be realistic and actually achievable in the following categories:

1. Education
    2. Primary and Secondary Skills
    3. Weapons and Equipment
    4. Legal, Ethical and Moral frameworks
    6. code Of conduct
    7. Social Organization
    Aa. Ranking system
    b. Table Of Organization
    c. Constitution
    d. by-laws
    8. Doctrine
    9. Ceremonies and Observances
    10. Venues
    Several Orders in History drew their inspiration from fiction and popular myth. I have heard repeatedly about such groups forming or being recognized but have never talked with anyone from any such group. I figure this site is as good a place as any to put the question. What are your thoughts?

It seems I skipped No. 5. above. Well, maybe someone can fill it in.

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    #1. Force sensitivity.

Adalia-Durron , Mirax Terrik and V-2 like this.
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Sugar, spice and everything nice.

4. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    Yes, the Force is the obvious big requirement. I guess they wouldn't be as cool without it. Let's assume for a moment a small collection of force abilities were achievable but not through mystical means. Let us assume that a minority of them are achievable , yes, through mystical means. I was hoping we could talk about everything else instead though.

5. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    It looks like you want to create a kind of militarised Scientology.

6. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    No, not really what I had in mind. Yes, I'm fascinated with the concept and always have been. I know Scientology is pretty unpopular outside of the United States and I won't defend it. I followed some of the religion courses from the Open university and found, not surprisingly they are addressed mostly to a UK audience. When I read the course material I noticed how unflattering the remarks were on Scientology and well, no, this has nothing to do with that. Just want to know others think about relevant concepts and I'll do my best not to judge or criticize any ideas. I guess if I do, someone will put me in my place. lol. Actually, the history of Scientology is pretty suspicious because a great deal of their material was actually stolen from another order relabled, corrupted and used for commercial purposes. At least that's the rumor. I want to get off that topic quick though. Jedi, just Jedi. I admire different orders of Knighthood and warrior societies both Eastern and Western and I'm hoping to stir up some discussion on them and use the Jedi as a common frame of reference.

7. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Probably some fleshy substance. ;)

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    11. Child stealing :p

9. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    HHmm. Body snatching. useful.

I was actually hoping to address the Sith in a separate thread. Raising a child to adulthoodin the Order could be accomplished several ways, but why would this even be necessary? I suppose one way would be through a Supplemental or auxillary learning program that parallels public education. The boy Scout do this: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorer Corps. This originally had a paramilitary fuction and today it still serves as preparation for ROTC, unofficially. Many fraternal orders don't accept applications until legal adult hood. Most people that join these do so without any background. What would we get if a program were followed into adulthood before an application to an Order were submitted?

What about Orphanages and State Homes? All Jedi are orphans in a manner of speaking. Why not give those kids a sense of belonging and purpose? Would there be anything wrong with that idea?

I always found it interesting the assessment they showed the Council giving to Anakkin was based on the old PK tests they used to conduct at Duke University which seems to have become a standard for measuring psychic abilities against probability.

10. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    He will be made of wood.

V-2 likes this.
  11. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    "Ajna is the master and the worker. You are the wooden monkey" -Liber Aleph

What kind of education does a Jedi need to be made out of wood?

12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Jedi made of wood?

Reminds me of this.

[​IMG]

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Reminds me of Hayden Christensen.

14. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    So, what kind of wood anyway? Would he be cut from a rowan tree at the dawn of the Spring Equinox in a single stroke with a magick dagger, or would he be newly planted and grow like the flower of the Royal Art? Maybe after a couple of weeks in Fight Club, his ass would be carved out of wood, or maybe he would just be whittled out with a pocket knife.. How do we train plants anyway?I guess if I ask a serious question I have to be fair game for one-liners for a while. *sigh*

15. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I think you've had your answers. A real Jedi would be capable of using an imaginary magical/scientific property that allows superhuman abilities, would be kidnapped from their parents at an early age, brainwashed with a San Francisco blend of hippy and eastern wisdom, trained to kill, to deflect bullets with imaginary weapons, to use imaginary skills such as telekinesis, mind control, etc. They'd then become civil servants arbitrating bureaucratic issues and trade disputes in a government that inexplicably sees the benefit of delegating responsibility to a weird cult based on characters from a film made in the 1970s.

It's a bit far fetched, mate.

Robimus likes this.
  16. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, come on...surely there are more people here with opinions of their own? Of course it's far fetched, who said it isn't?

What do you know about history? I'm not challenging you or anything, I would would just like to know if you had ever looked at orders of knighthood before, fraternal societies or military orders when you consider your dismissal?

How about the martial arts? Have you ever practiced any? If so, what was it? Do you know anything about samurai history in particular or the basis for their myths?

Have you ever participated in a fraternal order before? If so, which one?

...and what is wrong with blending religion and philosophy with military arts?

that was an excellent summary of the concept but I would like to know from your point of view what elements you thik are exaggerated and what you think my aims are? REally I am interested sheerly for the sake of discussion and if we just automatically dismiss the topic, then we can't have a discussion. :-(. Can anyone else give some remarks on this in case present company isn't really interested?

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Aren't they already an official religion in New Zealand?

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Sith93Apprentice

The Jedi are, of course, a fictional organisation.

That said, "The Jedi Path" and "Jedi vs Sith - the Essential Guide to the Force" should give you all the information that you need on the fictional Jedi.

The nearest Real Life equivalents that I can think of are the Knights Templar (like the fictional Jedi, purged on the orders of a secular authority) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar

and the Knights Hospitaller (which seems still to be extant) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Hospitaller

19. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Hmm, you have some interesting Ideas. I for one would not be opposed to a boy scouts/martial arts program based on the Jedi Order. This could actually be quite fun and for both the kids and the parents to be involved in. If it helps the parents teach good human values and discipline to their children, then it's something that could be very useful in the world today where it seems that more and more children are growing up to be selfish spoiled brats who have no self control.

Evil.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Well said, Sir!

21. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm a little upset with most of the replies to this topic. I know the EUC isn't typically a place where people float around ideas like this, but you guys could at least take this idea that you see as silly and far-fetched and make it into something plausible. That's kind of the point of topics like this, to take a silly idea and see what the group can make of it.

Sorry for the little rant, but I felt that something needed to be said.

Evil.

22. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    Don't apologize, Evil. Well said.

For education, you could include meditation. Both the metaphysical warrior monk and existential philosopher.

23. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    Pudding, curry, and a dash of the ol' daring do.

Or, so as not to totally piss off Evil King Wiggins, one part Siddhartha Guatama and one part Miyamoto Musashi.

24. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    The opposite of an Sith.
    Or near-opposite, anyways.

25. Sith93Apprentice

Sep 7, 2012
    Exactly! Yes! There could be a great deal of benefit derived for those involved. I have to get our family off to our class so I'll have to check back later. Thanks everyone for taking the time to consider weird ideas. ..

I found this post unsent tonight, sO I'm just appending this report: After class today I found out one of our parent schools in our network is starting a Jedi sword training boot camp and seminar series teaching kids basic bokken skills. They're going to make some posters, get some costumes and some schools might even make their own action skits and video them. Awesome! I'm bring my Force FX sabers and I totally need to add a couple to the collection. Fighting with 2 of those green Yoda glow sticks will look AWESOME with Modern Arnis and Escrima. HA! I feel the Force working in this already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.