main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where do marvel comics fit in

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Aug 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Nah Valiento, I knew that cuz I read 'em.

My timeline's had 'em like that since Vader's Quest came out, and I spoke to the author.

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    TEA comes before GOF

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "TEA comes before GOF"

Nope TEA comes after gof on the official timelines. actually GOF sort of rests on top of the timeline with the rest of the stuff.

4. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    goe under members.iquest.net/~schulkekj/swtline.htm

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    One question is that official? I don't think so, sorry bub. The "Essential Chronology",[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345434390.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg], is the only official timeline and trumps any unofficial site.

6. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    ok, read the list of stories between AH and TESB.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I did in the Essential Chronology, the one and only "official" timeline, besides the DH, and the Del rey timelines.

Unofficial is invalid in these discussions.

8. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    SHUTUP about the OFFICIAL timeline. Read The List

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I did read your "unoffical rubbish", and it has so many flaws It can't even be used as useful in an arguement, it's completely invalid.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    So does TimeTales. I only use it for story summaries. It should get a big overhaul before AotC hits.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Sturm yes you are indeed right, tell it to him, :D, I'm forever having to suggest corrections to that ongoing expansive "unofficial" timeline.

12. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Seriously...I think Gatherer does a great job. It's just that it's getting so big and expanded, and numerous errors are being forgotten about. I actually don't even have time to suggest corrections. There's too many. I'm just going to stick to my own timeline, and everyone can judge it in 2005 or so. LOL.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Did I say gatherer wasn't doing a great job?

In anycase with such a big timeline errors are bound to crop up. Dan Wallace mentioned it's bound to crop up in Official sources and does so frequently as well. Luckily there's always ways to fix errors in are own minds, or other sources.

14. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Look Valiento, I dont care about the unoficial/official timeline. My list reads

A new Hope, Vaders Quest, TEA, GOF 1-6, JTH Art Of The Deal,GOF 1-9, River Of Chaos, CSW 1-2, SOTME, CSW 3, GOF 10-12, TESB.
    WouldU please read me your official list like ive asked U 10 Million times?!

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Don't get testy, :p, I gave you the list already look above(It's in order of how the book's timeline placed it).

Art of the deal takes 5 years before ANH, by the way.

If this helps here's the official comic, and novel only timelines:

DH timeline

delrey timeline

I can list you out the combined timeline in the EC later.

16. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    In my opinion, the timeline in the back of the EC is great as a checklist, but as far as an accurate chronology, it's not very good. Now MY timeline on the other hand...:)

The Early Adventures is spread out all over the timeline. It's not set in one specific place. The timeline in the back of the EC is just a list, not an accurate timeline.

Slimybug, I'd post what order I have everything (and I mean everything), but not right now. By the way, the order you have things in Slimybug, is incorrect. Just thought I'd point that out.

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Maveric, and slimybug, note:

The official timeline list goes starting from ANH(paraphrased slightly for your clarity, and note books rest right on top of each other, happening at the exact same time as another, the timeline can only show what happens at certain timeframes(It would take a layered clear plastic overlay timelines to truly show an accurate representation of how things rest, beyond that for a one layer paper, that's what the Headings are for), I chose to leave that info off, just to make my typing easier);

ANH, TFTMEC anthology, vader's quest, boba fet salvage, bounty hunter wars flashbacks, classic star wars issues 1-17, shadow stalker, marvel 7-38, GOF 1-12, Dark Forces(Darktrooper project), Rogue Squadron: 3D, river of Chaos, TEA, SOTME, classic star wars 17-20, rebel mission to ord mantell audio adventure, TESB, TOTBH anthology, Tiefighter(Stele Chronicles), rebel assault 2:the hidden empire, marvel 45-80, shadows of the empire(comics, game, novel for the complete story), battle of the bounty hunters, x-wing alliance(Saga of Ace Azzameen), ROTJ, TFJP, the mandalorian armor, slave ship, hard merchandise, jabba tape, truce at bakura, marvel 87-107(vandelhelm mission is issue 98), x-wing issues 1-20, mara jade:by the emperor's hand, SOTE: evolution, X-wing issues 21-35, boba fett: Twin Engines of Destruction, Glove of darth vader, lost city of the jedi, zorba the hutt's revenge, mission from mount yoda, queen of the empire, prophets of the darkside, Jedi Knight (game, rebel agent, and Jedi Knight), X-wing novels 1-7, courtship of princess leia, TTT, x-wing novel 8, dark empire, Mysteries of the sith, boba fett: death lies and treachery, dark empire 2, empire's end, crimson empire 1&2, JAT, children of the jedi, dark saber, x-wing novel 9, planet of twilight, JA:leviathan, Chrystal star, Black Fleet crisis, The New rebellion, the correlian trilogy, Hand of thrawn duology, JJK, YJK, then it hints at NJO timeperiod(for the book is an inuniverse document written by GFFA Historians, right before the vong invasion, it's there history so they know what happened over the years).

18. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    My point still stands...it's a checklist.

Beyond that, there are problems even with that. The EC points out that the Rebels Evacuate Yavin 6 months after A New Hope. So how then, can The Early Adventures take place after Galaxy of Fear (which STARTS at 6 months ASW4) and still make references to the rebel base?

It's not accurate, and if you read that period of time in the order it says, you'll be thoroughly confused.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    No it's a "timeline", in chronological and time period sequence, as it says on page, 169, and it doesn't confuse me, because I understand how the Headings above each section works. For instance BHW, present, happens cocurrently with ROTJ, there is no way to show that but to place the same heading over both it and ROTJ. That is what the timeline does, as for it's past section, that's placed back were it goes, but it too happens cocurrently with another item under a certain heading.

Now I don't know what you do, but if your want to go for more accuracy, you have to place several books stacked in the same section of your bookshelf to show that they all happen at the exact same time. But for me It's easy for me to understand that they happen at the same time in my mind, and just place them side by side were it looks nice.

20. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    What headings are you referring to?

You mean the ones like "0.5 - 2 A.B.Y. - Imperial Counterstrike" ?

Because if that is the heading you're referring to, then yes, it does indeed say that the Early Adventures take place after the evacuation, which is just dead wrong.

On the first page of the "timeline" (p.169), it says that this is all simply "Approximate", and therefore, not completely accurate.

21. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Hey that's fine. My bookshelf is the same way. In fact, my bookshelf order is quite similar to what's listed in the timeline.

But my timeline breaks things up, and yes, I understand that they couldn't really do that with the chronology.

However, it's still not infallible. It's an incredible piece of work, with some great references, some great continuity hooks, etc. But it's far from perfect, and certainly forgets a few things, and puts things in incorrect order. Where's Galaxy of Fear: The Brain Spiders?

"Eh, **** it dude, let's go bowling." I think we're basically arguing the same point.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    You'll notice that EC and DH place the TEA all in the exact same spot, "aproximation is used of course". These timelines are the ones used by authors, and gamer when refrencing these stories by the way, so article like Blackhole's article in gamer #5 was based off of these timelines. as for refrences to the rebel base which story in TEA(one you tell, me I'll read it and discuss that one in more detail)?

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "However, it's still not infallible."

I never said it was perfect, just that that's what lfl goes by.

"It's an incredible piece of work, with some great references, some great continuity hooks, etc. But it's far from perfect, and certainly forgets a few things, and puts things in incorrect order."

Which is also true to an extent, I talked to dan wallace and he says no star wars work is perfect, and musses things up. When material grows to that level of amount, things are bound to crop up. That's why fixes are made at later times.

"Where's Galaxy of Fear: The Brain Spiders?"

I don't see it as an omission but a typo, a mistake to misnumber, and skip something, because the series is so long. we know it's part of the official timeline anyways, because of LFL's polices and stances. Same reason that you find Ewoks missing from the timeline but it too is part of continuity.

24. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Valiento I knew about that dark horse timeline you gave me i have it bookmarked how do U think i got my timeline. So my time line reads

ANH, Marvel 1-35, Vaders Quest, Marvel 36-38,TEA, GOF 1-6, JTHAOTD, GOF 7-9, CSW 1-2, SOTME, CSW3, GOF 10-12, TESB

now thanks to U guys I know thats wrong so could U take that mix it around and rearange it for me?

25. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    You'll notice that EC and DH place the TEA all in the exact same spot, "aproximation is used of course".

Yeah, but at least Dark Horse has it set BEFORE the evacuation, as opposed to the Chronology which has it after.

"These timelines are the ones used by authors, and gamer when refrencing these stories by the way, so article like Blackhole's article in gamer #5 was based off of these timelines. "

Do you have proof that Abel Pena used the Chronology for the dating he used in his article? Dan Wallance and Abel Pena are both members of the Star Wars Fanboy Association (of which I'm a member as well http://starwars-rpg.net/swfa/main.html) and I'm more then certain that he would try and get as accurate as possible in dating a story.

"...as for refrences to the rebel base which story in TEA(one you tell, me I'll read it and discuss that one in more detail)? "

A) Issue 1 - 3 - Vader is not using Executor
    B) Issue 4 - Luke gets a call from "Massassi Base"
    C) Issue 5 - Vader's not using Executor
    D)Issue 7 - Vaders not using Executor
    E) Vader's not using Executor

Ok, Vader's ship is pretty important. It's one of the reasons Vader held off on the attack on Yavin. He wanted his ship to be complete.

I believe the only issue that can take place where they have it is Issue 9. In issue 6, Han's working for Jabba again ,so one can surmise this occurs when Jabba and him are on good terms again, during the Marvel series, or BEFORE THE EVACUATION.

Look, before anyone accuses me of slandering the book, let me just say, that I think it's perhaps one of the most thoughtful, well written, and accurate Star Wars Reference books ever published. Dan Wallance is a great writer, and a personal correspondent, and I respect the guy greatly. He's awsome. The book's as accurate as they could have made it, I just think the timeline in the back could use a little work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.