main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Lightsaber Technique, Or Form, Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Dec 1, 2002.

?

Which Lightsaber Technique, Or Form, Do You Use?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2002.
  1. Form I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Form II

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Form III

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Form IV

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Form V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Form VI

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Form VII

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  8. Either I'm neither a Jedi or Sith, so I don't use any lightsaber form... or I don't care.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
  2. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm a Form VII... I bring it tough like Form V (Vader's style), yet I can maintain calmness in the Force, thus allowing me to attack relentlessly and defend minimally... yet still keep my hate under control. Mace Windu is one of the few people to use this form along with me. :D

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    My lightsaber form of choice is Form III. As described in issue #62 of Star Wars Insider:

The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in respons to the advancement of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these weapons spread widely into the hands of evil-doers, Jedi had to developunique means of defending themselves. Form III thus arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this origin to become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Form III maximizes defensive protection in a style characterized by tight, efficient movements that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some other forms.

As demonstrated during many of our lightsaber battles, I tend to focus more on a counter-offensive strategy. Allowing my opponent to make the first move, then go on the offensive.

True Form III masters are considered invincible.
    While I'm well aware of my limitations, and that a number of people have managed to get the better of me (including my own padawan)...this lightsaber technique seems to work the best for my abilities. My goal is to continue to master Form III lightsaber, much like the legendary Obi-Wan Kenobi.

4. jangoboy71

jangoboy71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2002
    i think that the style vii was very simple but yet effective

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Of course you would... YOU LOST YOUR HEAD BECAUSE OF IT!!! :D

6. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Jango, did you vote for Form VII or that you are other... I couldn't tell because you're a bounty hunter, yet you posted about your respect for Form VII...

And who cast the other vote?

7. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I'm somewhere between IV and V,I think.

8. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    You're acrobatic Idgie? I would try and become Form IV if I could learn some gymnastics and acrobatics...

9. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I do not use the Star Wars forms of sabering, I found I am better using my Fencing training technieques.

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Actually, that could classify you as a Form II lightsaber fighter. I knew you'd said you done some fencing training...and believe me he's very good at it; but if you had to choose one of the seven lightsaber forms...Form II (Count Dooku) would be it for you.

One thing that's been mentioned in the past has been the reality of our lack of Force-powers (which put a cramp in Form IV or VII) This is just a fun discussion of which technique would you choose to study (if we were really training to be jedi) When your playing in the backyard, what kind of jedi (or Sith) do you want to be?

11. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Because I don't have the magazine right in front of me... I can't be sure, but I didn't think that Form VII really involved any acrobatics, or anything that the typical human without the Force couldn't perform...
    If you're referring to that huge jump Mace performed in the arena, that didn't really have anything to do with his style of fighting... I was just saying the form I most closely associate with is VII, but if I were going to be a Jedi, I'd probably study a combination of Form VII and Form IV due to the wicked acrobatics IV has to offer. However, Form IV is ridiculously difficult... as exemplified by Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in TPM, and Yoda in AOTC.

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Form VII employs bold, direct movements, more open and kinetic than Form V but not so elaborate in appearance as Form IV. In addition to very advanced Force-assisted jumps and movements, Form VII tactics over-whelm oppenents with seemingly unconnected staccato sequesnces, making the Form highly unpredictable in battle.

So Mace Windu's high flying moves in the arena were in keeping with Form VII style.

Try to think about what form fits best with your personal experience. Her'e some of my observations:
    Cindy is a very formidible Form V because some jedi describe by the maxim "peace through superior firepower"

BMack, on the other hand is a very good Form VI...for when he balances the emphasis of the other forms with overall moderation; as his takes more interest in planning a sequence, rather then just improvision.

Padawan has grown from her basic Form I training (by myself) into a very skilled Form II practicioner. She has taken to the Count Dooku lightsaber and the precision of blade manipulation that comes along with it. It would be interesting to see how she would do with a trained fencer/Form II fighter like Jedi Knight Pas Jo Dacle.

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, except for the Force assisted jumps and movements, I would say that Form VII pretty much does describe my style, down to a tee...

14. jangoboy71

jangoboy71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2002
    random i voted for vii (i learned a lot about it after getting my head cut off with it :D )

15. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Well since NONE OF IT IS REAL ANYWAY... I would say we all are 1 give or take a few others but for me I like the form 2 because I like the curve and that fencing type of style.

16. SwordChick

SwordChick Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I'm really not sure what I am but I think I'm a form V with a little bit of form IV mixed in.

17. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    It real Padawan...it's real.

:)

18. cerumblue

cerumblue Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    The kind of form I would use would be Form V. I really like this form because it shows how powerful a true Jedi really is.

19. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I dunno about form VI Krash...

Which is closest to "Drunken Monkey"

-b-

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Don't worry B, it was the only thing I could think of to best describe your interest in choreography of lightsaber fights.

As for the "Drunken Monkey"...the unpredictability would translate into Form VII.

21. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    First if it is SO real why can't we do it or use it. Maybe are "jedi masters and sith" can show us next meeting the "power" of the force.

And second I want to know where your "headless chicken" would fit in as well. :D :D

22. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    (general philosophical though...directed at NOBODY IN PARTICULAR)

I don't know what it is about "the Force" and specifically lightsaber ability that interests most people. Alot of fans take it too serious, to the point where they actually believe they can do the kinds of things they see on screen.

But it's fun to dream about it...and when the opportunity arrives, to play (just for a little while) in that dream. When Emily and I are in the backyard "training"...it's just play. When we're at the cookout...or Cindy's pool party...or the soccer game...or Steve's house...it's just play.

I'd hoped that one of the things about this Fanforce was that it ALWAYS remained about having fun, and getting to "play" with other fans of SW. And for my own padawan to have doubts about that, make me realize just how far out of hand things have gotten.

23. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Dude, if I had The Force as depited in SW...

I'd be a phenomenal second-baseman...

And I guess this leads me to a moderate interest in what everyone else would do if they had The Force in the real world. And mind you, in "the real world," lightsabres do not exist.

-b-

24. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I like to play too... and have a good time just as much as anyone. However... I do take pride in my swordsmanship. Look, I may have acted a bit egotistical (yes, a bit... no smart remarks about that part of it, I'm being honest here... appreciate that and don't be cynical to my post) after several fights, but I guess I could be compared to Samuel L. Jackson (NOT Mace Windu the character, Samuel L. Jackson the person) wanting recognition to be known as the 2nd baddest in the universe... I'm sorry if you people saber fight at face value just for the fun of it, and I may have upset you... I am just a competitive person with regards to saberfighting. While it is immensely fun for me as well, when I play, I play to win. As for my "Anakin head-trip" or whatever Geoff wants to call it, there are a number of parallels between Anakin and I. When I "went over to the Dark Side" I was in the heat of the moment and wasn't exactly acting like myself. While I think the parallels between Anakin and I are cool... I DON'T THINK I'M ANAKIN. (If I say I'm the Chosen One or whatever, which I don't think I will after this to prevent backlash, IT'S IN JEST, DON'T TAKE IT AS FACE VALUE, I'M TELLING YOU NOW!!!) Moving on, I will do my best to just have fun with people during battles, but if 1. people didn't keep bringing past fights up (I think some people enjoy pushing my buttons whether on these boards or on MSN- Geoff, Don; although I can't say that Idgie and other R2ers have been very helpful either) and 2. didn't change the facts about these fights, then it wouldn't cause me to give another schpeel and upset more people. Look people, I don't know if you know how much I enjoy being a part of this Fanforce, but it is one of the bigger priorities in my life right now... and it means a lot to me. I want to accept all of you and be accepted in return. Geoff, if you want me to direct something personal to you as opposed to generalizing the entire group, I have said it before, and I'll say it again. You and I are a lot alike. Sometimes in organizations like this, that makes for a bad combination, and egos come into play. I will stop "bragging" as long as people (not just you Geoff) don't bring up fights after the fact... that way differing points of view won't clash, and facts won't be altered, and all will have a good time. If we can all agree, then all should be good again. Why don't we all ally and take on another Fanforce like Columbus or Detroit as one like we originally wanted to? Let us all unite and keep the peace and harmony in the galaxy like the Jedi we are.

*ignites saber to serve the Cleveland Jedi*

[|BMF|o]=================================

(For the record, I've put a lot of pride aside to post this, I could have gone on a backlash tirade... I'm trying to be a man about this everyone, Geoff in particular. I don't think any conflicts are caused by just one person... no one is totally at fault. Geoff, I'm telling you if anything I said that upset you seemed like it was directed at you, it wasn't... that might be how you interpreted it... but it wasn't. So can you apologize to me for "low blows," etc.? I ask that you be a man about this too. I want to get along, and I have no hard feelings. I made some posts that you may have repeatedly misunderstood, and I will admit they may have been ambiguous, but I do joke around, and if that is hard to distinguish from when I am serious, then ask me whether I am joking or not before posting. So please, no snide remarks... I am being honest with everyone and trying to make peace. My fingers hurt now.)

25. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    Just because you play to win does not mean you have to seak (meaning it or not) that you are the best out of all of us. Yes you more then likley didn't mean it in that way, but like we said before...what you write may come out differently then what you mean, and we cannot tell what you mean. I too play to win and hate to loss but if I won I don't call myself the best or think that way either.

And I do think of it as just "play" but sometimes I have to go into my "dream" spot and think of it as real...it's a lot more fun to imagine myself in the stories like Jedi Quest and Jedi Apperentice fighting in the fights...my favorite was from Rogue Planet at the end! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.