main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who exactly knew Padme was pregnant?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Was it ever said? We know Anakin and Threepio knew, Obi-Wan later. I think Typho did. But who exactly knew?

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty positive that Artoo and the Handmaidens would know as well.

I'm wondering if she told her family, or if they were kept in the dark until she died. :confused:

3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I was under the impression that it was not so much her pregnancy that was a secret, but her affair with Anakin and that he was the father. However, there is an interesting moment in Revenge of the Sith where Lucas displays a great use of storytelling through inference. It’s the scene between Obi-Wan and Padme concerning the corruption and whereabouts of Anakin; it ends with the rhetorical question, "Anakin is the father, isn’t he?" To me this suggests, if not downright implies, that Obi-Wan has known or at least suspected for some time the totality of this forbidden relationship and was hiding the truth from the Counsel to protect his friend but also hiding it from Anakin himself to maintain an even keel. It subtlety reveals that Obi-Wan has been quietly dealing with this issue on his own -- his conflicting loyalty between the Jedi Order and his closest friend/brother/apprentice -- which makes the character that much more complex. Subtle but economical as well: Lucas had a much broader canvas to cover within a limited running time and thus could not give center stage to every subplot and branching storyline. So, instead, he layered the drama in a way that further explored characters via subtext or through precise evocation. It is a rather elliptical, shorthand style, but it works, at least in my opinion.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Obi-Wan knew all along about Anakin and Padme's relationship as well, and knew instantly that Anakin was the father. It was indicated in one of the ROTS source books that her handmaidens and Typho knew. I don't know that anyone else knew--or if they figured out that she was pregnant, then they had no idea who the father was and didn't ask.

5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I've been asking myself this very question since May 2005

Darth Dnej and Order66Survivor like this.
  6. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Palpatine. Because he knows everything.

7. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    'Everything' except......how to save people from dying. [face_not_talking];)

8. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Ten republican credits says he did.

Really, how would Palpatine benefit from disclosing the secret? His prospective slave was sleeping with an idealistic Senator who gave him an actual reason to live.

There's no way around it. Dead wife and kid = A submissive Vader

SithStarSlayer and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Didn't he say something like "together we will discover the secret"? I don't remember (I've only watched that ROTS scene once).

If he actually did know, it would make Anakin look a little less gullible, but I was under the impression that he didn't.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  10. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Palpatine is stalling for time, augmenting the nature of the lure just long enough to finish business at the Temple and Mustafar. No matter what happened, Padme would die, Anakin would become completely tethered, and, IMO, he'd have his immortality secret all to himself.

Oh, and what kind of AnakinFanSince1983 only watches Revenge of the Sith once?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One that can't stand the movie. ;)

I've seen the first hour of it several times, but I always turn it off after the ruminations scene. My son has actually asked, "Why do you leave the room when Anakin turns into a bad guy?" Because, as Obi-Wan said, I cannot bear to watch.

12. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    So it's not a question of quality, but of content? OK. That's pretty much why I refuse to see Irreversible, even though I fancy Monica Bellucci to be the most luminescent actress alive.

If such is the case, might I suggest turning the movie off after the balcony scene, and pretend the lovers lived happily after after? (But then again...Christensen is shirtless in the subsequent scene. So there's that dilemma.)

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, it's entirely about content.

And while I don't turn the film off after the balcony scene, I have been known to turn it off after the scene in which Anakin talks to Padme about his nightmare.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Maybe Yoda did, too. His comment about having Obi-Wan ask Padme where Anakin was implies he might know about the affair. I would guess Windu might have, also. He seemed like he had a difference of opinion of Anakin in ROTS, and I'm sure this stems from his awareness of Skywalker's rebellious acts in Episode II and some that happened before Episode III.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the obvious knew... Obi-Wan but kept quiet out of loyalty to Anakin, perhaps hoping that Anakin would trust him enough to let him know; Typho and the handmaidens as well, maybe Bail Organa suspecting but not really knowing for sure; and I believe Palpatine knew and implanted the 'Padme will die in childbirth' nightmare to Anakin. Anakin's previous vision regarding his mother was happening in the hear and now, he didn't get forewarning of that, and Anakin did tell Palpatine about what happened to his mother so he knew what the weak link was. Also, doesn't Sidious say 'save your wife from dying?' and Anakin had never told him - that is said on screen - about the nightmare of Padme or of her pregnancy so that suggests that he knew as well.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Palpatine supposedly knew about the marriage due to his contacts with the Naboo clergy. I don't know that he knew about the pregnancy and I could go either way on whether he knew about the visions; a part of me thinks that he was planning to kill Padme if Anakin refused to turn, and thus he meant that Anakin joining him would literally save Padme from certain death.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I didn't think she hide the being pregnant part. She is showing later on. Did she know she was having twins? I'm sure she would know that before giving birth. Did she keep it from akanin

18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure. Perhaps she didn't want to find out the sex, so she just didn't get an ultrasound? Even though she really should have. (Read: everybody needs an ultrasound, just ask the doctor not to tell you :rolleyes: ) This is another thing that bugs me as well about her pregnancy.

Anakinfan, you make a good point. He is a Sith lord and a politician. Why couldn't he twist his words, and make them work whether the Force would destine her to die or if he would kill her.

19. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I am not a prequel bashed and I love them but Lucas seemed to just rushed to work things in. Like a after thought. Like ok,she has to have the twins, so she is pregnant and no real thought in it

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  20. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

Sadly, Padmé was one of the most rushed. She had so many opportunities for character development. :(

Another thing, do you think Mothma would have known? Or the other members of the Delegation of 2000? They were all close friends, it seemed.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly she asked her medical droid not to tell her.

22. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    So she would just not ask to be told if she was having twins? She didn't need to know all of the details, but having twins instead of a single birth is a bit of a big deal.
    And any source?

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ROTS novel IIRC.

24. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Yes but she would be bigger with twins right

Also why doesn't Anakin arm have the skin on it like luke. If sure if they can make a robot hand they could make skin. It wasn't a new idea was it

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    It would progress faster, e.g. at 4 months you would look 5 or 6 months, 8-9 months you would be huge.

I'll check that out. I still think that's a bit unbelievable that she wouldn't at least know about the twins. (Ok, so even if she didn't get the ultrasound, I just still think she would want to know. She strikes me as the type to be prepared and have a plan.)