main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Who is the greatest US President in modern history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. George W. Bush

13.2%
  2. William Jefferson Clinton III

31.2%
  3. George Bush

0.8%
  4. Ronald Reagan

27.3%
  5. Jimmy Carter

3.4%
  6. Gerald Ford

0.8%
  7. Richard Nixon

1.8%
  8. Lyndon B. Johnson

1.0%
  9. John F. Kennedy

17.0%
  10. Dwight D. Eisenhower

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Bill Clinton...

2. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    who the hell would vote for Clinton

Me!

but only becasue i consider JFK's presidentcy to be in a completely different era.

3. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Clinton was a great politician but Reagon (along with Tahtcher and the Pope) won the cold war. That counts for more.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I voted JFK... ewwww there are a lot of votes for W. crazy people.

5. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Now, I'm no expert on Kennedy, but you're saying that he was going to waste American lives to prove a point, and then pull out without accomplishing anything?

Vaderbait, you're thinking of LBJ and Nixon. There were advisors in Vietnam ever since Eisenhower. JFK started out his term by sending more advisors over there. In mid-63 he started to reevaluate, on Nov. 20, 1963, after being told by Gen. Maxwell Taylor and McNamara that things in Vietnam were looking better and that the US would beable to withdraw all military personnel by the end of 65, JFK approved an "Accelerated Withdrawal Program. It was designed to carry out the promise to end all American military presence by the close of 1965. What is strange is that 2 days after JFK's assassination, LBJ signed the National Security Action Memorandum (NSAM) no. 273, which cancelled the troop withdrawal plan. It also changed the US objective from simply assisting the South Vietnamese to assisting them "to win" against the communists, and authorized plans for expanding the war into North Vietnam. The memorandum also ordered senior government officials not to contest or criticize the changes. So really it was JFK who wanted it to end, but unfortunately after our government killed him they were free to do whatever they wanted to do with LBJ.

I'll vote for JFK (FDR if he was part of it). I also find it funny that the "W" fans hate Clinton becaus he smoked pot, lied about gettting a BJ, and dodged the draft, but when "W" does pretty much the same thing it's alright and they accuse the "liberal Democratics" of trying to destroy America by making him look bad.

6. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Reagan took this country out of dispair turned us into the economic super giant we are today.

7. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    definitely ronald reagan.
    just look what he's done for the us economy! ;)

-Mel

8. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Clinton....hands down really....he made jobs and money! fathom that...we know W and Reagan couldnt do two things at once

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, presidents don't directly control the economy, and they can't be directly responsible for things like winning the Cold War either. It's hard to know how much of what happened during a given administration can be credited to the president.

I'm not sure who was the greatest, but I decided to vote for Carter because I admire him personally. Even though he was a Washington outsider and had trouble working with government and accomplishing things, I think he genuinely tried to help people, and he's continuing to do so to this day. That gets him a lot of points in my book.

10. Corran-Horn

Corran-Horn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2004
    People actually voted Clinton over Reagan?

:confused:

~Corran

11. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Clinton was a better President.

And Reagan certainly didn't "win the cold war". Sure he played a part, but the Soviets drove themselves into the ground. A great speaker, but as a President he needed some work.

My vote goes to Jack Kennedy.

12. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Clinton-Best role model for america's youth. The man changed this country for the better as opposed to the mess we're in now.

13. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    JFK and the gipper;)

14. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    clinton. looks like he won the poll.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The fact that Clinton leads this poll means...
    Oh, good grief.

*shakes his head violently, tries to forget seeing this poll*

I picked Bush--his leadership skills are the reason we are not a conquered nation, I believe.

16. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    FDR- led us through the Depression and WWII

Lincoln- Emancipation Proclamation and keeping the nation united

17. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    Clinton by a mile.

18. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    Ragan was the best prez. but Barbara Bush was the best 1st lady

19. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I voted for Ronald Reagan because he was one of the best presidents!

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    This is a real tough one as much as I like Clinton,I`m going to have to go with Reagan

21. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Reagan. Not only is he the greatest president of the Modern era, he is the greatest president of the 20th century. He won the Cold War, prevented WW3, and changed our economy.

22. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    I voted for JFK. I know he wasn't president for long, but the way he actually admitted making a mistake and taking the blame for the Bay of Pigs, and how he hadled the Cuban Missle Crisis puts him over the top for me. He was the last great president this country had, and I believe this counrty has gown down hill ever since he was assasinated. It scares me to think how Dubya would have handled the Missile Crisis.

23. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
  24. princesskenobi4

princesskenobi4 Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Anyone but Bush II.

25. qui-gon29

qui-gon29 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    FDR that guy had Polio and it never stopped him and he didn't cry about it he was faced with some of the toughest things in the 20th century but he persivered as did our nation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.