main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's the most annoying character in LFL history?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BEEF, Dec 31, 2001.

?

Who's the most annoying character in LFL history?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Jar Jar Binks

42.0%
  2. Rool and Franjean (The Brownies from Willow)

20.0%
  3. Other (Explain)

38.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Willie Scott and anyone associated with Howard the Duck, Lea Thompson's nude scene in All the Right Moves not withstanding :)

2. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Oooh, Thank's RoyalGuard! Forgot all about that scene in All the Right Moves. [Ferelwookie now has a good idea of an 80's movie he'll be renting this weekend. ;) ]

Seriously, I thought that HTD wasn't really that bad, really...then again I think Plan 9 From Outer Space is high art. To me, no one can beat Short Round on the annoy-o-meter. BIG MISTAKE!

3. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Is Howard the Duck worth renting? It's a LucasFilm, but did GL actually direct it? Assumedly not, but still I wanted to know.

4. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Lucas didn't write or direct "Howard the Duck", he only produced. The script was by his friends Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, with Huyck directing. Huyck and Katz co-wrote "American Graffitti" with Lucas, are rumoured to have done uncredited (and perhaps unused) scriptwork on the original "Star Wars", and wrote the script based on Lucas' story for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

-Dubya Fett

5. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    Jar-Jar doesn't change or develop in the Phantom Menace, either! He is the same idiotic, rude, annoying person he was in the beginning of the film. Look at the end battle. Also, he is supposed to have a life debt to Qui-Gon, but he doesn't even accompany Qui-Gon at the end of the movie. Qui-Gon then ends up dead. Great job honoring your "life debt" Jar-Jar. That was only a poorly written excuse to get him to be in the movie, so they could show off his CGI. Originally, Jar-Jar was a much better character, because:
    1. He didn't have those stupid speech patterns.
    2. He showed intelligence in the end battle.
    3. He gave a monologue with Boss Nass explaining that the Naboo weren't bad, which I like much better than that stupid "knowing where the sacred place is" thing. Why would Boss Nass believe Queen Amidala anyway? Why didn't he think she was just making things up, because she wanted something from him?

However, when the racial tension subplot was toned down, probably to make things more "light-hearted" (rolls eyes), Jar-Jar also lost his depth and became little more than a stupid device for cheap jokes. I also hate the fact that Jar-Jar stole from the Mos Espa merchant is supposed to be "funny". Larceny allows for high hilarity!

6. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Howard the duck isn't a lucasfilm project... This is a misconception that has always annoyed me.

Lucas was helping out a financially strapped buddy (from American Graffitti) and put his name as an executive producer - but Lucas had nothing to do with the production of this movie...

Have a look at this link, and show me other than executive producer, what input Lucas had into this movie...

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0091225

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I didn't find Willie Scott irritating at all. She was meant to be a parody of the screaming female from the serials that inspired the Indiana Jones films, and I think it worked very well. I didn't find Short Round annoying, either, although he could have easily have been, but I think it was both a combination of good writing and good acting that prevented that from happening, at least to me. The only character in a film that's really irritate me that I can think of is that Johnny person from Airplane!, but fortunately as he only comes in towards the end, he doesn't ruin the whole film, which is good news.

8. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    I find Temple of Doom to be better than TPM. For one thing, you actually feel a sense of dread for the characters, something that I feel is lacking from TPM. You wonder, "Will they get out of this okay?" even though you know that they will. There was nothing like that for me in TPM. Also, I'll take Willie Scott and Short Round over Jar-Jar Binks any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.