main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why all the Clone Wars Cartoon Backlash?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by R2-MeToo, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    And that is fine, too. I'll just have to be patient and hope for the best.

2. R2-MeToo

R2-MeToo Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2000
    Goodness, such strong emotions here!

Let me say this: I'm not advocating that we should all embrace all things Star Wars just because they ARE Star Wars. I, for example, am not a fan of the EU, in general. I've read several of the novels, and I just can't get into them. That being the case, I certainly can't say everyone should love everything Star Wars, because I don't myself.

What I'm trying to get across (and forgive me - I tend to be a bit "moronic") is that at least we HAVE new Star Wars! Sure, I don't read EU novels or comics, but I'm glad they exist. Same with the Clone Wars cartoon. At least we are being given something that some of us may enjoy (but not all of us, to be sure), rather than just being relegated to watching VHS tapes of the Original Trilogy over and over (although some of us do that, anyway).

If you don't care to watch The Clone Wars when it arrives, don't. I will, unless, after the first episode (yeah, yeah, three minutes hardly counts as an "episode" of anything), I decide that it sucks donkey. I'm keeping an open mind, though. I WANT it to be good. That's all I'm saying.

3. darth__vengeant

darth__vengeant Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    Its sounds so pethetic to me when people say "Ohh, its Star Wars..so I have to like it" "At least we HAVE Star Wars" or "I'll like it just BECAUSE its Star Wars" Well, some people have trendy tastes because thats what they are force fed on the mass media and they dont know any better. Some people, like myself and wife, go our own way...not because we want to be "different" (thats for high school kids) but becuase its so boring and repedative to like "trendy" things. People should NEVER like something JUST BECAUSE its "Star Wars" or "MTV" or "The Gap" and sithspawn like that. Do you know how weak minded that is?

Where will all the talent and imagination go if its just mass trends and the essembly line? Well, you have your answer....look at Movies now days. Look at the MTV "music" (more like a mathematical formula for CASH). Sequels and Prequels mania. Remake central. God, they are even remaking Dawn of the Dead and yet ANOTHER Halloween movie. LOL. WHat a bunch of GARBAGE!!!! But hey, its "garbage" so we have to like it, and we have to accept it because its "garbage" right? You getting my point now? Good.

I was excited to see a SW cartoon about the Clone Wars, but after seeing the art and knowing that SJ guy is doing it, AND its only 3 measly min a week....just forget it (as I stated in my earlier post)!! Im sure the voice acting will be good and the music, so i'll watch it for the story line and music (me being a musician). But, as usual, im tired of saying "Man, this could have been so much better if people would get of their a$# and do it RIGHT!" about everything now days.

So, I know some of you will think im "harsh" (and by the way, im quite "calm") in my view's, but hey, Ive been into this since 77 and ive seen it all go downhill. I have a whole storage space filled with Star Wars items and such. I also write music based in the Star Wars realm. Yes, I love Star Wars, but ALOT of it is CRAP! I dont like something just because its SW, never. I demand talent, and I demand the best or nothing. (Thats why I like Nintendo, less games, better games) Write developers and tell them your views and ideas to help them. People need to be pushed to do better or things will......like they have....go to pot. The drive to do better produces better people and better talent.

In the end...the Clone Wars Cartoon could be ALOT better. ALOT.

End of line---------

4. OwenSkywalker3

OwenSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    You know, I was fully prepared to NOT like the CW cartoon at first, but as soon as I saw the first report on TOS, I started watching as many episodes of SJ as I can (not easy, if you know anything about waht's been going on in my little world for the past couple weeks). And, I dunno, it has really GROWN on me. I didn't really think I'd like the cartoony art, but I kind of dig it now.

Also, I think I'm becoming paranoid about EpIII being the LAST STAR WARS FILM EVER, so I'm frantically enjoying as much "official" stuff as I can. AS I've mentioned in the past on these boards, I remember the long, dry, bitter years between the end of the Marvel Series and HTTE. Of course, it will only be the Until LAST STAR WARS FILM EVER UNTIL Rick McCallum decides he wants to SSSSSSSSSSSSQUEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZe a few more bucks from us knuckleheads...

Woody

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    And I did the same thing. I had never even heard of Samurai Jack until the Clone Wars information came about. So I watched a few episodes and felt like I was watching any of a thousand same-style cartoons that exist nowadays. I feel that particular style lacks creativity, depth, and it makes me feel like I'm watching Speed Racer or Pokémon.

6. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    ok i havent been a hardcore fan as long as some of you becuase i wasnt born back then but still im psyched about the cartoons as everyone im skeptical and even more as a artist myself and knowing very well that i could draw that kind of stuff in my science notes but you gotta look past that stuff and look at it this way that its Star Wars!!!!! i mean everyone got all pissy about episode 1 i personally liked it and then there are some things i dont like about it (Jar jar) anyway the short story still could be good and every star wars fan is gonna watch it dont tell me you wont i no you will how could anyone resist?

Forcebewitya!

7. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm with R2-MeToo's original rant.

I turn 32 this summer and I remember the days of always wanting more Star Wars in whatever form. Sure, if I get a chance to see the Holiday Special again for the first time since it originally aired, I'd probably pass it up, but back then it was exciting just to see more of Luke Skywalker and the gang. I can't tell you how far my eyeballs bulged out of their sockets upon first seeing Heir to the Empire on the bookstore shelves. Having come to terms with the fact that Star Wars may never return (Marvel had cancel the comic book series by then), I loved seeing it return in any form! Heck, the use of live-action actors in the computer game Dark Forces: Jedi Knight put a $#!+-eating grin on my face that I had trouble wiping off.

With the coming of Episode I, I had heard some bad things about it, and eventually agreed with a little of those bad things (I'm a Jar-Jar lover, BTW), but after seeing it for the first time, I let out a long sigh, saying, "Finally, I'm home again."

Now, with SW coming to the small screen, I'm thrilled once again. I wasn't one for the Ewok and Droid cartoons (I was at the age where waking up Saturday mornings to watch cartoons was not on my body's high priority list), but these cartoons (albeit obscenely short cartoons) I will hunt down to watch. Years ago, a friend at work turned me on to Dexter's Lab, and then when I discovered Samurai Jack, I couldn't be more please for the future of animation today.

:D

8. mrmoto

mrmoto Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    I just wanted to voice a positive opinion. I think star wars has always gone for the edge, the movies and even some of the subject matter in the books has pushed the envelope of what the SW world represents. I think the cartoon being only 2-3 minutes is along that approach, it will certainly leave you wanting more, which is better than being saturated with a half hour long bland cartoon. I also think that the Samurai Jack cartoon is pretty fresh. When I first heard about the cartoon I was excited to see what stories they would tell, I think it is interesting that the gap between EP II and EP III, is a real time 3 years. The filler inbetween, with books, games, cartoons, etc. is all part of giving the fans something in the mean time, I actually think it is kind of a gift ot the fans, if you will. Anyway I wanted to express a positive opinion because someone mentioned that there was very little voice on the up side. Lets see what happens, after all it hasn't even been released yet and at 3 min at least if you don't like it you don't have to spend too much time hating it. PEACE IN THESE TIMES

9. StitchExperiment626

StitchExperiment626 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    Samurai Jack is ok, but DarthSapient is right, star wars should be done better

10. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    I find that Samurai Jack is probably the best show on Cartoon Network. It has a very interesting plot line and it also has some emotion to go with it. I mean...he fails in every attempt to get home he's so frustrated yet every few episodes the ending is rather happy. I believe that Tartakofsky(?) or whatever will do an excelent job with Clone Wars. I am somewhat disappointed about the length..I would prefer a real season but you gotta do what you gotta do right? Tartakofsky is probably the busiest person in the Cartoon buisness considering all the show's he has his hands in. But anyway enough with this negativity about the show! It will be great and I can't wait until it comes out.

11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Bret Ratner seems to agree with the Samurai Jack SW connection. Here is a quote from him on why he is considering Samurai Jack as his next project.

Ratner added that Samurai Jack appeals to him because of a mythology that rivals that of the most popular SF universes. "I love things like Star Wars that have history and mythology and storytelling," Ratner said. "It's just a great character."

12. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "(Thats why I like Nintendo, less games, better games)"

TOTALLY AGREE!, and I get what your saying about the CW cartoons.

Forcebewitya!

13. YodasGroove

YodasGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    I am looking forward to it and also looking forward to see in what format George Lucas is going to do them.

I just saw AniMatrix, the 11 minute trailer in front of that new DreamCatcher movie. If they do it in that type of format or even better I think it will be well done. By 2005, the animation I'm sure will look even better.

Also if they go the Japanimation route, I think it will turn out well too. Whatever route he chooses, I'm sure it will be excellent, because GL's attention to detail is always phenominal.

14. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    GL has already chose the animation style, it is that of the TV show Samuri Jack.

Forcebewitya!

15. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    In the end...the Clone Wars Cartoon could be ALOT better. ALOT.

End of line---------

Funny, I didn't know that anyone had seen them yet. You are telling everyone that saying something is great "just because its star wars" is moronic but what seems even dumber than that is the fact that you are judging something you have yet to even expirience. Now that is moronic.

16. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Hmm...

I highly recomend that you stay away from the 3SA ;)

17. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    been there ;) , however the person I was quoting obviously had yet to see them basing thier facts on past work of the artists involved in this project.

18. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Personally, I can't wait for the Clone Wars cartoon. Samurai Jack is the best American-made cartoon I have ever seen, and I can't think of any American with a better eye for the possibilities of animation.

Stop worrying.

19. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    All I knew about the Clone Wars cartoon was that it was going to be on CT. Now I know that it's going to be done in Samurai Jack style by the guy who made that and Dexter's Laboratory and that it will be a piece of three minutes in between some cartoons! What were the people who made these decisions ??? I can see it now: "Padme, get me my saber, I must defend my la-bor-a-tor-ee!" Cut to Anakin staring at the Confederate droids for two of the three minutes, then jumping up in the air three times in three screens, then cut to the credits. See ya next week, folks, if you can make it through the rest of the crap we're putting out!
    This really turns me off. The only thing that might make me watch it is just to see how bad it is for the first, um...what would you call it, first particle of the "show." What was so bad about the Batman and Superman animated series? Couldn't they at least try to contact the makers of those shows? And like we're really gonna miss a rerun of The Powerpuff s that badly. You'd think they could spare a half hour of. In conclusion, I ask again, what were they ?

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I like how you're already complaining about a show that you haven't even seen yet.

There is no doubt now what your opinion of it will be. If you went in without any preconcieved notions, who knows, you just might have liked it.

21. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    I'm not saying I won't attempt to filter through the rest of the CN junk to check it out, and I may actually turn out liking it, but it doesn't look good. All I'm saying is that the known factors aren't making the show sound very alluring. But I will try to catch it.

22. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I can see it now: "Padme, get me my saber, I must defend my la-bor-a-tor-ee!" Cut to Anakin staring at the Confederate droids for two of the three minutes, then jumping up in the air three times in three screens, then cut to the credits. See ya next week, folks, if you can make it through the rest of the crap we're putting out!

LMAO! That was damn funny! Heh, they really should get the voice of Dexter for Anakin.

[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.