main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    He ticks pretty much all the boxes. He has the mystical and superhuman powers (best pilot out there, special force powers), has the exotic possession (special lightsaber). Has a unique/exotic origin and a tragic past (which are out of step with the consistency of the canon). He is completely a mary sue.

2. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    But the threatened Luke with really lazy sloth like creatures? After Storm Troopers, murdered and burned his adoptive family, blowing up a Death Star, coming to terms with his dark ancestry, facing Vader and The Emperor of his own free will on a Death Star about to be destroyed and they threaten him with a lazy ass sloth like creature! That sounds more like a comedic parody of Star Wars than anything else! No wonder Disney aren't touching Zahn with a bargepole. I guess commercial suicide and creative lunacy are not the order of the day!

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That was before the Prequels brah. And it was explained. I agree he's a Stu but there are much better charicters aside from him and Kyp. Kam is alright though **** everyone else by early Legacy era except Kyle and some others

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How else do you create threat for a Jedi Master by cutting off his powers with mere mooks equipped with the Mcguffin creatre. And guess what they still failed because he's ****ing Luke Skywalker, it even makes a point even without a connection to the Force he's formidable.

5. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I personally think the accusation of character being a Mary Sue has become so common and over the top that a mary sue accusation is itself a Mary Sue. This however entirely my own personal opinion. I don;t get care you main character has Mary Sue traits. All do in some form or fashion. All I care is how you pull it off, and the story you throw them into.

Esg likes this.
  6. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    That's a fair shout!!!

7. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Agreed, but Sloths????

8. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    The only surprise is that he didn't die laughing!!!!

9. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Is Mara Jade the new Mary Sue?

10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This thread makes me want padding for my computer for when I want to bang my head against it
    Jello do you sell any?

krtmd likes this.
  11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Except for Luke, Wedge and Tycho -- and Corran's been shot down/had his fighter disabled a few times

in compensation for being useless at Force Jump or Push/Pull (telekinesis)

which he built himself, to compete with Gantoris' feat (and which failed spectacularly when used in extended-mode on its first in-combat use)

Wedge and Tycho (and also Luke) share that same sort of 'baggage' -- not at all out of step with the canon. As for having been a member of Corsec, how unique is it to have been in a Police Force?

tjace and Esg like this.
  12. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Two thoughts on this argument.

1. As Vader said the power to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the force. Taking away your force ability is literally one of the most devastating things you could do to a Jedi. I'm not saying it is the greatest concept, but it is far more significant than you and others make it out to be.

2. While it drives me nuts when EU fans get overly defensive towards those who disagree with them, it drives me equally as nuts when those who do not like the EU hone in on small elements that are in tiny parts of the entirety of the EU, and make a bigger deal out of it then it usually is. It just seems a little silly to me to make such a huge emphasis over this one thing in the EU. I could easily do the same thing with the films and use it to say the entirety of the films are bad. Not syaing you need to like the EU. It just seems a little silly to make such a big deal over this.

Esg likes this.
  13. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree on your first point completely, it is by the medium of super sloth that I find hysterical, I mean by all means the discovery of a sect/bad ass warriors, who through years of studying and meditation on the force discovered away to resist or interfere with it! But a sloth?
    Digressing slightly I think Luke became a very strong person before he formally became a Jedi! And I hope they ditch the whole celibate monk angle for the sequels as this rule has obviously turned the Jedi into a boring and humourless bunch!

14. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Not everything needs to be humor....

Esg likes this.
  15. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    No doubt. However, that Jedi Council would have been dead weight whether they were getting any action or not.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi were never infallible

17. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    During the OT time I actually fantasised about being a Jedi, had I known in my youth that would require carrying my gonads around in a wheelbarrow I wouldn't have bothered!

18. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    All be it unintentional super sloth humour!

19. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    A very joyless, cold, boring life!

20. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    You'ld rather have Kryptonite?

21. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Nope! But as I have previously mentioned perhaps a sect of warriors that have perhaps studied and meditated on the force for generations and have perhaps found ways to resist/block it!

22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I don't think you understand the concept tim. Just because there is a reason for him to have all the elements of mary-sue doesn't make them not-elements of a mary-sue.

And a Jedi being married and having children? yues thats out of step with continuity.

23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Might I mention Anakin Skywalker? Or was that plot-point borrowed from the EU?

24. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Did Lucas not say recently that he did not consider the EU cannon and that he would have not have married Luke off, amongst other things?

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have a question, and bear in mind this is only based on an observation I've made from the first hundred pages of Heir to the Empire, and obviously I don't know where the story is going yet... but how is it that people can hold up the Thrawn trilogy as some kind of pinnacle of Star Wars done right, and yet make the claim that the prequels had too much politics in them? I'm not downing the politics in either, and I think they will be an essential part of the ST as well, just genuinely curious why it's ok in one but not the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.