main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why I've been away for a few days

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by Oakessteve, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Hello everybody. I'm sure cbjedi told you already, but for the last few days, I haven't been around on the boards much. I think a few of you know why already, but incase you don't, let me explain. A few days ago, my cat Molly got knocked down by a car and was killed. Some of the people who know me on here will probably have heard of Molly, and will probably remember this year's April Fool's joke, where a sock called Oakessteves_cat was promoted to moderator, and posted a thread in Communications about her new JC policy, all of which was very cat orientated. As you can tell, I was very fond of her, so suddenly her not being upset me, and my family, a great deal. I've always had a theory that when a family owes a cat, while the cat will probably like everybody in the family, there's always one person in particular who that cat will latch onto, and like especially. Molly was that cat for me. I think it's partly because I spent the most time with her as a kitten. She was a Christmas present to my mother, and I can still remember when we got her on Christmas Eve, and we had to smuggle her up to my room, hoping against hope my mother wouldn't go into my room, and spoil the surprise! So, I think it was because of that which is why I think, or at least, I hope, Molly always seemed so fond of me. She certainly always liked to sleep in my bedroom, and even when she well out of her kittenhood, she still enjoyed playing hide and seek with me, and gnawing on my leg, so it was always nice that she was still very kittenish.

I would go on, but I'd probably start to bore you all! But that's the reason why I've been away for so long.

2. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I used to have a cat too...

NO, I didn't eat her!!! She got real old and sick so we just put her to sleep... :(

Ah well, she lived long (she was an old cat when we got her, and lived another decade with us) and was generally happy. I almost kinda miss her laying down on the keyboard while I'm at the keyboard, attempting to type... Very annoying, I had to get her off, and after a few attempts, she'd just settle for lying atop the moniter. :)

3. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Awwww, I'm so sorry to hear about that Steve. :( Even though I don't know you too well yet, I've always thought you were a cat person, just by your sock! :) I'm sure everything will be ok, and I'm glad you took a couple of days to yourself to remember your cat. It's amazing how close we become to pets, huh? But everything about your cat latching on to one particular person can be said about dogs as well. My sister is that person for our dog. Anyway, I'm getting off topic...

It is good to have you back Steve, and I'm very sorry to hear about Molly. But trust me, your story about her wasn't boring me at all. :)

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. She was very famous around the JC because of your fondness for her. It's so sad when a beloved pet dies, especially when it's an accident or something sudden. :(

5. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    aw, Steve, I'm terribly sorry. It's really tough losing a pet, but I think everyone here has said pretty much all that can be said about something like this. I hope you are able to deal with the loss well, and I'm glad it gives you comfort that a large populace of the JC thinks of your cat when they hear the name Molly.

6. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Stephen. :(

I lost a cat when I was younger...it was really rough...so I know what you're goin' through, bud...

It's great to have ya back! :D

7. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Poor kitty. :( I'm sorry for you, Steve.

8. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm so sad to hear that, Steve! :( I loved having Molly around the JC, trying to enforce new rules, and she inspired me to let my cat have his own username.

I've never had a cat die, but two of my dogs have died in the past few years and each one was a horrible experience. I really feel for you, especially now that my baby is getting on the old side. You try to get yourself ready for something like that, but you never can. :( :_|

I hope someday you find another cat who only loves you. I know getting a new cat will never replace Molly in your heart, but for cat people it's hardly avoidable. :)

Jae Angel

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's sad! I can't have cats because my mom's allergic to them, but I think I would if I could. If you are nice to them as kittens, they can be very good pets. That's really too bad Steve :(

10. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Thanks everybody. One thing that I've been thinking recently is why do we have so much of an emotional attachment to our pets, especially when it comes to cats and dogs? The whole concept of a pet, when you think about it deep enough, seems very bizarre, so why is we have such affection for them? And seem to grief them so much when they've gone? I have a theory that with a cat or a dog that you're very close to, when they die, the feeling of lose that you have for them is much purer and more simple than when a human that you are close to dies. With a pet, they can never do anything to hurt you. Well, they can, like gnawing on your arm or whatever, but they can never hurt you emotionally, where as another human being can, so the mouring and grieving of a human is more complex. I'm probably not making much sense here, as I'm just typing very random thoughs that pop into my head, but I thought so long as it doesn't depress anybody, we might be able to discuss that sort of thing in here!

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yep. Unconditional love and acceptance. They just love you and want to be with you no matter what. It's a beautiful feeling.

12. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd never really thought about it like that before, Steve. Thanks for the new perspective :) It definately makes sense that we love them so much because they love us unconditionally and can't hurt us emotionally. I haven't had a pet since I was really young, but I get what you're talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.