main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    1) It was an incredible "twist" really... to learn that he was alive right up into the beginnings of Phantom Menace
    2) What gave you the impression that he was dead a long time? I'd be curious to know...

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    To be honest, the more I hear about this backstory, I'd really like to see a movie on it. Plaguies deceiving Sifo Dyas, training Sidious, and well... don't wanna give away a major spoiler but it all leads right into TPM. I'm totally gonna put reading the book on my to-do list now. lol

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, it was a big and annoyingly unexplained plot-hole in the PT, but I don't think having the character in the ST is the way to fix things. How would you explain where he had been for decades, and the fact he wasn't dead?

Sum-Wan likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    What about Boba Fett and Bossk in Slave I like in TCW? That'd be awesome!

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Remove Plagueis from the explanation given upthread and you have a perfectly suitable explanation with Sidious and Tyranus masterminding the plan and influencing Sifo-Dyas to create the Army.

Even without that Sith influence, we know that Jedi see events in the future, and Sifo-Dyas might have ordered the Army because of a vision he had. It's no longer relevant to a plot that has already run its course.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well... that's the mystery... :p

I'd like to think that the first few years he was simply trying to recover a physical form... and then he just bid his time patiently.
    I'm sure they could think of something cool... if I don't think of it first! ;)

I understand, and I would been against Plagueis's return if we were just talking about a new EU book series... but doesn't just the fact that there's going to be a Sequel Trilogy prove that the resolution at the end of ROTJ wasn't the resolution we thought it was?

George Lucas asked for this book to be written (after it was cancelled for years), and cooperated on this book as closely as he did for the official book adaptations of the movies. He even demanded very particular details, like demanding that Plagueis was a Muun and that he'd wear a mask to breathe, among other details. It's also very likely that Lucas was the one who demanded that Plagueis not be killed until the end of Episode I.

And Lucas has proven he closely follows at least some of the EU. Coruscant is from the EU, Aayla Secura is from the EU, just to name a few. One Christmas in the 90's, Lucas loved Dark Empire so much that he gave it out as gifts to his friends. Yeah, he overrides it when he thinks he has a better idea, but he takes a lot from it too.

Oh, I could definitely see "immortality" having negative side-effects to Plagueis... but I think that until the heroes learn of those weaknesses, he should appear powerful and terrifying. You don't want to the main villain of the ST to be a major step down from Vader and the Emperor.

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I guess it was Palatine's (sp?) age and I thought his taking over was all his idea. Put in to work before TPM. Always though of his as a master mind who been working on his plan for years.

8. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Never read a EU but I like to read it now.

9. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Where was Yoda in "New hope" or the 19 years before that? Hiding. duhhh

Jobertus and Summer Dreamer like this.
  10. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    That's the only way I can see him as a clone.maybe a test clone before jango. He aged in real time so by OT time he is like Luke's age. Maybe by between the Empire/Jedi movies Vader trained him or use him as a second idea his plan to get luke to turn didnt work

11. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Well he had no reason to be seen in ANH

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  12. Jair Crawford

Nov 3, 2012
    Perhaps... if Plagueis did return, it would be in the form of some Sith spirit (totally different from Jedi Force Ghosts), and Grand Master Luke, while training his new Jedi Order, is suddenly finding themselves up against Plagueis's minions, causing quite the conflict for the new fledgling republic, all leading up to the epic conclusion at Episode IX in which Anakin's Force Ghost is able to bind himself to the dark entity that is Plagueis, destroying the Sith once and for all?

That way, the prophecy still stands, it would mirror ROTJ, and, well... I could totally accept that.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    How would it ruin it? Because there was still a Sith around? There must always be a master and an apprentice. You cannot simply destroy the Darkside of the Force and bring balance, thats like saying you could cut yourself vertically in half and still live. I highly doubt it was the duty of the Chosen One to destroy the Sith anyway. From the impression I got, he was meant to defeat what the Force perceived as an anathema to itself. Palpatine was a perversion of the Force as Anakin was a vergence of it.

By defeating Palpatine, he brought balance back to the Force. There will always be a Darkside of the Force. Where there is Light there is Darkness. One cannot exist without the other. So where there are Jedi there will be Sith. Dooku is proof of that.

Besides no one said that the Chosen One was destined to bring peace to the galaxy or end the age old conflict between the Jedi and Sith. It was stated, very clearly, by Qui-Gon and Mace that he would "bring balance to the Force". He would not bring peace to the galaxy, he would not end wars, he would not have everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya.

He would simply bring balance to the Force and that was what was done with Palpatine's death and the destruction of the Jedi.

So no I do not believe that by bringing the Sith back in Ep7, that it would demean Anakin and Luke's actions in RotJ. Besides since Luke is the last Jedi in the galaxy, it would make sense to have the last Sith around. Why? Balance. One Jedi, One Sith. One Light, One Dark. Not Ten Thousand Jedi and Two Sith. Not Ten Thousand Sith and Two Jedi. :p

Wasn't it explained in a comic that Syfo Dias was placed in stasis by Dooku rather than actually killed by him? I believe his stasis pod was kept in Dooku's basement on Serenno. So yeah, thats a reasonable enough explaination as to where he's been for the last 30+ years.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He wasn't in A New Hope, but him hiding away for years was explained in the PT. We saw him go to Dagobah in ROTS.

An EU explaination is not the same as a movie one, the everyday viewer might not have read any outside material.
    Besides, the EU isn't canon and will likely be altered by any new films.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine's death. The ( incomplete ) destruction of the Jedi was not necessary to achieve balance. Anakin could have chosen differently in ROTS and in that case the prophecy would have been fulfilled without the destruction of the Jedi. Balance is not a Jedi/Sith head count.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sidious spent five years recuperating from Endor, and Maul spent over a decade being nuts before coming back. Plagueis could have been doing the same, for all we know, or puppeting everything from afar, via Lumiya and Vergere (by retcon)?

17. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Yea and I don't think he stayed there 24/7 like everyone else. I bet he went to Obi wan sometimes and I'm sure Obi came by

18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Not sure where people keep coming up with this stuff! Lucas kept very tight reigns on the EU on what they could/could not do. He has always tried to maintain continuity AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, which is what Pablo Hidalgo did for the PT. He provided research on any characters that were in the EU and the films as to not utterly destroy the universe as it's been created.

Only a few VERY SMALL things have fallen by the canonical way-side in the process. MOST of the EU should survive again, but some thing may change. i wouldn't expect a full swoop of EU destruction as some are suggesting.

Even to GL, continuity has been an important thing with Star Wars.

Iron_lord and Summer Dreamer like this.
  19. Mickeymousedroid

Mickeymousedroid Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd like to see some of the original characters in. I think it would be great to get Harrison Ford back and have Han killed off in the first half of episode 7. That would be a cool and dark opening that would blow people away. I think Mark Hamill should play Luke. He'll be the 'Obi-Wan' of the trilogy. The droids should be there. No Vader or Palpatine whatsoever. Have the likes of Lando, Ackbar in there too - but not major roles - just cameos. Maybe with Lando making an appearance in episodes 8 and 9. I don't want any EU characters. Maybe just have EU characters in the background. Getting the right villain is important. Maybe a return of the Sith, but this time they break the rule of just 2 and have several Sith Lords. Not sure what to do about Leia!! Or Chewie!!

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    An EU answer is not an acceptable answer to the movies failing to bring it up.

According to who?

21. Jair Crawford

Nov 3, 2012
    Well the more I think about it, there could be a way for it to work AND still keep the integrity of the prophecy and all that, as I said in reply to Summer Dreamer. And the more and more I think about it, the more I'm starting to like it. Say Plagueis does return, but not as a physical entity. He is able to create a disturbance physically for Luke and the new Jedi and the new republic. But not just that, he literally creates a disturbance in the Netherworld of the Force as well, so Luke and the Jedi have to fight this new and even darker threat and power, but since Plagueis isn't back in physical form, there is only one who can finish him once and for all... the one he helped to create... the Force Ghost of Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One. The final conflict that doesn't just sweep the galaxy, but also the very Netherworld and fabric of the Force!

The more I think about it... wow... how cool would it be if they went in that direction for this trilogy? It would explain so much, like Sifo-Dyas, how Qui-Gon discovered how Jedi could become Force Ghosts, and that Plagueis did learn to cheat death but creating the Chosen One still ultimately leads to his demise.

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I want there to be a Sith army in the next one!

23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Never said it was a numbers thing. But you have to admit if you have ten thousand Jedi of the Lightside of the Force and two Sith of the Darkside of the Force, the Force is kinda out of balance. All that Light and so little Dark. By destroying the Jedi Order down to just the one and having just one member of the Sith Order alive, the Force is in balance again simply because there isn't so many people using one side of it anymore.

You asked for an explanation, I gave you one that is canonically accepted. There is nothing that says Lucas could not use it as a way to explain Sifo-Dias return. And it is not that hard to put that explanation in the opening scroll. It could look something like:

WITH THE DESTRUCTION OF THE EVIL SITH AND THE​
    EMPIRE'S DEFEAT AT THE BATTLE OF ENDOR,​
    JEDI KNIGHT LUKE SKYWALKER GOES IN SEARCH OF​
    SURVIVING JEDI AND NEW POTENTIAL TO FILL THE​
    RANKS OF THE NEW JEDI ORDER.​

HE FINDS ONE SURVIVING JEDI THOUGHT TO BE LONG​
    DEAD FOR THIRTY YEARS, SLEEPING UNKNOWINGLY​
    THROUGH THE DECADES IN THE BASEMENT OF THE​
    EVIL COUNT DOOKU'S HOME ON SERENNO.​

FREED OF HIS FORCED SLUMBER, JEDI MASTER SIFO-​
    DIAS VOWS TO HELP THE SON OF ANAKIN SKYWALKER​
    TO REBUILD THE JEDI ORDER AND END THE CONFLICT​
    BETWEEN THE REBEL ALLIANCE AND THE GALACTIC​
    EMPIRE.​

BUT A NEW THREAT LOOMS ON THE HORIZON, ONE THAT​
    IS NOT PLEASED WITH THE DISCOVERY OF THE​
    SLEEPING JEDI MASTER...​

Cheesy, but you get my point.

24. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Didnt Lucas a whole back kind of make fun of how Han had kids and Luke was married like he didnt the idea

25. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Knowing a bit of the EU kind of lets me in on at least some author's interpertation of what came before (Lucas or not.).

But now just taking the film in to consideration I guess Palpatine does make it sound like he's telling a very old story about Pelagius to Anakin... but then, Palpatine doesn't actually tell us that Pelagius is is master for that matter. I think that much is infered, though not necessarily explicity.