main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will "Clone Wars" be considered canon or EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gungan_Sith_Lord, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gungan_Sith_Lord

Gungan_Sith_Lord Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    I have nothing against the EU, but I'm wondering if we can count on this being official or cannon, or is it forever going to reside in the EU bin (for good and for evil). I'd personally like to see it as the movie George couldn't make, but others will disagree.

Your thoughts?

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    TOS says it is EU. And I'm glad about it too, I don't want any Dark Jedi in canon.

3. Cellz

Cellz Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I agree. Count Dooku shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't have an apprentice. I can't wait for CW, though.

4. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I don't think the Dark Jedi is Dooku's apprentice. On TOS it says he hired her, I believe.

5. Utility_Belt

Utility_Belt Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    "forever going to reside in the EU bin"

Thats your opinion dude, not everyone's!!

And personally, i would consider the Clone Wars to be canon.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I was wondering how long it would be before somebody said the "c-word."

There's LFL's rules, and there TF.n's rules. For example, 3SA frowns on EU, while it's accepted in Lit (obviously)

I guess then it needs to be decided what the rules will be for this particular forum. Mods?

7. Cellz

Cellz Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't think the Dark Jedi is Dooku's apprentice. On TOS it says he hired her, I believe

I seem to remember reading something about "a Dark Jedi who wields two lightsabers with curved handles, similar to her master's weapon." Something like that, anyway. I can't seem to find it now, though....

8. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    If it's great: Canon. If it's not: EU!

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The Clone Wars: Cartoon Series will be part of the Expanded Universe.

10. zjibber

zjibber Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2003
    Yes, Clone Wars is in the EU section of the official site. But, that does not mean it is not canon! The way I see it, EU designates everything that is not Episodes 1-6. So, EU would be books, video games, comics, cartoons, etc, etc... Now, within EU then we can debate canon vs. non-canon. I think Clone Wars is unprecendented in that it specifically bridges Ep 2 to Ep 3. Therefore, I would assert that Clone Wars forms a 'canon' bridge between Ep 2 and Ep 3 and is canon. Of course, one way to find out for sure would be to ask the Jedi Council.

11. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Komari Vosa is not Ventress, Vosa was a former padawan of Dooku's who later joined the Bando Gora cult and was killed (in a way) by Jango (who was hired by Dooku).

13. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    though i would love for it to be considered Cannon. it will be EU.

14. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Where the heck is that Komari Vosa story from?

It seems the cartoon will be adapting her character into another made-up character.

15. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    check the asajj ventress thread she was a concept for epII but then lucas switched to dooku.

16. Aged-Master-Genghis

Aged-Master-Genghis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2000
    "Will 'Clone Wars' be considered canon or EU?"

Yes.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    We're currently discussing it here in Admin, but the current consensus is that for purpose of discussion, the Clone Wars cartoon is "canon" here in the Small Screen Forums. However, that policy also says not to present what's seen there as "irrefutable truth" in the Big Screen forums.

18. anakin_e

anakin_e Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    I think it should be considered canon, at least anything that doesn't contradict or not correlate with the films. I think we should tread carefully when looking for clues to episode III, but we must also all remember that once that one and the "archival edition" dvds are out that anything that "fits" in with these could be considered canon.

19. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I believe Clone Wars to be canon. To me all EU is canon. Also the Dark Jedi is just hired. She is not Dooku's apprentice. That would break the Sith code.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Where the heck is that Komari Vosa story from?<<

The Komari Vosa story (as well as how Jango was selected to be the template for the clone army) is primarily presented in the game Bounty Hunter, though she does have a cameo (when she was still a padawan) in the tie-in comic, Jango Fett: Open Seasons.

Edit- for a tad bit more fo a glimpse at this, you want to check out the following two cut scenes from the game:

TOS: Bounty Hunter Cut Scene #1

Lucasarts: Bounty Hunter Cut Scene #2

Vosa doesn't appear directly in them, though she is referred to.

Plus, it's pretty cool to see Jango played by Morrison once more-if only in voice ::)

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Note: I fully expect that everyone should find something in this post to piss them off, no matter where they stand on the EU and canon. :) [face_mischief]

This show is not one of the movies ? it expands off of the movies ? so it is EU. The official site supports this idea, putting it up as an EU feature. The EU is the official continuation of the story of the movies (excepting the parts of the EU that are Infinities). This show ties into the existing EU. So, this show is part of the official continuation of the story of Star Wars. That is undeniable.

Whether you accept that as being canon or not is your own choice. Personally, I see no practical difference between the idea of official continuation and canon, but that?s just me.

When this forum gets moderators officially, they will decide amongst themselves what this forums? policy on canon is. In 3SA, the EU cannot be held as canon, but in Literature, it is considered canon. I don?t think that a firm middle ground can really be found. You either consider the EU to be what happens outside the movies or you don?t. Given this forums placement, I think that this forum will, and maybe should, follow 3SA?s canon rules. The Literature forum can handle the tying in of ideas to the existing EU.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gandolf- if I may make a sugegstion: Perhaps, for the purposes of and within this forum, the topic of discussion can be considered canon- much like how the EU is treated as canon within the lit and related forums.

So, while the clone wars cartoon, ewok movies, droids and ewok cartoons would be considered canon within this forum, we could also factor in that they are indeed officially a part of the EU in the context of the greater whole that is Star Wars.

Otherwise, it would seem kind of silly to have a whole forum about a topic that you can't discuss as "absolute".

23. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    This whole "canon/non-canon" thing is curious to me.

It's all fiction. What does it matter? In my mind, the movies are the movies and everything else is, well, everything else.

But that's just me.

If you want to disregard some book, or comic or television show, that's your choice. If you want to incorporate it into the larger story in your mind, that's fine too. Heck, you could even incorporate fan fiction, if you wanted to! In the end, it's still all just fiction.

You don't need the OS to validate your imagination. :D

-Otis

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The Clone Wars series is obviously EU, as it is not in the PT or CT. As for canon, you can make up your own mind about that.

25. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    How about we just call it 1/2 Canon & 1/2 EU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.