main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Lee, of course i don't have the statistics to those assumptions. But, i think your statistics are neither very strong...Rottentomatoes and IMDB...are not very reliable because they are based on the Internet mainly and people's opinions vary a lot over short periods of time. But that's OK. So, i'n my Disclaimer i said: "this is only a personal opinion...." So, what i was talking about was just my opinion and beliefs and of course they are not demonstable. Of course it is not demonstable that high IQ spectators prefer different movies than average IQ people. But i just have that belief, if you don't like it, ignore it please. But i believe that usually (Not Always) high IQ people, and more importantly, people that knows about filming, like Directors, have different tastes than the average Joe. Demonstrable? No. But i don't think it's so "laughable" to think this, because it's in fact common sense: Believe me, high IQ people, in general, not only in movies, have different tastes than the average Joe, usually they like more elaborate jokes, elaborate plots, etc. Why? Well, because they can understand complex plots more easily, and they need the film to be a bit more elaborate, because they can easily detect lame plots and lame films. They need a more complex film to have fun. It's just common sense. It's not demonstrable, i agree with you on that.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Common sense? Really? I don't know. Certainly, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it would be a mistake to assert that high IQ people are less capable than the average person of enjoying "low brow" entertainment.

Heck, Mozart wasn't above composing Leck mich im Arsch (I'll leave it to you to translate that one ;)). Wikipedia even has an entire article about Mozart and his scatological humor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_and_scatology

Sometimes, it's the simplest joys in life that are the best, and it also depends on your frame of mind going in.

3. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, i don't know, Mozart can be can exception...and it's not that high IQ people can't enjoy a popcorn movie. Of course they can, but only from time to time. They can enjoy a lame joke, or a lame plot, or a lame dialogue......but only from time to time. I think the movies they usually enjoy aren't of that profile. Tarantino is a high IQ genious for me, and i know that he hates lame plots and lame CGI. And also, i have to tell something: i think i simplified too much with the "high IQ" thing. For me it's not only a high/low iq, but also the cultural background, the age, etc. There are a lot of factors. Maybe i'm wrong, but i have the feeling that someone with a high or normal IQ, with a good education, that has watched a lot of films: some popcorn, some indie films, some complex and inteligent films with elaborated plots, etc, someone that has been elaborating his sense of humor during all his life, someone who is not easily influenced by the media or by corporations. Fot THAT kind of person, i think it would be difficult to enjoy, on a regular basis, "low brow" entertainment, popcorn films, CGI action-packed films, etc.

Oh! And BTW, Scatological/Black Humor is not the same as Lame Humor. Big diffference. In fact, black humor can be quite intelligent.

Lame humor is the Avengers humor, for example, Hulk vs Loki scene. This is soooooo lame:

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, those are VERY sound stats on the critics, it is about as factual as it gets. And the fans? You are talking about the #3 top grossing film of all time, Those are solid stats also. Those are numbers that blow away any assumptions that you make; highly validated facts vs pure, out of the air opinion, I think there is a real difference.

No, that is far from common sense. A lot of VERY intelligent people, in fact, like comic book heroes; a lot of the most intelligent people are computer nerd types that like stuff like the Avengers. Being intelligent does not make you an elitist.

"Easily detect lame plots and lame films." Problem is, again, you are talking about art. Can they easily detect lame songs? Lame paintings? No, becasue that is just an opinion. That is like saying they can more easily detect a pretty girl, it IS laughable.

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The fans want Star Wars, we're getting Star Wars.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

6. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, yes, i think they can detect better lame things in general. But a movie can be lame because it has a plot. A painting to be lame is more difficult, but i suppose its possible too. And no, they cant detect more easily a pretty girl, but maybe a lame girl yes, lol. Read to my last post, there i explain that maybe there are more factors than the IQ. And please tell me if you think that Avengers joke is lame, or is not.

BTW, of course very intelligent people can like comic books. I mean, a lot of comic books have very intelligent stories.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    This is fair. But I think they are the only ones that come close (mostly Dark Knight). After the Batman films I would have to say the next best comic book film is Iron Man, followed by the Avengers and to me these are not sniffing SW territory.

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are studied in film classes. Most consider them top 100 films of all time. Avengers will never be in this category. It's a good film and it's fun, but OT it is not.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Different people watch movies and enjoy art for different reasons. An average IQ compared to an above average IQ probably isn't much different. If you get down to an IQ under 80, that is different. There you get people who can't understand complex plots and such. If you go to the normal range and above, it is highly unlikely that there is any difference, as movies are not like IQ tests or high level math (understanding a plot is not like doing a Calculus or Physics problem).

We use different parts of our brain to do art; someone who is a good judge of art or a great artist isn't necessarily someone with a high IQ. You are putting everything in the IQ basket, and life is a whole lot more complex than that.

People that are emotionally shallow and superficial may not enjoy anything thoughtful or deep in a movie, but that is another issue. It is mostly not intelligence, but rather personality.

Super high IQ people are often pretty socially stunted and eccentric; they often have odd tastes in things.

9. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, i think i agree with most of what you said. It's more complex than the IQ, and i oversimplified. As you say, there are more factors, like personality, cultural backgrounds, etc etc.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

heres what disney says about the EU of Star wars

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  11. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Thanks for posting that!!!

I bet that contract is worth millions in the collectors world!!!!:D

12. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I can't read all these nested-quote posts. Someone, please summarize where we're at in this discussion.