main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will it ever be possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 25, 2001.

?

Will it ever be possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

67.6%
  2. No

32.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I think maybe we'd be able to go as fast, but not faster. I favour a dimension change thingy rather than lightspeed.

2. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I like to think we might someday... I doubt it would happen in the near future but hey, I can dream can't I? ;)

3. UrbanJedi

UrbanJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    I know nothing about physics or anything. The only thing I know about science, I learned in Star Wars. I voted yes.

4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes...but I'll probably never see it done.

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Probably not.

7. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Well why not?

What about space fold technology? Of course, you need to generate a wormhole and maintain its integrity, and your positive and negative energy has to be equal, and you need an immense power source like a blackhole, and some way to capture it...as you may have guessed it's all theoretical and highly unlikely. However, I like to think that if we can think of it we can make it work.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    People said we'd never break the sound barrier, or walk on the moon, or fly.

As of right now there may be evidence that suggests we can never travel faster than the speed of light. But there was "evidence" that we could never beat the things mankind has accomplished.

We'll find a way. Maybe not now, but someday.

9. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    im here to bring some physics into the dreams corner

No its not possible because when you travel as fast as light you turn into pure energy!!

plus i dont think you people now what going faster then light means

It would take an INFINITE amount of energy to travel AS fast as light

so going faster isnt possible

heres an analogy though

GOING faster then light isnt possible, but traveling is differnt

but traveling may be

think about space as a carpet, you can run across the carp to get to the end faster then light but you can cut a whole in it and run under it faster the light

10. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    Nah...

I say I hate imaginary science. So you're saying, "You must hate Star Wars, then?"
    Nope. I love it, it's just that we're close enough to that technology. Holograms. Lasers. Hi-Tech commuications. Etc. Just not a hyperdrive.
    ;)

11. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I say not likely. I think it can't be possible...
    this is why I love gath polls :)

12. DarthWrytard

DarthWrytard Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    Did you hear about those crazy Wright brothers? Lunatics...it can never be done.

13. ReallyBoringGuy

ReallyBoringGuy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Ah, here's a topic I've studied a bit!

No, it won't. As you move faster, distances decrease (why is a mathematical formula that about 12 people alive today understand), but time slows, too, which means that some sort of dilation effect for c+(faster than light, using the same symbols as Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2) speeds is impossible. It also means that you won't appear to be going c+, even if you're going at 2/3 of lightspeed one way, and something else comes at the same speed the other way, you both appear to be going infitesimally under the speed of light.

To increase your speed requires greater amounts of energy the faster you go, but that approaches infinity as you approach lightspeed.

Any sort of "hyperspace", possibly in one of the other dimensions (current theories postulate 11), wouldn't work. They're rolled up too tightly to even be seen. (Much like a hair looks 1 dimensional at first, and it's only once you look very thoroughly that you can detect the other two we can perceive.)

"Folding space" might be possible, but we have the problems of 1)where do you fold it into? and 2)it just takes too much energy. Only black holes are known to have that much power (they are also the famous "worm holes") but to use one would require 1) being subjected to gravities that literally destroy matter on at least a sub-sub-atomic level and 2) going at such a percentage of the speed of light that there's not any point in going to look for a black hole (the closest known one is in the center of the Milky Way).

The current tests of particles going c+ aren't quite accurate; most of the speed is an illusion by the time/space dilation and our own momentum.

On the other hand, it's not impossible to be going faster than light. It's possible there's a "tachiyon universe" in which it is impossible to slow down to the speed of light.

*Summary*
    The result of all is that you can't move faster than the speed of light or get around it.

I have too much time on my hands... 8-}

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocking.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    While I don't think we'll ever be able to beat the speed of light in a race, I do think that perhaps eventually, we'll find a way to get somewhere before it does. A shortcut, if you will.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  17. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Learn E=MC^2. The answer is no.

18. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    I say no.

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Yes. In a few million years we will have the Alcubierre drive mentioned in the article or something similar in use...

20. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    So. Freakin'. Cool.

I voted no, but I'd love it to be physically possible.

21. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    No. The nerd in my longs to vote yes, but the realist in me won't allow it.

22. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    If humanity is still around 5 million years from now, I don't want to be the one to doubt their ingenuity:p

So I voted yes!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    No. Boo science.

24. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    If your travelling on a spaceship travelling at lightspeed and you walk from the rear of the ship to the front of the ship, are you travelling faster than the speed of light. [face_thinking]

I voted yes. [face_peace]

25. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    No. Sorry dreamers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.