main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Do you think Lucas may bring the Whills into new films and have them take an interesting role in their story? I think it could bring an interesting new dynamic to these films that will probably have the usual stuff (lightsabers, space battles, etc. (not saying those things are bad and/or overused)).

whostheBossk and Mystery Roach like this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think he left that idea long ago with the plan to make Luke and Leia midgets

3. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Not very profitable, I think - too weird.

Darth_Pevra and The Hellhammer like this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The Journal of the Whills could be a great plot devise. Imagine if it gave it more insight into the prophecy of the Chosen One, delineating must occur for Balance to be maintained....or something

Mystery Roach likes this.
  5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I sincerely hope not.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe not the Whills as immortals recording the history of the universe, but Shamans of the Whills, sure, why not? Or some permutation that's new. He does it all time.

Mystery Roach and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Where there's a Whill, there's a way.

8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    As mentioned above, I also think it could be an intriguing plot device and something different for Luke to go looking for as separate from whatever the young protagonists are doing.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  9. SarumanTheChef2

SarumanTheChef2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2001
    I think they could be a big part of the plot.

The Shaman of the Whills was part of the Qui-Gon/Yoda dialogue cut from Episode 3, so Lucas has been thinking about it very recently.

With Darth Plagueis suddenly showing up in the Episode 3 script, and being tied to a different kind of immortality as well...I really feel some form of the Whills is going to be central to what goes down in Episodes 7, 8, & 9. That, and the theme of immortality and the light side/dark side versions of it.

D'an and Spam Bot like this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind them being referenced with a dsah of mystery but I don't want to see them.

11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Could be cool if done right.

12. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Vaguely referenced, perhaps.

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I have an idea for a Star Wars film set many centuries, maybe even millennia after the saga. The Republic has long since vanished, the Skywalker saga is a legend and the Force nothing more than a myth. The story would centre around a young protagonist who finds the Journal of the Whills, possibly stored in a broken down Artoo, detailing the lost history of the Jedi and the Force and he would go on a journey to bring the light of the Force back to the universe and reunite the galaxy.

14. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    My thoughts exactly. i like the role they play and they could be used to close the sage. i want them to play a role. however, the mystery behind them is part of the fun and showing them would ruin it

15. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Would love to find out more about the son of the son and the journal and the crystal and actual prophecy in detail so we can tie it into the first movies and see them in a new light.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

16. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Yes a Jedi called Whills mith was hideing in west philidehia where he was born and raised...on the playground is where he spent most of his days

swish19, Aztek, Spam Bot and 11 others like this.
  17. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Isn't the time of the Whills much further along in the Star Wars timeline?

A thousand years or something?

18. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Not really, a shaman of the Whills taught Qui-gon how to maintain his identity after death (this was mentioned in the final shooting script of ROTS but cut from the film). The Journal of the Whills was supposed to be written 100 years after ROTJ, the idea being artoo relate the story of the skywalkers to a keeper of the Whills. Remember, artoo remembers everything, his memory wasn't wiped at the end of ROTS!

Episode Swag likes this.
  19. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks. I had remembered an old Lucas comment about the droids and the Whills and that is why I was mixed up.

So are the Whills a race or just a group of Force sensitives?

20. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    It's definitely an order....the "Ancient Order of the Whills" was mentioned in the ROTS script and novelization. They are supposed to be a higher order of beings. Whether they are a separate species remains to be seen. I really think this is going to get explored more in the ST, it could be a pivotal plot point. Lucas was always quite adamant in mentioning the fact that Obi-Wan and Yoda's bodies disappeared at death and that Qui-Gon's didn't was an important plot point, but it was only vaguely explained in ROTS. So the idea is that Qui-Gon learned some of this "maintaining identity after death" knowledge from a Shaman of the Whills, and the rest was learned between ROTS and ANH by Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and/or Yoda (or possibly all three did)

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    So stupid but I laughed out loud in my cubicle from this lol

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly the Journal of the Whills is mentioned in The Tenebrous Way.

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of the EU and have only read about 10 books estimating. But I have read some behind the scenes stuff where the Whills are mentioned as an idea GL had for SW early on. So I always wondered if Yoda's race was not of the Whills since we never knew what race he was. I always kind of imagine that his people are on some remote planet documenting the history of the galaxy, since after all they live for about a 1000 years.

Anyway, still not sure I'd like the mystery to be explained.

24. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    There was definitely going to be a conversation between Qui-Gon and Yoda about them in ROTS that was not filmed (possibly due to Liam Neeson not being available?). The Whills are also not Yoda's race, Lucas has said that before. Of course his ideas are always subject to change lol, and we don't exactly what the extent of his involvement as a Creative Consultant is going to be. But if he wrote the story treatments, I suppose that is fairly significant

25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    "The Journal of the Whills" also became Lucas' name for his binder of ideas, plots and characters for Star Wars, and some of the unused ones from the CT were used in the PT and The Clone Wars (there was an episode where a Talz warrior was called 'The Son of the Suns", for example)