main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SWEET_JEEBUS, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "He also couldn't rave about LOTR enough."

In the words of Gandalf, there are few who can. :p

2. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    As we are all aware, this will be the first time that a Star Wars movie has been released and won't be the number one movie of the year. As a matter of fact, it may barely crack the top three.

3. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Harry also raved about Spider-Man. The reason AOTC is mentioned is because that was one of the movies he was "courted" to see.

4. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    From Philadelphia Weekly:

Yes, I said "hilarious."
    It may kick off hard and heavy, but Minority Report turns out to be an absolute scream.

Spielberg takes a gleeful, childlike delight in shoving his arrogant antihero into the most impossible situation and then standing back in amazement as Cruise somehow squirms his way out of them. As in that first great Indiana Jones picture, a breathless Murphy's Law super-charges Anderton's mishaps--it's all just one goddamn thing after another.

People can argue all they want about how absolutely terrific they think AOTC is, or how the critics/bashers "just don't get it", but in all honesty I haven't seen a single AOTC "gush" written with as much passion, enthusiasm, or joy as is this excerpt above. I wish I could say AOTC was an absolute scream, but at best I can only say "it has a few cool scenes".

I found the following bit interesting, and it is getting me pretty excited about the "film technology":

Shooting in glorious CinemaScope for the first time in more than a decade, Spielberg appears reenergized by his rediscovery of the wide-screen format--cramming each relentlessly dynamic frame with hidden gags and throwaway jokes. If God is in the details, He's all over this flick.

Ha ha ha!! You'd think this person just saw A New Hope in 1977!

(I promise no more MR review quotes, but I couldn't resist)

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    In the words of Gandalf, there are few who can.

I can think of quite a few.

6. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm pretty confident that AOTC will be the number 2 movie of the year. HP and LOTR are the big threats, and the first movie in both their franchises made 317 and 310 million, respectively. Sequels of movies THAT successful don't do better than the first.

In 2004 SM2 may be a threat to the ESB's record of most successful sequel ever (290 mil), but who knows.

7. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Harry also raved about Spider-Man. The reason AOTC is mentioned is because that was one of the movies he was "courted" to see.

Along with LOTR. He was courted far more heavily by Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema than by anyone at ILM.

8. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    People can argue all they want about how absolutely terrific they think AOTC is, or how the critics/bashers "just don't get it", but in all honesty I haven't seen a single AOTC "gush" written with as much passion, enthusiasm, or joy as is this excerpt above.

Maybe you weren't looking.

I wish I could say AOTC was an absolute scream, but at best I can only say "it has a few cool scenes".

Goody for you. What's forcing you to hang around here devoting time to a movie you only thought had a few cool scenes?

(I promise no more MR review quotes, but I couldn't resist)

How long until you break that promise? 5 seconds? 10?

9. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    As we are all aware, this will be the first time that a Star Wars movie has been released and won't be the number one movie of the year. As a matter of fact, it may barely crack the top three.

The only reason that would upset me is because it will give the bashers who mystifyingly hang around here gloating material.

10. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    If you don't like this conversation, Shelley, feel free to ignore it, but no one here has to justify themselves to you or come and go at your discretion.

No disrespect, but you're not in charge here.

11. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Well, the question is "Will MR steal AOTC's thunder?"

Don't you think you might get some folks who say yes?????????

12. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    The flavor of the week will always steal another movie's thunder. A few weeks ago, I was in a video store and overheard some guy--seemed like just an average Joe--asking the store clerk what was "new and good". It'd been a slow week so the clerk said he didn't think anything "new" was worthwhile. He recommended something "old", like a movie that had been out two weeks. The customer passed. His basic theory was, "I don't care if it's good, as long as it's new." As a matter of fact, he kept using that word, "New, new, new. I want a new movie."

13. Zilch77

Zilch77 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    I hope Lucas takes a few notes from MR to realize you can make a sci-fi movie and still have good dialog, acting and directing.
    If not , TP will not hold much over time.

14. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    ((The only reason that would upset me is because it will give the bashers who mystifyingly hang around here gloating material. ))

I'm sure the mystical "bashers" like Star Wars and come to this forum to discuss Episode 2.

Why are you here?

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    If you don't like this conversation, Shelley, feel free to ignore it, but no one here has to justify themselves to you or come and go at your discretion.

No kidding, Darth Geist.

No disrespect, but you're not in charge here.

Nope. Nor do I think I am. I merely question why people who have such a jones for other movies and thought AOTC was so crappy are spending their time on this forum.

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    The flavor of the week will always steal another movie's thunder. A few weeks ago, I was in a video store and overheard some guy--seemed like just an average Joe--asking the store clerk what was "new and good". It'd been a slow week so the clerk said he didn't think anything "new" was worthwhile. He recommended something "old", like a movie that had been out two weeks. The customer passed. His basic theory was, "I don't care if it's good, as long as it's new." As a matter of fact, he kept using that word, "New, new, new. I want a new movie."

Wow, Bresson, I actually agree with you!

Good post.

17. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    The real question should be:

Will "The Santa Clause 2: The Mrs. Clause" steal AOTC thunder"??

And no, I am not making that up, it is a real movie. Gag.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Again, I consider the dialogue, acting, and directing often great in the PT. Of course it is only my opinion.

ST

19. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Indeed...that IS your opinion, ST :p

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm sure the mystical "bashers" like Star Wars and come to this forum to discuss Episode 2.

You mean like the guy whose post is above yours? Doesn't seem like discussion to me. Seems like bashing and promotion of another movie at AOTC's expense.

Why are you here?

To defend AOTC and the PT against bashers who spend all their time on a SW forum saying how great other movies are and how the PT sucks.

21. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "I merely question why people who have such a jones for other movies and thought AOTC was so crappy are spending their time on this forum."

Well, speaking for myself, I find that discussing a film like AOTC, which I find to be a mixed bag, helps to give me a broader sense of what works, filmically speaking, and what doesn't. As a long-time writer and novice director, I'm always hungry for any discussion or lesson that might help improve my technique.

22. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Is Shelley the most judgmental person in the world?

"Nope. Nor do I think I am. I merely question why people who have such a jones for other movies and thought AOTC was so crappy are spending their time on this forum"

Because if we were all gushers it'd be a pretty boring conversation.

"To defend AOTC and the PT against bashers who spend all their time on a SW forum"

But not to fight for truth, justice, and the American way?

23. Jedi_Lite

Jedi_Lite Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    What thunder?? AOTC is currently 5th at the Box Office. If you want to run that route, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood stole AOTC's "thunder". Of course Minority Report will hit number one and make a lot of money (it's getting excellent reviews), but this has nothing to do with AOTC.

This really should be in either the AOTC Box Office thread, the JC Community's Minority Report anticipation thread, or the Misc. Board... anywhere but here.

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, speaking for myself, I find that discussing a film like AOTC, which I find to be a mixed bag, helps to give me a broader sense of what works, filmically speaking, and what doesn't. As a long-time writer and novice director, I'm always hungry for any discussion or lesson that might help improve my technique.

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

25. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Just wanted to send the message that I wasn't speaking for some other JCer who happens to think like me Import ;)

ST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.