main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

William Shakespeare Fan Club

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Master Salty, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I love all of Shakespeare's work. My favorite Shakespeare work is Julius Caesar. Macbeth runs a close second. My wife is an English major in college and I'm an English minor. I'm taking two 400 level classes this summer on Shakespeare.

I would love to hear what people like about Shakespeare's work and what people think he contributed to modern drama. Please feel free to come in, sit down and let's discuss Shakespeare. :)

2. AquaRose

AquaRose Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I personally enjoy A Midsummer Night's Dream. We have a really nice Theator in town that is always doing twists off Shakespeare... *Feels happy that she is the 2nt Shakespeare fan to respond*

3. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Although I love some of the depth and moral struggle of Julius Caeser: i.e. "It must be by his death...", I think that I have to choose Macbeth as my fave. Shakespeare that I've read to date... Just downright eerie...

4. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    "That Scottish play" ;) is my favourite Shakespeare play. The way the witches' prophecies were fulfilled -- awesome.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    For all his stuff that I've read, I still have to go with the classic response and say Hamlet still moves me like no other. There's just so much truth to so many lines. And what a villian! So beautifully fleshed out. Still one of the most amazing stories ever written in my opinion.

Macbeth is second, one of the first and best psychological thrillers.

Romeo and Juliet third.

6. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    I think you get a greater appreciation of Shakespeare when you perform the plays. I've been in Hamlet, A Midsummer Nights Dream, and Romeo and Juliet - and I understand the story, and the relationships between the characters much much more than if I had just read them.

I appreciate Shakespeare.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If I may ask, what characters did you play?

Claudius is my dream character. The actor's dream, he is. :D I'd love to play that guy.

8. MoldyBread

Aug 10, 2000
    I played Apothecary in R. and J., the Ghost of Hamlet's Father in Hamlet, and Nick Bottom in Midsummer's Night. - These were all in High School, so take it for what it's worth.

Bottom was a damn fun part to play. Overacting and making an ass out of myself.

I personally loved practicing over and over, to the point where you know most of the other people's lines, and then you start quoting the lines in real life.

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I just got home from my class. We are reading 4 comedies and 3 histories for the class. "A Midsummer's Night Dream" is the second one that I will read this semester.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That sounds awesome. I got to read Hamlet's part last semester. :D

"The Scottish Play." Heh, yeah, I forgot we're supposed to call it that. :D

11. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm taking a class on just the tragedies in the next summer session.

12. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I love Shakespeare! I have a great appreciation for all of his works, but I find that lately I'm really enjoying his comedies/farces. Much Ado About Nothing and Comedy of Errors are two of my favorites.

I'm so glad they opened this board! :D :D

13. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Im reading "Comedy of Errors" tonight. We are discussing that play for the next couple of days. Shakespeare's wit is uncomparable.

14. Blue_Yoda_Forever

Blue_Yoda_Forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2002

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears
    I absolutely am in love with shakespeare.

Favs.
    Julious Caesar (aka the trajedy of Brutus)

Henry the Fifth.

Hamlet

15. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    My favorite Shakespeare tragedy is "MacBeth". My favorite comedy is "Much Ado About Nothing".

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about some of the film adaptations of the Bard's plays. I love the Kenneth Branagh versions of "Henry V" and "Much Ado About Nothing" and I even enjoyed Baz Luhrman's (sp?) offbeat "Romeo And Juliet".

16. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The Tempest is quite an interesting play also. It has a lovely chaos-to-order theme. :)

17. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    The quality of mercy is not strained.
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven,
    Upon the place beneath.
    It is twice blessed.
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
    It is mightiest in the mightiest,
    It becomes the throned monarch better than his crown.
    His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
    An attribute to awe and majesty.
    Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings.
    But mercy is above this sceptred sway,
    It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
    It is an attribute to God himself.
    And earthly power dost the become likest God's,
    Where mercy seasons justice.
    Therefore Jew,
    Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
    That in the course of justice we all must see salvation,
    We all do pray for mercy
    And that same prayer doth teach us all to render the deeds of mercy.
    I have spoke thus much to mittgate the justice of thy plea,
    Which if thou dost follow,
    This strict court of Venice
    Must needs give sentance gainst the merchant there.

- Portia's Speech from The Merchant of Venice

18. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    My favorite has to be Macbeth and Twelfth Night.

19. Prof_D_Kirke

Prof_D_Kirke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    My Favorites are "The Scottish Play" and Midsummer.. Though I like 12th Night too.

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I just got through reading "The Comedy of Errors". All I can say is wow! There are so many subliminal messages and jokes in the play.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Shakespeare must be read aloud -- my roommate thinks I'm nuts when I sit there reading out loud, but he can deal with it.

Some Shakespeare I love, some I don't.

What I find interesting though, is this: In school, the editions they give us have the text on one page and pictures and definitions and stuff on the next page. The edition I use, though, is a Complete Works, with each one in small print taking up usually 10-15 pages. And I'll tell you that I only find the annotated editions distracting. They pull me away from what I'm reading. With the complete works, I can just read and get swept up in the language, and I understand everything fine. It's only in the editions that bombard me with definitions that I have trouble.

22. MoldyBread

Aug 10, 2000
    I think all plays should be read aloud. It helps seperate the characters in my mind - especially if I give them different voices. I always skip over the little part that tells who is speaking when I read silently. It helps me understand who is talking to who, becsue the script doesn't always say it.

23. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I have not studied Macbeth since fifth grade, but I did Hamlet this year (junior in high school) and absolutely fell in love with it. That scene where Claudius tries to pary for forgiveness, but his sould is too black . . . *shivers* Only Shakespeare could write like that.

24. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    My favorites tragedies are Hamlet, Julius Caesar, and Romeo and Juiliet. My wife and I both get swept away in the romantic language of R&J.

My favorite comedies are A Midsummer Night's Dream and Much Ado About Nothing. I love the wordplay between Bernardo and Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agreed regarding reading aloud. I've bowed to the rules of living in a house with other people and I only whisper the lines, but it's imperative to get the sound of the words.

Regarding film adaptations: Branagh's Hamlet is fantastic simply because it's uncut. :D Branagh is good, though I know some people didn't like his interpretation. The real gem is Derek Jacobi, lending his considerable talents to the role of Claudius. Wow! What a performance. Fantastic film, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.