main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    [face_worried] I'm not sure I really want to know that kind of information... :p

Anyway, there was a survey thread in here some years back... that one more serious than what you're suggesting, but it still presents the same problem as yours, I think - while it is fun to fill out, it's not something that will make people come back. You fill that questionaire once, and then you're done with it and move on. What's needed here -as you said- is interaction. I'm afraid you won't get that with a survey.

...doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to do. [face_batting]

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was semi-wishfully thinking that the answers would be so darn good that people couldn't resist having a lengthy conversation about it all. :p

My other idea is to demand a pledge. If every 10th post by people who start out in WNU isn't in WNU, a temporary ban is handed out. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle sta... er... WNU.

So, those are my ideas... a witty, conversation-generating survey. Or totalitarinism/martial law.

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    We could have stormtroopes gaurding the exits so that no one can escape. :p

4. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    [face_laugh] Now we're getting somewhere... [face_mischief]

How many new users do we get per week (on average), do you have any numbers, Skiara?

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    You could just look at the "New Users" tab on the upper bar for that. :p

I'd say somewhere between 40 and 60 a week.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Problem with checking the New User list is that it's rather deceptive in terms of activity of new users if you're skimming recent sign ups. I try to check the profiles of everyone who posts a new topic: "Hi! I'm Here!" thread after a few hours or days to get to know them better, but also to see if they are doing ANYTHING besides introducing themselves and... no hyperbole involved... I'd estimate 9 out of every 10 I've checked have a total post count of 1. 9 out of 10 introduce themselves and never post in any actual discussions elsewhere on the whole JC, which, in itself, sorta sets one up for lack of interest in general. Not sure if there is a realistic solution, but it is something requiring consideration in a discussion like this one.

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    First I like to say, it's really cool to see you all joinng this discussion and bringen up suggestions. No matter if they are semi-serious or not, since we do some kind of brainstorming at the moment. :)

So far there are the following:

1. Keeping suggested boards personally and not randomly.

2. Another, shorter game?

3. Updating/re-doing Map of the Boards including a short do's and don't's.

4. A (funny) survey.

5. Stormtroopers at the doors.

I bet the stormtroopers suggestion in combination with the banning one is the best and most effictive one so far. ;) :p

Na, honestly, I see problems with the survey as well, since there are only a few who are good at making great funny replies and a talk won't get really started. But I'll ask stormtroopers for the next party. I heard they like to party as well. ;) :p :D

About the question how many new members there are... It's difficult to say, since it's unsteady. Of course, it's far away from the numbers when you, Morgaine, were mod in here. That's clear. If I get asked to say a number, I would say it's an average of 4 to 9 per week, depending on the circumstances. I wish it would be more, but that's beyond of what we can do. So even if people usually just post once, we should try to show them how great this forum is and give them reasons to stay. :)

So, I'm still looking forward to your suggestions! Maybe we should link this thread to a new member. Maybe they have another idea, since they are new and have a different view. :)

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If you only semi-like my banning idea, consider the follow alternative. Once a newly registered member logs on for their initial forum activity, the site automatically directs them to Fecal Force in YJCC, so they understand that they have the freedom to discuss their bowel movements with fellow Star Wars fans...

9. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    MyKe, we want them to stay. Not get scarred for life and run away.

10. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    I actually have something better than that - "Daily System Stats" in the Admin menu. ;) But I was wondering about people coming to WNU, not just registering.

Oh, of course, I'm quite aware that there are a lot less people registering now compared to some years ago, now that we don't have any more movies to look forward to. And of course it's not in your power to change that! :) I was just curious, since I haven't really been paying attention to those "Hi, I'm new"-kind of threads lately.

I'd post more (might have a few ideas...), but I'm way too tired right now. Will try to be back with more on the weekend!

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    We need to change the tag on the main TFN page to boast: "Up to the minute updates on the 3D releases!" to attract 5 or so new members.

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Now, I could do a bad joke about MyKe's idea above about banning new users for not posting in comparison to the board problems about keeping them from posting, but... no... I don't like this problem, since it means that we don't get new users for the next days or weeks or whenever it get fixed again. THAT makes me sad! :(

And so our discussion is more about what we can do in the future and less right now. But we can bring up ideas and be prepared when the new-user-password-problem is solved. Would be nice, if we can get some ideas to life. :)

Attracting more new users would be cool as well, but currently we are talking about what we can do to give them more reasons to stay here (WNU and JCwide). Maybe later, MyKe. ;) :)

Morgaine, you said you have more ideas? :)

13. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yes, sorry about that... I wasn't actually home all weekend and so I never got around to post here.

Now it's getting late for me again, so I'll keep this short, but I'll just throw these two ideas out here for you to discuss:

The first idea is somewhere between items number one and three on your list, I guess (board suggestions and map of the boards). Now as I said, I haven't been reading any "I'm new!"-type of threads lately, but I'd wager a guess that there are certain forums that get mentioned quite often. So why not make a thread to introduce those forums? (one thread per forum, that is) Not a complete re-post of the forum's rules and guidelines, that would be redundant (and no-one ever reads those anyway). But just a single paragraph explaining what the forum is all about, maybe a short(!) list of Do's and Don'ts, and then a link to the must-read threads.

Now I know that has been done before with a few forums (I remember a thread for FanFiction, for example), and it never created much traffic, but I'd add some more "features": it could be a place for people to ask for "directions" (i.e., "can someone give me a link to a discussion about XY?"), to ask quick questions that don't really warrant their own thread, or even to have discussions about certain topics right here.

Of course we can't be stealing too much traffic from the forum in question, but there are always certain topics that just keep being brought up again and again. It annoys the regulars to see them yet again, and frustrates the newbies to have their very first thread shut down right away. Who cares if it's been discussed before? It's new to them, and that could be enough here in WNU.

Now that was rather long-winded I'm afraid (sorry, I'm tired!), so if I didn't make myself quite clear, just ask and I'll try to explain again. :)

The second idea is based on that old "WNU is JCC extra-lite" thing. Why not give this forum a few more community-style threads? Again, we don't want to steal too much from the JCC or other forums, but we could have a "Topic of the Week", for example - one thread about any random subject - can be Star Wars-related, about a book or a movie, or about some kind of sports event... whatever people can come up with, really. They could submit their ideas to you, and then you'd post a new thread once a week or so.

Those would be open to anyone of course, newbies and oldbies - it would give people something to talk about (because I see that as a problem at the Party, no one seems to know what to say half the time), and it could be a nice way for the newbies to get to know some people.

No idea if that would work here, but I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try. :D

14. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    I remember when I first came across the boards it was strictly for my local fan force. Then a friend showed me the Fan Fiction boards and it was much later when I found the JCC. And I've been absent for a long time and just now made my way back.

I feel like new people get lost.

I'm not sure how to help this fact but maybe if there were enough people interested in greeting/keeping new users. There's the adoption thread thingy... but mostly, I think if people talked to the new people... they'd be encouraged to stay. Perhaps if you could convince the new people to say what they are interested in... then somebody could direct them to that interest area and help them become involved.

I know it is confusing a little to try and come back to the boards after a long time away, and even when somebody who's been around discovers the JCC... If they had a "friend" who knew a little of what is going on to guide them... it could help? Though, somehow still keeping it to where they have to learn what is what and who is who or something.

That very well may have made no sense, but maybe it did?

15. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Oh... and Gamorrean Guards instead of Storm Troopers... I'm just sayin'

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    New idea that enforc... encourages consistent WNU participation...

The rest of the boards don't get 'unlocked' for posting until after the 25-50 post count marker. The posts would have to be relatively decent in their contribution (as opposed to... say... my past 45 posts in WNU...), as spam wouldn't be tolerated, so the posts would at least be friendly, interactive, etc. After a set amount of 'practice' posts in WNU, the ability to post in other parts of the JC is made accessible. Control, I'm telling you... control is the answer. Subjugation.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    My suggestion is to stop treating new users like they are four year old children. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the point of a new users forum is to acquaint people to the place, and "prepare" them for the rest of the boards. How do pillow fights and the overuse of smiley faces accomplish this? This place is unreadable for me for this reason - people who register at this site are not kindergartners. This board seems to serve people who wish to act like small children for the sake of acting like small children.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Listen here you joyless shrew...

*smacks Harpuah in the face with a pillowcase full of rocks*

[I can do this because we are e-friends of the highest caliber]

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Harpuah... Denied! ;) :p

*puts some feathers inside of the stone pillow without Myke noticing it* :D

Ok, now back to topic! :)

Since we have got some suggestion and I think even some very good ones, I would like to talk about them a bit. Maybe bringing up some pro and cons (which I might have missed) and working on a list of ideas which we really want to try out. Of course, you are welcome to post more interesting ideas. We are just focusing a bit more on getting some ideas done. :)

@ Morgaine's suggestions:

Board-Threads:
    This suggestion came up some time ago and I was afraid that it would clutter up WNU, but in the end I agreed, so FanForce created an introduction thread and I thought that FanFic did one as well, but I can't find it. Weird. Actually, regularly it's not the way that certain boards get mentioned more often than others. If it's this way then it's about the users who promote their boards. Only sometimes it seems that new members could be interested in FanFic, RPG or CT/OT, maybe LACWAC. (If someone is having another feeling, please, let me know. :) ) So I don't think posting a promoting thread will help. In my view it would make more sense to invite the new users to those boards directly (best by those regulars), maybe even suggesting certain threads, so they get involved faster.

You said new members could use it as a question/answer thread. Sadly none of the older question/answer threads worked, so I don't think they will work either. Keeping those questions within the introduction thread might be the better option.

"Topic of the week":
    But I really like your idea about "Topic of the week". Somehow I have the feeling we had that idea discussed (and denied) earlier, not sure though. Doesn't matter in the end, since times chance. Within this "Topic of the week" we could include your (Morgaine) thought about "old topic for regulars, but new to new memembers". We just might need to promote this a bit - so new members learn about this option (for using it) and mods/old members for moving it when it's a new topic, which just got posted here.

@hyperspace's suggestion:

You basically mean "keeping up the good work of adoption" and "do more talking with newbies"? Did I get that right?

@Myke's suggestion:

So you want to make a game out of the JC/FF? The more you post the more parts get opened to you and in the end, when all boards are opened, belongs to the coolest person ever? :p

Another topic: I just realised that some threads are out-dated. Actually I wanted to update them all when we did the big move, but maybe I should put it on the to-do list no matter if we move in a few weeks or not.

List of suggestions:

1. Keeping suggested boards personally and not randomly.

2. Another, shorter game?

3. Updating/re-doing Map of the Boards including a short do's and don't's.

4. A (funny) survey.

5. Stormtroopers/Gamorrean Guards at the doors.

6. One thread per board

7. Updating all threads

8. "Topic of the week"

9. Keeping adoptions

10. More talks with newbies for make them feeling more welcomed and having a chance of getting active

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I would consider this as the most constructive option, if we do it with the aforementioned themes being 'old to regulars/new to noobs' in nature. That way, any given week, we could possibly give a taste of the Senate in here, another week is a sample of Comms, just as examples. Comms would be fun in WNU... knowing there is a deadline for the madness to cease.

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Wouldn't mind, if every boards wants to present themselves that way. Could be fun! And interesting for new members as well. :)

But I would like to have new members involved as well. But maybe we can do this by asking other mods to inform us about "old topics/new for newbies" that get posted (and locked). :)

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I completely meant that it would be pre-existing topics BUT being presented in WNU for the new users to get a feel for actual conversations that take place around the JC. For instance, take a topic in the vein of "Should Fat People Be Allowed To Use Handicapped Parking Spaces", which is a topic with potential for slight debate, but also for joking, and some 'rough' posts, and put it in WNU for a week so that newer users witness/involve themselves in what to expect elsewhere on the boards.

I know my example was a potentially vitriolic topic, but that was sort of the point. One week can be discussing a new film or book or changes to the Star Wars blu ray set, etc., another week can be about middle east foreign policy, just so that the boards as a whole are represented, but also so that newer users have a 'safer', far more sterile environment to get prepped for heavier topics and the semi-faster flow generated by more involved discussions.

Of course, we could limit the topics to avoid 'Senate'-level discussions, and stick to a fanfic in here or "Lady Gaga Suxx - Discuss" or whatnot, just so it doesn't get too heavy handed, but the premise is still the same. Take something that would be an accepted topic in the Arena or YJCC or LACWAC and give it a week to breathe in here as a 'clone' of the original thread, with the hope that regulars/oldbies/midbies would support the version of the thread in WNU for the week it exists. I will certainly try to take part in the majority of any WNU versions of threads, just to get them chugging along. I could easily coerce a few regular 'personalities' on here to do the same, so long as the topics are engaging.

23. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Ohh, that is an interesting idea.

I quite like your proposal in the post above this one - I've never been one to post much outside of WNU and my FanForce, but I might actually join some of those. And who knows, maybe it could even get me to check out some other boards, for the first time in years. :D

@Skiara
    RE: the "board threads" - I remember the previous threads of that nature being rather "walls of text", if you know what I mean. It's my impression that a lot of people tend to ignore those ("tl;dr"), but you certainly know better than me what works here and what doesn't. I'm rather out of the loop. ;) Glad you like the other idea though!

//edit: markup fail

//and another edit: because I forgot something

Yeah, I think that is quite needed... probably not worth doing too much in terms of markups and the like, but maybe we can already get a head start content-wise? (Since there's not exactly a lot of work to do with newbies at the moment...) Which threads are you thinking of re-doing?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks. I really think it is one of the more viable routes we could take to not only generate continued interest in WNU, but also let WNU live up to its full potential of prepping newbies to the rest of the boards. Getting regulars to participate or contribute a post to these weekly 'sample' threads will take some minor prodding, but it is quite within the realm of reality to accomplish.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I really quite like that idea!

I think one thread per forum might be overkill, but maybe one thread per category or one thread overall with a bit of information about what discussions go where, etc., that might be a usefull guide for new users.