main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Wonder Lab 2010 event

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Well the special guest at this last meeting was Mike from Wonder Lab .
    This time we are needed on Friday and Saturday March 26th & 27th. Friday night there will be a teen triva night that we have been ask to moderate. Saturday will be like last year with the 501 troopers attending. Thus is a email I got today from Mike.

Hi Eric--
    I've been thinking of some activities that you guys might be interested in facilitating for the Friday afternoon component of the Cine-Space program.

I'd like to highlight the repulsor technology that many of the Star Wars vehicles use.  We have a hovercraft at the museum that visitors can ride during the program, but I'd also like to expand this to the magnetic levitation that is in development for current bullet trains.  Below are some links to simple MagLev train activities.  It might be cool to have 2 short lengths of MagLev track and visitors could race a pair of speeder bikes (images of speeder bikes pasted to the floating cardboard pieces).  I haven't tested this activity, so I don't know how easy or successful it might be to pull off.

MagLev Trains (repulsor technology):
    http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Adam_Caswell/page%204.htm
    http://amasci.com/maglev/train.html

Another activity could be creating Star Wars origami.  The Milenium Falcon model seems like it might be something younger kids could accomplish with a little help.

Star Wars origami:
    http://www.starwarsorigami.com/
    http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/magazine/17-01/st_howto

Do either of these look like something you guys might be interested in doing?  I'm open to any other possibilities, too.

Thanks so much for your help with this weekend.
    --Mike

--
    Mike Voyles

2. tainted_crimson

tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2006
    It's the 19th and 20th, not the 26th and 27th?

Crap. I might not be able to help out then. Shall have to do some planning...

3. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Amy
    I am so sorry , My mistake, It is the 26th & 27th.

4. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh good, glad to hear it! I had to miss it last year because IU's spring break was the same week as the local school system's; this year, our break is the week before.

5. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    The mag lev exhibit might be cool.

I remember doing a science project back in 3rd grade about the future of mag lev. Might have to check out the components for something like that.

6. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to make it. I need to be in Indy by Friday evening to help my friend out with her convention.

7. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Ok , so the Trivia contest will need a someone to run it. Do I have anyone interested in taking care if it?

8. mpvoyles

mpvoyles Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2010

Hi Guys--
    This is Mike from WonderLab. I just wanted to clarify the dates and times for activities. I'd like to have you guys at the museum for Friday March 26th from noon to 4pm. We'll have stations where visitors can ride a hovercraft, wield an infrared lightsaber, levitate a spinning top with The (magnetic) Force, as well as other space travel and astronomy-related activities. I thought the MagLev activity might be a nice compliment to the hovercraft rides, and it could be tied to the numerous hovering vehicles from Star Wars (maybe 2 tracks with racing speeder bikes). I might know a source for long strips of adhesive magnetic material if you're interested in pursuing this activity.

Marni is the program intern at WonderLab coordinating the Teen Trivia Event for the evening of the 26th. From what I understand, she's looking for a couple of individuals from Hoosier Alliance to lead a trivia tournament style competition from around 6-7pm. She's anticipating 30 to 40 middle and high school students in attendance. Many of the students will probably be big Star Wars fans, but if you could include some general space trivia too, that would be excellent.

Thanks again for partnering with WonderLab for this event. I had planned to dress like Obi Wan Kenobi, but I recently shaved, so I might just be a random bald Jedi. Let me know if you have any questions.
    --Mike

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Mike
    I can be there on Friday.
    Eric

10. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Guys.
    I have made a mistake and Our Spring Break is the week before so I wont be off work that Friday. I will be there for Teen Trivia at 6 pm but not from 12-4.

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Anyone Anyone...Vance?
    I can run the contest but I don't have anyway to get the actual questions.

12. NorvelleJedi05

NorvelleJedi05 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2002
    Hi everyone!
    Spaced Out Science
    When Friday, Mar 26, 2010
    Where WonderLab Museum
    TIME 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm DST
    Description AUDIENCE: Elem, Teen Compare the imaginary technology of STAR WARS vehicles with current real-world technology, ride a hovercraft, race magnetically levitating speeder bikes, and more! PROGRAM PARTNER: Hoosier Alliance

I can help out. I'm off from work that week.

13. NorvelleJedi05

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm going to Bedford for my mother's surprise 75th birthday party Sat., March 20th. So I'll miss the March meeting.

14. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Bumping topic since its this Friday and Saturday.
    RC & Amy & Brian(PARTIAL) will be there Friday 12-4 and Eric , Brian , Bryan ,Amy ,John will be there Friday 6-8pm for the trivia and prizes.

15. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Just as a clarification, I will only be able to be at Wonderlab for a portion of the 12-4 time period.

16. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    I'm going to try and make it for a portion of the 12-4 event, don't think I can get there right at 12....but sometime before that part is over.

17. NorvelleJedi05

Mar 26, 2002
    It looks like a low turnout from Bloodfin Garrison on Sat. I'll be there and possibly Chris from Columbus will be there. Chris is waiting for the weather report on Sat.
    If anybody else can make it in costume I would appreciate it. Thanks.

18. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    Sorry guys, looks like I won't be able to help out during the day on Friday. I have to meet with a professor right in the middle of it and I'm not sure how long the meeting will last. If I get done early enough, I'll stop by and help with whatever I can.

I'll definitely be there in the evening, though!

19. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm sure you will do a good job if it turns out no one else shows up , B.

20. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I am trying to get out of work at 4pm ,Ill be down there as soon as I can.
    E-

21. NorvelleJedi05

Mar 26, 2002
    I'll be there Saturday as a Biker Scout.

22. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Tonights trivia was pretty good. Not as good as last year but good nevertheless.
    We had two girls ,Names escape me at the moment KICK MAJOR BUTT. They blew away the guys and took the crown.
    I got pictures witch I'll upload to the face book page when I find my camera cord.
    Thanks go out to....
    Brian
    Bryan
    RC
    Courtney
    John
    Jammie
    Amy
    And Wounder Lab

23. tainted_crimson

Sep 9, 2006
    The girls were Lauren and Anna! Here's hoping they make an appearance at a future meeting. They do female fans proud.

24. NorvelleJedi05

Mar 26, 2002
    Okay here's the pictures from the Wonderlab 2010 event. Welcome to Wonderlab at Bloomington, Indiana.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you next time.
    [​IMG]

25. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I took some pictures and they are up on our face book page.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Hoosier-Alliance/93530527244?ref=ts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.