main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO Wow, TFN ripped Christie Golden a new one

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Vykk-Draygo, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vykk-Draygo

Vykk-Draygo Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    I've not bought either of the Fate of the Jedi novels because the entire series is in hardback, which to me is a waste of my money. I'm just going to wait a year for them to come out on paperback. I wasn't all that excited about Fate of the Jedi to begin with, but the first TFN review further degraded my interest. TFN tends to be an optimistic site about anything Star Wars, so an abysmal 1.2/4 gives me pause, especially since Golden's Rise of the Horde is the best World of Warcraft book I've read. I still have Traviss's Imperial Commando to be excited about, though.

2. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    I got the first Fate of the Jedi from my local library (the second one I am in line for). Like you, I hate spending that kind of money on a book I will only read once (most likely). I do love Aaron Allston, not a huge fan of Karen Travis. After the last series, I do not have that high of expectations. I see Star Wars books as bubble gum for the brain, nothing too taxing. The new Rebel Force books are a fun read if you have not tried them out, but again, more bubble gum. :)

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I tend to have a lot more time listioning to books on my iPod. Reading for a long time gives me headachs too.
    But ya , I know where you two are coming from.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I stopped reading star wars books when, somewhere in the New Jedi Order series, I suddenly realized that some of the fanfics I was reading were better.

5. xxwookiejedixx

xxwookiejedixx Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2009
    I like the star wars books I am reading out cast now a little slow to start. I also starting read the books that the new hbo serris true blood is based off of .

6. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Omen is not as bad as the TFN reviews would have you think, but then again, it's not that great either. Mostly it just reads like Outcast part two. There are some genuinely interesting parts, such as the new Sith Tribe, but much of the book is a rehash of the first book. A Jedi or two going insane? Check. Luke and Ben meeting a different Force tradition? Check. Daala making vague threats against the Jedi? Check. And the book does not even end really, it just kind of stops. For a book as criminally short as Omen, that is unacceptable. Yet, I think many of the problems here are the format itself. If this followed the LotF formula of one hardcover followed by three paperbacks, this would have been a paperback and relatively inoffensive. Instead, we get a book that really serves no purpose in being a hardcover besides getting the lemmings like myself to fork over more money. Not necessarily Ms. Golden's fault, but she still faces the burden of it.

7. shcook1138

shcook1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh, I think it is that bad. There's a whole chapter about the conversation leading up to buying the Star Wars equivalent of a pony for the little kid... It might be more tolerable in a paperback, but it's really not suitable for a hardback.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Now see I actually liked that. She's a kid, we had plenty of children getting into dangerous situations with the Solo children during the Bantam days, I think it's fine she gets a chance to do something normal kids do. But I fully agree, this should not have been a hardcover.

9. shcook1138

shcook1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2003
    I should clarify. I thought the overall story was fine and brought in some good plot elements and new characters. It was just written incredibly poorly.

10. Vykk-Draygo

Vykk-Draygo Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    I just wish they would return to the standalone novels and the trilogies instead of being shamelessly epic about everything. New Jedi Order was great and epic, but then they tried to replicate it with Legacy of the Force, with middling success. Even while the NJO was coming out, I still reread the great EU novels of the 90s like the Thrawn Trilogy. And even the others that weren't as good were at the very least new and exciting. The NJO took a departure from the typical Jedi vs Sith, and did so wonderfully. The X-wing series put you in the minds of "ordinary" fighter pilots. The Force is great and all, but I guess I need a break from it sometimes. Good thing for me that Karen Traviss is around. Speaking of which, the Clone Wars: No Prisoners is full of nostalgia for me, and it was a pretty good book besides that, too.

11. xxwookiejedixx

xxwookiejedixx Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2009
    I do think the books of the 90s where better myself. I like I Jedi alot would like to see another book like that threw some one elses eyes like maybe Tesser or one of the less knowen jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.