main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know, The Phantom Menace wasn't all that great...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Frank Danger, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY!!! THIS IS ONLY ABOUT THE 1000 THREAD ON HOW SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE TPM.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

IF THIS THREAD ISN'T A CANDIDATE FOR BEING LOCKED FOR REDUNDANCY THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!!!

LEAVE TPM ALONE!!!

2. Frank Danger

Frank Danger Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 1999
    BTW I do find it completely hysterical how some on this site (the oldbies and newbies) still can't get over and actually understand the Midichlorians and their role!
    There is all this rubbish about the Midis giving a scientific "explanation" to the Force, and as someone who didn't pay that much attention in 97 to the SE's, I kinda realised on my first viewing that they were not the explaining the Force but explaining why only certain beings become Jedi Knights, and how they relate to the relationship between the Force and a being.

Oh, of course!!! I see it so clearly now. Wow, do I ever feel dumb. For the past four years I've been berating poor Mr. Lucas for destroying the mysticism of the Force, when in actualilty his midichlorians weren't actually an explanation of the Force. Their mere purpose was explaining why only certain beings become Jedi Knights, and explaining the relationship between the Force and a being. How I never saw that crucial distinction before is beyond me...

;)

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
  4. Frank Danger

Aug 15, 1999
    Hello, BobaFrank. My name is Frank also. It's a pleasure to have you in my humble little thread. You might want to stop yelling, though. I think it's upsetting Jedi_Master201.

5. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Yes, it frightened me. And I'm not easily startled. Odd.

*hides*

6. Frank Danger

Aug 15, 1999
    Please don't hide. BobaFrank was probably just a drive-by gusher. I assume that if he comes back he will have cooled down by then.

7. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Frank Danger,

No offense to you but I get a little riled on the negative TPM threads. There's been a million of them and there really isn't anything new that can be brought out on the subject. I liked TPM but everytime someone tries to talk about the positives of the movie someone always brings up the bad most of the time without being asked for their opinion.

I think enough is enough.

I just wish people would defend TPM as adamantly as they do the OT or AOTC.

I really didn't mean anything personal towards you FD. :)

BTW, I'm not a gusher, because I admit TPM has faults. It is possible to like a movie without being a gusher. ;)

8. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Ahh, I love being told to "shut up." Shows we have something interesting to say, to where it's a "threat."

9. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    No, it makes you sound like a broken record that keeps saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over{"pauses to take breath, might say something new"} and over and over and over and over and over and over......................

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Do you honestly think you're the first that's told us to shut up? Honestly? How can you sit back and say we're being a "broken record" when you're being as much of a record yourself? You're falling right into the game yourself and you're no different than the rest of us. Either basher or gusher, you've done the same thing countless of others have done, so it's disingenuous of you to say that.

11. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    I will start by saving time and lowering my statement that the sci-fi action was great to it was good. (Comparing TPM to Raiders is like comparing Wing Commander to Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan...unfair.)

Pacing:If you remove the veryyy sssllllooooowwwwww Tatooine setup for the Pod Race, I feel the pacing is close to that of ROTJ.

'Do you feel the story was told well?':eek:ver all YES. It starts off by showing us the villians (for the movie), the main hero of the first(/second) saga (OB1), and the real villian of both sagas...The Emperor Palpatine. Then the main plot of the movie starts (the invasion). We then save and escape with the Queen. Then we set on Tatooine for some time. Then to the senate and back to Naboo to save her world. One hero dies and another becomes a man (OB1). Good stuff!
    Kiddie Movie: I love them to death but, thay are all kiddie movies. And I have loved then as kid every time I see them.
    New Angles:The old angle (ANH,TESB,& ROTJ) have worked for over 25 years. They "FIXED"(LOL) Star Trek. I hope they do not "fix" Star Wars.
    Midichlorions: Why do we need to know? What was wrong with the force is strong in this one or feel the force flow though your? Something just don't need a tech-readout.

12. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Loco for Lucas,

First of all, you don't know me from Adam.

I guarantee there has been about 1000 negative TPM threads in the 4 years it's been released. What is hypocritical is that they don't get locked for redundancy!

Also, don't call me a gusher or a basher because even though I love TPM I admit it has faults, but I also don't go around bashing AOTC or the OT.

I think this is an issue that has to be resolved with administration in the JC because ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THE BASHING AND NEGATIVE THREADS ON TPM. I know for a fact because it happened just yesterday an AOTC thread was locked because of bashing and redundancy. That's a little hypocritical don't you think since its only been released for a year and TPM for 4.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish from these threads? Do you realize how many fans of TPM you insult with these kinds of threads, and the only reply is "you're just a gusher"?

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Loco for Lucas,

And?

I guarantee there has been about 1000 negative TPM threads in the 4 years it's been released. What is hypocritical is that they don't get locked for redundancy!

Gasp! You mean there have been people bashing the Phantom Menace for years? I can guarantee that the bashing isn't located only in the forums. I have a TV, I read newspapers and magazines, I have the Internet, I think I know about the bashing and the fact that it's EVERYWHERE.

Also, don't call me a gusher or a basher because even though I love TPM I admit it has faults, but I also don't go around bashing AOTC or the OT.

What you do is your business.

I think this is an issue that has to be resolved with administration in the JC because ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THE BASHING AND NEGATIVE THREADS ON TPM. I know for a fact because it happened just yesterday an AOTC thread was locked because of bashing and redundancy. That's a little hypocritical don't you think since its only been released for a year and TPM for 4.

And don't you think it's hypocritical of you to be focusing on the threads that bash while there have been gushers for just as long?

Then why bother having these boards? All we're doing is discussing a movie franchise that's over twenty years old. Nothing new is being said, don't you think it's redundant? Why not petition to have the boards closed? The "I am your father scene" has been discussed to death for over twenty years.

14. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Loco for Lucas,

And?

"And, don't go making assumptions about me."

Gasp! You mean there have been people bashing the Phantom Menace for years? I can guarantee that the bashing isn't located only in the forums. I have a TV, I read newspapers and magazines, I have the Internet, I think I know about the bashing and the fact that it's EVERYWHERE.

"So are you condoning it? Do you think it's right to bash something to death?"

What you do is your business.

"Huh?"

And don't you think it's hypocritical of you to be focusing on the threads that bash while there have been gushers for just as long?

"Uh, where are the gusher threads, and don't ignore what being asked."

Then why bother having these boards? All we're doing is discussing a movie franchise that's over twenty years old. Nothing new is being said, don't you think it's redundant? Why not petition to have the boards closed? The "I am your father scene" has been discussed to death for over twenty years.

"More than the OT is covered in these forums and you know it. The bashing of TPM constantly reopens old dislikes. The point is, is that there is an inconsistency in the JC. As long as I can remember REDUNDANCY has always been a locking offense for a thread but somehow the hundreds of "I don't like TPM" threads continue to go unchecked. I wonder why that is?"

"You still haven't answered my question. What is it you hope to accomplish in creating and talking negatively about TPM? Do you even care that there are fans who like TPM but must endure the constant bombardment of TPM. Do you realize calling someone a gusher is an insult? Can't you even like a movie without being called a gusher?"

15. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh yeah, and the fact that Lucas and Lucasfilm made all these huge boasts about how great it was all going to be in terms of story and special effects, all the way leading up to the film didnt help either.

Lucas constantly told interviewers that the PT would not do nearly as good as the OT. He said it would be a controrversial in today's skeptical society. I remember one interviewers reaction was literally like "yeah, George, sure, whatever you say."

I also remember Lucas saying in reference to the PT "the first one's fairly innocent. But it goes downhill after that."

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    "And, don't go making assumptions about me."

Fair enough, but I wasn't calling you a gusher. I said you were falling into the game of the bashers and the gushers.

"So are you condoning it? Do you think it's right to bash something to death?"

What you call "bashing" others call "criticism." If they want to talk it into the ground, let them. It's their business.

"Huh?"

It's up to you what you do about the movies. I doubt anyone cares. It's your business.

"Uh, where are the gusher threads, and don't ignore what being asked."

I wasn't ignoring, I was posing a question of my own to counter yours. There are plenty of gusher threads out there. There's a "Sanctuary" for them, and at the 3SA, they had an "Episode III will most likely be a triumph" thread where people were saying Episode III will be great. Some were saying it ALREADY WAS GREAT, and a script isn't even finished yet.

"More than the OT is covered in these forums and you know it. The bashing of TPM constantly reopens old dislikes. The point is, is that there is an inconsistency in the JC. As long as I can remember REDUNDANCY has always been a locking offense for a thread but somehow the hundreds of "I don't like TPM" threads continue to go unchecked. I wonder why that is?"

Why didn't you answer my question? You seemed to skirt it. If redundancy were a lockable offense, then what would be the point of the Classic Trilogy being discussed? Nothing new is ever said.

"You still haven't answered my question. What is it you hope to accomplish in creating and talking negatively about TPM?

Just what people who take their time out to come and speak positively about TPM or any other movie, to make myself heard. I have every right to say I didn't like something in the movie, and I'm sorry it hurts you so much to have people speak negatively about the film but stifling conversation is no way to get the objective done. It only makes you hypocritical, since you want to silence what most view as criticism.

Do you even care that there are fans who like TPM but must endure the constant bombardment of TPM.

No, I really don't. To be honest. Do you know why? Because they are perfectly welcomed to defend themselves and their views. That is what is called DEBATE.

And don't you care that what you're proposing would stifle people's right to express their opinions on something as trivial as a movie?

Do you realize calling someone a gusher is an insult? Can't you even like a movie without being called a gusher?"

You do realize you're labelling me a "basher?" Just as how you assumed I was labelling you a "gusher," you're doing the exact same thing.

17. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    BobaFrank, there is nothing wrong with this thread. (It's not even that negative to begin with anyways).

If you don't want to debate civilly then just ignore it. What causes threads like this closed all the time are intolerant people who come in and attack a thread for its very existence and cause it to "go down in flames."

Just because you think it's redundant doesn't mean 100% of the people out there think so. By labeling people and threads and condemning them so quickly is being intolerant of differing opinions.

I stay away from many threads (both TPM and AOTC) when I don't agree with certain things. You should do the same. Unless you want me to storm into the "AOTC Cinematogrpahy" thread and scream "AOTC had horrible cinematography! Stop starting redundant threads on the merits of AOTC when there are no merits!!" Of course not.

18. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    It is a good starting point. It introduces us to the main characters of the series, sets up alot of the issues which will come to pass over the next 2 movies and gives us some great action in the last 30 minutes

I agree. A very good beginning to the saga!!!!

19. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Loco_for_Lucas:

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

I'd like to think that people would refrain from taking a post which is just OPINION and arguing against it. I couldn't give a damn what your thoughts are on my post, because you are just shooting opinion back at me. Jeez now thats dumb.

I was more hooked on it than she was, and I spent about three years convincing her it was a good Star Wars movie.

That is why you fail.
    You shouldn't try to convince others that TPM is a good movie, it shouldnt be about that. If people don't like it fine, they have their reasons and that should be accepted.
    As long as you like the film and can enjoy it with each viewing it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Where are all these 'TPM=lousy' threads? I want to post on them!!

It does seem that the most popular threads here on the TPM board are the ones where people argue about whether TPM is good or not.

Does anyone really care about the characters in TPM? The only one I really liked was Shmi and she was forgotten about (by George and everyone else it seems). This is my problem with the film - dull characters.

g

21. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Qui-Gon was far from dull. Jar Jar (though annoying at times) is not dull, Watto is not dull, Palpatine, while on the surface may appear dull, is brilliant. And how can anyone think Darth Maul is dull? :p

There are more dull characters in TESB than in TPM.

22. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Loco for Lucas,

Points taken. :)

What bothers me is that I started a thread several months ago asking dislikes and voicing certain dislikes of AOTC.

There was an almost identical thread asking dislikes about TPM.

The AOTC thread was locked on grounds of REDUNDANCY! Yet, the TPM thread was allowed to stay.

Does anyone find this hypocritical? I mean for 4 years the same threads voicing dislikes on TPM keep being created and Mods, admins, and managers suspiciously overlook or pass the buck to another administrator.

I feel people in the JC do not want to admit that it has become "fashionable" to allow these negative threads towards TPM. But, if anyone tries the same with the OT or AOTC thery're snuffed out quickly.

I wonder why that is? Can anyone answer that, or do they just want to ignore the hypocrisy and inconsistancy?

23. stewart-18

stewart-18 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2003
    I agree with the title of this thread.

24. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    You see. I think my point is being proven.

I guess ingnorance is bliss.

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    BobaFrank -

are you saying that you want more threads that discuss the failings of AOTC and the OT?
    Or that you want threads that discuss the failings of TPM locked more often?

I do think it's indicative that TPM gets a lot more criticism than the other films, a lot more people have problems with TPM than the other films.

g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.