main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD ...you know what sucks?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by NeecH, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Trying to ship stuff to Japan on the cheap.

I'm needing to ship 3 boxes of my stuff to Tokyo and so far the cheapest I've been quoted is $90 per box - and that's by posting it! My most expensive quote was $2500... for 3 f#@king boxes!!! :eek: How the hell is it that Aussie Post can do it for less than $300 but Grace wants to charge me $2500 for the very same service? Oh boy do they suck!

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Do you really need to take that much crap with you?

3. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    ...it's not crap... and yes! This is my Xbox and DVDs we're talking about. And it isn't even all my DVDs. Just the best ones.

4. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    So basically you're just moving the life you already have to another country.

5. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    How about instead of the smart arse comments you try giving me some serious suggestions on what I can do.

I never thought there was a law against taking some of your most cherished possesions with you when you moved overseas. This is a pittance compared to what I could take over!

Should I leave all my clothes behind too?

6. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Oh well if it's advice you want then I guess you just have to smile and pay the $90 a box.

I mean what else can you do?

7. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    If the other company is a Global Moving mob then the reason you are charged so much is because they have to use a whole Frieght container regardless of the amount that is stored in it. Of course if there where already one going to said destination that they could just place your boxes on (assuming that they would fit in the availible space) then the price would deffinately be cheaper. Probably not by much though.

Onto my gripe though, just bought a PC Game, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War. Was really looking forward to playing it right about now, but low and behold, no CD Key. Thus I can't install the game. Curses upon curses! Well I've sent all the appropriate messages to all concerned. Hopefully I can have this litte drama resolved in a few days.

8. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    G's right. UNless you can find someone shipping some stuff there and go along in the same freight container. But honestly 90 a box sounds okay.

And yeah Neech, it's okay to take stuff, especially since English DVD's would be hard to get there I assume, although I'm sure Amazon ships to Japan.

BUt tyeah I'd be taking stacks more than that!

9. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    How much can you take onto the plane in Suitcases/carry-ons?

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well most airlines only allow 20 to 30kg per person for your total luggage weight. That includes the carry on luggage as it is all weighed together.

11. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    $90 a box doesn't really sound too bad. My suggestion Neech, if you wear as much of your wardrobe on the flight as you can, you'll have more room for other stuff. They set the air-con way too cold on those international flights anyway. You should still be comfortable with about 5 layers of clothing on.

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Way too cold? Last time I found it just about right.

13. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I know what sucks

When workmates constantly have sick kids and have regular sick days to stay home and look after them. And everyone else has to pick up their slack, when there is barely enough staff to do the job as it is.

They're averaging 1 a week between 3 of them at the moment. Who wouldn't love 1 day off every 3 weeks!

I'm leaving at 5 today, come hell or high water.

14. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Kahli..and I'm sure they're having a ball at home with their kids vomiting, and whinging, and crying hysterically and not eating. Goodness knows I'd rather be at work when my kid is sick, except that he only wants me, and rubbing his back whilst he falls asleep when he feels so miserable is my job ( as well as one of the best feelings in the universe), as well as the job I have at work.

..and on a side note, I used to get angry over people's kids sick days before I was a Mum. THe fair thing is that My partner and I take turns taking sick days if our kid is sick on a day when I should be at work, and we almost always go when WE feel like crap these days, so that our sick days can be for our kid.

Not meaning to offend really, just presenting a differnt point of view. But if I were you, yeah take a sick day or two if you feel that used, and maybe theyll start thinking if there are some alternatives when their kid is sick... like sharing sick days with partners and grandparents, or working back the day after or something.

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Unfortunately in this biz, there are deadlines no matter who is here or who is sick or whatever, so making up time is really just pointless busy work.

I'd be happier if it was the other 2 parents (or maybe it's my fault being the only childless one) picked up the slack in recognition of the fact that this is a system that benefits them. But that's not how it works, is it?

I understand that as a parent it is your job to take care of your kids. But at the same time, I see no fun in being the one to do the crap (ie their job) while experiencing none of the perks (ie a hug when I get home and an 'I love you mum' or what have you)

16. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    fair enough. Points taken.

Maybe you need to talk to your boss about it. If these people are taking way too many days off, or if sick leave is too much of an issue, then your company should really think about getting some casuals to fill sick leave, (or leave without pay if they are over their sick leave quota) and holiday leave, before they lose good people like you..and I know in your business, it's not easy to just step in and finish someone else's work, but hey if you're doing it, surely someone else can be trained to do it.

and it's obviously a really crummy day Kahli, so HUGE HUG! My son is throwing dinosaurs at PLay school and pouring his milk all over my carpet, so crap day all round. Of course I should be supervising him and get off the puter!!!!!! Bad parent!

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    meh. Just have a whine. (would I like some cheese with that whine? oh yes please!)

lol @ dino-milk-carpet.

(sorry)

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I know what suck - these easter bilbys!

Besides being quite obviously just chocolate santas with new foil wrappers, they are also compound chocolate, despite a thorough investigation of the bag in the shop looking for any indication of it being less than real chocolate.

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Yeah the whole Easter Bilby concept is flawed though. Maybe if the Easter Bilby was Ferrero chocolate I might be able to get over my hang-ups but as it is, I just can't.

It was bad marketing then, and it remains so. GET RID OF THE EASTER BILBY!

20. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I'll just continue to put my Gold coin donation in the Bilby tent at the Ekka, if it's all the same. I'll have some real easter bunny choccys this year.

Lindt chocolates all the way!

What sucks? Having your thread hijacked. [face_blush]

21. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    awwwwwwwwww...how sad ;)

22. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Having to wait another whole week for the next installment of BattleStar Galactica...

23. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    oooo it is good isn't it!!! and it does suck waiting. I'm sure someone must hav ethe rest of the series..but it is nice waiting each week...kind of like Christmas.

What sucks is having your work database go down every 3 minutes, and trying to actually do work in between the 2 minute off, 3 minute on pauses..and then have it go down for a whole 4 hours in the afternoon! People on help desks should be shot!!!! well not really their fault I guess. whinge over

24. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...you know what sucks?

Gremlins. No, not the little monsters from the movie, I mean the little bugs that come and go without warning.

25. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    The fact that the Transport Department isn't open on the week ends. Grrrr!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.