main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Here's to write down those little characteristics of fan fiction writers.

You know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When you always carry around a pad and paper...

Roary and pronker like this.
  2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    ... when you watch a sports car cut off a big rig in traffic and think, "Han would have done it with more style and less honking."

Roary, brodiew, ThisIsMe1138 and 6 others like this.
  3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    You know your original characters so well you swear they're living in the house with you and you blame them when things turn up missing like car keys ...

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    ... when you watch a sports car cut off a big rig in traffic and think, "Han would have done it with more style and less honking."

LOL!!!

Roary likes this.
  5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ...you read the FoxTrot cartoon on your calendar, in which Jason gets a brain freeze, and the first thing that comes to mind is not laughing at the punchline, but at the fact that you recently wrote a vig in which your OC has a brain freeze from ice cream.

...you see certain names when reading books or whatever, and you immediately think of well-known characters from fics you love.

...something happens to you or someone else and you automatically file it away for later use in a fic.

6. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm guilty of that last one :p

Word is the most used program on your computer.

7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    ...you use SW cuss words in real life.

(Layren--I'm guilty of that one.
    JadeSolo--FoxTrot is awesome! I have that calendar too.)

-Thumper

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Or, as in my case, Notepad.

You start using Star Wars swear words instead of real ones in real life.

Dana

9. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    ...when you sit watching AoTC IMAX, and all the while sitting there, thinking about how you could change and manipulate the storyline and characters to fit your story.

~aeryn

chagrian_scavenger and Gabriela like this.
  10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    1) You write a scene involving Leia and loss of a character, go to orchestra rehearsal, and bawl your way through the section of you playing Princess Leia's theme in the Star Wars Suite.

2) (This is my beta, not me) You create a Mary Sue so complex that she quotes Popes, Confucious, and DarthIshtar in the same paragraph.

3) (Still her) You actually check out dozens of books on marriage, pregnancy, miscarriage, and parenting, reading about 7000 pages for a story that lasts less than 100.

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    you watch the current political situation (whatever it is) and think about how Palpatine would twist it to his own ends. And then write the story.

you listen to bits of conversation and then try and figure out how to incorporate them into a SW fic.

Dark_Rebel_Princess and Gabriela like this.
  12. Dev_Binks

Aug 7, 2003
    You dream about your OCs

You dream about your stories

You will space out in the middle of a conversation because of an idea for a fic.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    you write a report for work and include a SW word in it. I really did this by mistake! Luckily they thought it was a typo.

you take what is going on at work or in your life and disguise it as a fic.

14. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Dreams sometimes give you entire story plots ...

LOL@Diane! good cover ;)

--You carry around a tape recorder to dictate a plot bunny idea just in case one strikes and you have no pen or paper to jot it down ...

15. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    LOL, what was the word, diane?

Once, I was typing something, and it came out "Sith." Then my boss was typing it, and it came out "Sith." I managed not to laugh aloud.

SW swear words - I say "Son of a Hutt!" a lot.

...you start thinking like your characters, imagining how they would react to situations and so on. But maybe that's just the sign of a good writer? :D

Dark_Rebel_Princess likes this.
  16. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    you get mad and you immediately think, "Oh, I can just kill Obi-Wan later."

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Jade, the word was draigon. I had just finished Draigon's Lair at the time and my company uses something called dragon which I was analyzing. Funny thing is that my friends, who got the report, noticed the draigon right away since they'd just finished reading my fic.

I didn't do it on purpose. Really! I like your story better, though although if I wrote Sith, they might think it was something else ;)

18. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    You don't think anything of going to any lengths to research something for accuracy.

I once emailed the FBI when I was writing an original story to see if they could give me profiling tips.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I needed to know how quickly a body decayed and I asked a woman who worked part-time in a morgue!

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  20. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    My co-author Greencat336 and I needed to know how a leg being untreated would affect if left that way for many months -- so she asked her school nurse (co-worker as she's a teacher) ...

When I was in the hospital this march for my heart surgery my father said I should write a story about one of my characters suffering through the same thing -- bad when your family members start giving suggestions :p I think I just kind of stuck my tongue out at him....

gracesonnet likes this.
  21. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Well I was gonna say:

When somebody cuts you off... or anything related to road rage; you wish you DID have the Force to push the opposing vehicle/driver OUT of your way! ;) hehehe but that doesn't deal with Fan fic... *snrk*... though

I am EXTREMELY guilty of walking around with 2 differ notepads (btw) and also have notes strung allllll over the house (and unfortunately at work now too!!!)

22. -Z-

-Z- Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2003
    ...a disaster in your life is narrowly averted and you say "...thank the Force!"

...you think that work 'kriffing sucks'.

...you accidentally refer to a firearm as a 'blaster.' (I'm guilty of this one.)

...you're in a meeting or class and find yourself staring at your pencil, trying to get it to move by using the Force.

...you're in the same situation as above, but you're trying to Force-choke your boss/teacher.

23. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    ...you've blurted out "Name of the Force" instead of "Oh my gosh"

...you find yourself trying to get into the mindset of one of your OCs when faced with a difficult situation.

...you're watching a movie and suddenly find yourself thinking about how your OC would react to it

...your class notes have snatches of dialogue written on the back, in the margins, etc....

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  24. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    - when you've got your OC and canon names programed into your Word dictionary so they don't pop up w/ a red line under them.

- you stare at your computer screen for hours, waiting for a Force-suggestion to write.

- you watch all the movies repeatedly, looking for instances to find out where you can odd pair people.

Hehe.

-Krystal

25. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    This is a statement I make more as a reader, but...

...when you hear a certain song, and it always makes you think about a certain story. Like what's happening to me right now. 8-}

tallie_tachi likes this.