main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You Named Your Child.....WHAT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well as the new school year starts up, there is always the crop of Kindergartners with names that reflect the latest movie trends...In our neck of the woods (No NOT in my District)..lol..there are still a number of Luke, Leia, Han's and Harrison, Carrie, and Mark's. However, Hayden is now approaching on the list..and the fastest growing name in "our" (read nationwide) upcoming class is......Darth! Yup, Darth is one of the hottest new names for kids... in our area there are at least two Darth's , one Anakin and (my favorite..poor kid) Arhtoo (pronounced R2). So far Padme or Amadala does not seem to be on the list. However, Ewan, Liam and Natalie are also fast growing. (I love all three of those! Have always been some of my favorites..even before the films) :D

Course every Disney movie is represented and most classes have Ariel's, Jasmine's, Aladdin's and other Disney names...these are great and I love em. But what have you done to your Child when you name him Darth? (Besides, doesn't the "Darth" title have to be earned?" LOL

Anyways..was topic of discussion at an inservice today. Probably the worse one is a child in the neighboring district named Lucifer. Though I would share...

Enjoy everyone!
    :D
    (course I can't say much, I was named after some strange Korean guy named Kim, who's name kept popping up in the headlines during the last part of the Koren War..so yeah.. I get to be part of pop culture too! :cool: [face_laugh] )

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I babysat a little girl names Unique. [face_plain]

But Darth? Sheesh.

3. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I remember when the name "unique" was a joke in a comedy routine, I think it was an Eddie Murphy riff.

At least there are no Jeff Damer's or Charles Manson's are there? Naming you kids after serial killers would be the height of poor taste.

4. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, when I was student teaching, my Master Teacher told me of one student she had had named God. I thought that was pretty good. (Course if you could get God and Lucifer in the same classroom..ok..now THAT would be bad taste!) LOL

5. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    One of my very close friends in high school was named Peace. Her siblings were Patience and Promise. Though their real names were African words that noone could pronounce correctly. :)

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Those are really cool names, Tionehawk! Georgous! One of the kids I worked with years ago was named Rainbow Starshine..than had an extrememly common last name. Parents were true Flowerchildren, and Rainbow was a true Earthchild. She really was all about Peace and Love. Actually names fascinate me...always have, always will :)

7. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    There was a family at my mom's UU Church in Livermore who named their little girl "Vessna" after the little alien girl of the same name in "Alien Nation."

8. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I was (and still am) a huge fan of Alien Nation. When I was still working in the Industry, everytime I managed to get booked on the show, I wound up having to do pick-up shots on the other two shows I was a regular on. My agent kept promising..but I never made it. :(

As a bit of trivia, Western Ave between the 101 Freeway and Olympic Ave in LA was the site of "Slag Town" where the slums were where most of the Aliens were forced to live. The final bit of Alien lettering/writing (surounding a doorway to a Korean Shoe Store) was painted over last year. When the show was first filmed there was permantly painted writing all over the place, then bit by bit over the years it has been painted out as owners repainted their stores. Was sad to see the last little bit go.

Still would love to see another TV-film of the show. :D

9. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I've got the whole series and all the movies on VHS. I'm hoping that SOME day it comes out on DVD...it hasn't, has it? The VHS copies are second gen and the sound isn't great anymore, which makes me sad. I was a huge afficionado of the series from day one. Just loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.