main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your FanFilm "Dream Cast"

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jasteel, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    I like hoes.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I can't believe no one wants ME in their film. :_|

3. Jasteel

Jasteel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2003
    I like hoes.

...but what you really love are hobros in blue makeup with red eyes...

Cause I mean who doesn't? Am I right??

4. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    TAC you have a place on my crew. You seem to be the webmaster, and probably would be good at getting sponsors and such.

5. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
  6. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
  7. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    I'm with Funk, I don't see what classifies any amateur action flick a fanfilm unless it has direct ties to an existing franchise.

Good thing then, that my imagination is not limited by your definitions.

8. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    ..What?

How is a basic amateur action film a fanfilm? It's not. It's a film, and should be treated as such.

9. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Funk, damn, what fanfilm is that from? Yours? Looks kickASS.

~Neszis~

10. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    No, actually. It's from Echoes of Injustice, I think.

The Dreamcast is mine, though.

11. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    ^^^^
    LOL! I wish I had a dreamcast, they all ways looked so good.

Linkage to that film please!

12. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Oh.

Good to see you got the joke.

~Neszis~

13. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    How is a basic amateur action film a fanfilm? It's not. It's a film, and should be treated as such.

I consider it such if it's created in the spirit of a particular style of film (or other media). For example, if you look at Zero Gravity?s Hero vs Alien flicks it?s obvious that they?re inspired by kaiju/tokusatsu movies like Power Rangers. I consider that a ?Fan Film?. I acknowledge that's the 'Writer's Block Media' definition not the ?The Force.net? definition.

If you want to go segregating, go ahead. I predict it?ll hurt in the long run though.

(Note: I'm not using the Japanese words to sound brainy, I wouldn't even know phrases like Wu Xia or Chambara if it wasn't for the Kung Fu Cult Cinema site.)

14. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Right. They're in the SPIRIT of said films--they're not directly taking characters or taking place in the universe of said films. Do I say that ExisTenZ is a slightly-more-organic fanfilm of the The Matrix, because it deals with similar themes (arguably...)? No. Calling a film a FANfilm will hurt it in the longrun--if it's original, it's original, and that's always a good thing.

EDIT: Also, the Dreamcast is Teh Sweet. My fave system.

15. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Point to Funk-E. If its original then it really can't be called a fanfilm since its not off another movie.

16. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Also, Hero Vs. Alien isn't kaiju I don't think. Kaiju is stuff like Gojira, Gamera etc.

If you want to go segregating, go ahead. I predict it?ll hurt in the long run though.

How?

17. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Kaiju = Giant monsters trashing stuff.

18. AzerNik

Mar 10, 2004
    Emphasis on giant. Hence human sized aliens/monsters don't cut it. Could be mistaken...

19. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    Tokusatsu, even though the word means Special Effects, tends to be the more human-sized live action 'Man in Suit' (to borrow the phrase) movies, as oppised to models or CGI.

If you want to go segregating, go ahead. I predict it'll hurt in the long run though.

How?

Now we're getting way off topic... but: Insisting that people to identify (what you guys define as) Fan Films as an art form separate to other kinds of films will only serve to... I believe the phrase is 'ghetto-ize'... those films and by extension the film makers and artist. This can be achieved externally, i.e. organizations not recognizing fanfilms, or internally, i.e. fanfilm groups become cliquish. This would serve eventually to make the genre a passing fad, having only exited at all with the fortuitous availability of technology (i.e. the internet and digital editing).

I take an interest in the future of fan films, even if I may not act like it 24/7.

20. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I disagree with you Covax - While I do think that amateur action films tend to lend themselves to comparison with similarly unimaginative Hollywood efforts - calling them "fan films" is incorrect.

Your definition in my view is a fan-of-genre film - but not a "fan film" of a specific franchise.

Personally, I find the notion of calling a fan-of-genre film a "fan film" is derogatory to the film makers - not because "fan film"s are bad pe se, but because it denies that the film is in fact original in any way.

For example, I would be somewhat offended if someone labelled our non-Star Wars project a "fan film". It may be lousy, amateur etc. - but it IS original.

I think it is wiser to go the Inside Report route - and simply tout them as amateur independent films. If something is indeed based off a franchise - then it should be qualified as a fan film - but only then.

-Spiff

21. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    You see... it's already happening...

I'm aguing that fan films should be part of amateur independent films. If I had my way I'd replace the phrase 'fan film' with something else, but that's what we're stuck with.

The trick is the word independent, it's one thing to be independent financialy and someone making a film that's independent from someone else's intellectual property.

Anyway I'm shutting up now, do what you guys want. I've got a ticket to catch a sneek preview of Shawn of the Dead, a Romero Fanfilm. [face_tired]

22. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm aguing that fan films should be part of amateur independent films.

No one argued this!

Here's the logic:

Most people: "Fan films" are a subset of "amateur independent films" - you cannot classify the broader set using a description of its subset.

Covax: By your standard, any movie that contains common elements from another person's work is now classified as a fan film. "We are all fans of film, therefore all films are fan films."

I am math. Here me roar. ;)

I say this not particularly to argue semanatics, but just to point out: The language exists to communicate. If your definition differs substantially from the bulk average, then your ability to communicate your ideas will be reduced by your unwillingness to conform. :p

Sorry for being off-topic.

-Spiff

23. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    I'm aguing that fan films should be part of amateur independent films.

No one argued this!
    Argued? No, but AzerNik wanted me to define my 'segregation' coment. I had to first create an argument to set my theory in context.

What I define as a fan film and what damage to the genre that can happen with it's misuse are two seperate issues. I don?t have to justify the former, and I?m not going to convince anyone of the latter.

"We are all fans of film, therefore all films are fan films."
    I'd thank you not to put words in my mouth. I never defined my standards on this forum. I did so at the WBM FFF, the video should still be online.

If I make a amateur independent film with wu xia elements, I'm not necessarily making a CTHD or Hero fan film (unless it shares plot elemets), I'm making a Wu Xia film. Period. If I release the film for free by my definition I'm making a wu xia film, that happens to be a wu xia amateur independent film, that happens to also be wu xia fanfilm.
    The language exists to communicate.
    And 'most people' including 'film people' don't know what a fan film is. Type in fan film at http://www.onelook.com/ and what will you find? For the most part it's FTN nomenclature. I've already aknowladged the difference several posts up. When communicating with TFN folks I have to use thier language, if they ever come to my neck of the woods I'd expect them to pick up mine.

Simple as that.

24. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    I don't understand at all. Your wu xia film would be just that--a wu xia film, that you happen to be releasing for free. How does that make it a fanfilm?

25. AzerNik

Mar 10, 2004
    Ow, my brain hurts at the non sequiturs in Covax's reasoning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.