main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your highlight of celebration V

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Matt_Jedi, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I had the time of my life. Orlando was a MILLION times better then L.A.

2. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Friday night, having the last dance with A New Hope Leia.

Saturday, The Fireworks display at the last tour to endor.

Getting my first kilt.

Hanging out with old and new friends. Also the panels on writing were great!

3. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    When it comes down to it, the entire Celebration was my highlight. But, I'll list some of the best things I experienced there (in no particular order):

- Waiting in line for Jon Stewart and George Lucas from 1 AM and actually getting into the Chapin Theater and watching the interview in the same room as them. It was a blast - especially after we got to see the new deleted scene from Return of the Jedi.

- Last Tour to Endor. I had never ridden the Star Tours ride before, so it was good to go on it before it changes to the new design. The Raiders of the Lost Jedi Temple of Doom show, was incredible as well. I was at the showing where George Lucas was in the audience and Seth Green, Anthony Daniels and Jamie King played extras in the show. The fireworks they had there at Hollywood Studios were also some of the best I've ever seen.

- Waiting in line for Mark Hamill and watching his panel. We were really, really close to the front of the line and met some cool people while waiting.

- Getting autographs. Hammill's, Eckstein's, Cane's, Taylor, Blakiston, Kurtz, Burtt, etc. Just really really cool.

- Getting my photo taken with Mark Hamill. Seriously, he is such a nice dude.

- Walking around the exhibit Hall. I even met Dave Filoni not 5 minutes after walking into the hall on the first day. He was just wandering around looking at stuff!

- Seeing new Clone Wars footage.

- Meeting fellow fans in line.

- And last, but certainly not least, a couple of days after the convention I scored an invite to a small, 15-person private party with Warwick Davis where we watched some of his past works and had snacks and beer. I know this wasn't AT Celebration, but I still count it as part of the experience. It was, by far, THE highlight of being down in Orlando for the convention for me.

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    - Being able to make it inside for the Mark Hamill event, even though it meant I had to walk out of the Hasbro panel.

- Stopping by the JC/FF booth and finding out that people still remembered me after all these years. It was great to put a face to some familiar names.

- Having a Tatooine Sunrise in the Echo Base Ice Bar. My first time inside a bar... And I'm 26! Yeah, I need to get out more...

5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You cannot imagine the annoyance I had when Dani told us you dropped by while I was at a panel and had no idea if you'd be past again.

6. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Sorry I missed you, Dingo. :( I wish I could've spent more time at the booth (heck, I should've gotten the 4-day pass), but my friends were in a rush At least I did get to take a picture with the gang. I hope to upload it as soon as I fix my computer.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_dancing]

I look forward to seeing the picture!

Regarding people still remembering who you are, just be glad KnightWriter wasn't at the table to regale you with 2 hours of stories of what he liked best about the golden days. I mean this in the most affectionately teasing possible way. :p

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It would have been really great to meet you, too bad I missed that as well. :(

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Spoiler-free tillll Celebration VI.

10. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Yeah, that would have been fun. :p

It's great that you're keeping the Spoiler Free tradition alive, btw. :) Those were fun times back in the NSA forum. Well, except for that time a troll spoiled most of AOTC for me...

Wish I could have met you too. :(

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey, it's that guy I think I was there for when other people met that I don't know! But now in posting form!

12. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Oh, were you the one who had trouble hearing me? If so, I'm sorry, I've just always had a really soft voice. And in such a loud convention floor, I probably looked like a mime. :p

13. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    hey, its that guy i met who said he was son of the suns, and i told him he should come back and post. and i guess he is. so, good job, me!

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It's more that I think I was there at the table when you'd stopped by, but hadn't gotten involved in all that as I wasn't enough of a veteran poster to have any past knowledge. So I was more of a witness to the event than a participant.

15. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000
    yay sos is back posting

:tape

duct tape rules!

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Here's the picture of me at the booth (I'm in the upper right):

[image=http://i53.tinypic.com/10e0aj5.jpg]
    Thanks for inviting me back, it's good to be posting again. :)

And yes, Duct Tape does indeed rule. I wonder if that ancient thread is still around somewhere....

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I thought I'd sufficiently not been in that picture. Clearly, I have failed.

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Friends - all the other stuff is cool but I go to see friends.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd for the most part agree with this, but I'd also add making friends to it as that was a big part of it as well, not just people I already knew and/or had as friends. Particularly as I'm now sort of dating someone I got to know really well at CV.

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Dude, you can't just drop that bomb and walk away. Details, man! :p

I understand what you mean. I made new friends too. Seeing folks is why I go.

Next time I swear I won't be on any panels! That was just too darned stressful.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not sure if that counts as dropping a bomb, per se, as it's not as though I've bagged a TFNer or such.

At CIV 3 years ago, I'd met a few new people that I'd added to facebook. earlier this year, one of them had sent me a message asking some questions about Comic-Con because she was going to go to be flying to the US for that, then to Florida for CV, and knew that I go.
    I ran into her at a panel at Comic-Con, exchanged cell phone info, met up with her a few times during the course of Comic-Con, and then in Florida spent half a day at Disneyworld w/ her the day I flew in, half a day at Universal Studios the day after that, and then spent a ton of time with her over the course of CV itself (I think I might've spent a majority of my time at CV itself with her, sometimes with larger groups as well, but at least with her), and then spent two days with her at Disneyland as she had a stop in LA on her way home, and then hung out a bit in Hollywood w/ her and the friend she was traveling with before they headed to the airport to fly home, and got her by herself enough to tell her how I'd been feeling about her.

Like, a week or so after she got home, this all started to get sorted out and finally heard how she felt about me.... and basically, I consider it "sort of dating" simply as what with her being in Australia, there isn't actual dating going on atm, per se, but just saying "long distance relationship" feels too formal.

She is TOTALLY the highlight of CV for me now.

22. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Getting Carrie Fisher's autograph and a hug from her. It was amazing. She is my idol and I absolutely love her. [face_love]

23. Baco_Sapan

Baco_Sapan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2010
    I know it's a little late. But I haven't been on TFN ever since Celebration V cause I've been really busy doing other stuff. Still, I haven't been able to get Celebration V out of my mind ever since I went. So I thought I'd share my highlights as well :)

As most other people have said, being at the Celebration itself was just pure awesomness. But the things that stood out to me the most were as followed:

1, Seeing all the awesome star wars fans in all they're awesome costumes.

2, The fact that people were actually taking me and my wife's picture. Which was really unexpected due to the fact that I didn't think people would take pictures of us because I didn't think our costumes looked as good as some of the other people that were there. We felt like celeberties :D

3, Attending the Mark Hammil Panel. I didn't get to physically meet him, but seeing him live and in person was awesome enough for me. He's been my favorite star wars character since I was a kid and he was just straight up hilarious. I thought it was so funny that he was so clueless about all the stuff from the SW movies, lol. That and when Jay played the footage of him on the muppet show. That was the funniest moment of them all and seeing poor Mark embarassed and covering his face was just priceless, lol.

4, The Hoth Ice Bar. That was just so freaking cool. I felt like I was actually in a cantina seeing all the people there dressed up in costumes and just chillin and drinkin. At one point I actually started dancing like an entertainer from SWG and some people actually looked at me, lol.

5, When I got interviewed by Mark (the black guy) during the Robot Chicken panel before Seth Green and Jay and all the guys came on the stage. He was walking around interviewing random people in the audience and he saw me in my Shistavanen Jedi costume (aka Star Wars Werewolf Jedi costume) and he brought me over and interviewed me. Thought it was awesome that I was there on the big screen for everyone to see, lol.

So yeah, those were the highlights for me.

24. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    the fireworks show was pretty gangbusters for sure...and finally running into some tfn chapter mates there was cool. I also loved the props in the halls, I thought there were a few more than civ...and the TIE interceptor was quite impressive.

25. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    That reminds me of one of my favorite things from C5, helping the Belgian guys set these all up. I was volunteering, and I was assigned to help them out with whatever they needed.

The AT-AT story: usually when those guys set up the AT-AT, they use 2 forklifts and they have it up in no time. But with the type of flooring they used in the hallways of the OCCC, forklifts weren't allowed on it due to scratching. So we had to get creative. We ended up taking up most of the morning talking to 4 different unions (don't get me started). We had guys on 2 scissor lifts with straps going underneath the AT-AT. Four long, wasted hours later, the lifts were finally ready to go up and hold the body while we fastened the legs to it. As soon as it got about 1 foot off the ground, the union bosses told us to put it back down, and they completely washed their hands of it. They all walked away saying they would have nothing to do with it. They ended up giving us hand-operated lifts (much slower), and we had it up in a couple of hours, which we could have done in the first place. Mega props (pun intended :) to the Belgian guys for being so awesome.

The TIE story: the TIE was built by Josef and his daughter (Melanie, I think. Don't remember). Josef is a professional carpenter. He did all of the construction and welding. The TIE almost didn't go up at all because the welder's union guy apparently didn't like Josef's welds and wanted his own guy to re-weld the entire TIE. A compromise was reached. Josef would have to drill giant holes in the wings and rig it to the ceiling (not sure if any of you noticed that, but it was rigged to the ceiling. It had never had anything like that before, and it held just fine as it was through other conventions and many people sitting in it, including the people it was built for, Josef's family.) The union boss wouldn't okay it if it wasn't rigged to the ceiling, so Josef drilled 4 big holes in the wings for the rigging equipment to attach to. We are all for safety, so we ended up doing the rigging, but it made me angry because the welder guy pretty much said Josef's professionalism and passion weren't good enough for him.

Glad you and so many others liked them! :) (I'm also glad our flight left before the end of the con, so I didn't have to take any of them back down...shew!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.