main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Your thoughts on Spider-man *possible spoilers*

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I, myself, thought it was a 10 out of 10!! The storyline was great, minus a couple of changes from the comic(true Spidey fans will notice) and the special effects were excellent. At first, I thought Tobey would be a horrible Spider-man but you gotta figure that Peter Parker is just an ordinary, nerdy kid until he becomes a hero. And William Dafoe?? He's just a GREAT actor in everything he does and he's a great super-villan in this one.

2. synasp

synasp Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    thumbs up. 4 stars. 9.5 out of 10 (would have given 10 if not for Kirsten Dunst... she was a great Mary Jane, but not perfect... She's forever the little vamp in Interview with a Vampire for me)

anyway, I had absolutely no problems with the story... there are so many different stories of Spiderman, and I think they did it great compacting it into such a short movie (relatively)..... the costume was excellent.... from promos, I thought it would suck, but it's great...... hm... what else....... the Glider Green Goblin uses.... wow......... wow..........

would liked to have seen better pumpkin bombs (as in they look like pumpkins maybe?) but at least they were orange and shaped relatively like one...

cast was great... JJ Jameson was perfect as well as some others.... I was somewhat dissapointed with the lack of the Gwen Stacey story, but when I thought about it, this is better because then he has always loved Mary Jane... although it's kinda a creepy stalker-ish thing... since she's literally next door and totally oblivious while she's changing.... hm......

the webbing as a natural part of his powers was excellent, but it will take away those tense situations when he ran out of web and had to change the cartridge before he fell... but that's fine... I think the webbing should always have been a part of the powers...

yeah, overall, I loved it.... will see it again at least 2-3 more times in the next year, and will check it out on the IMAX screen........

ahem... okay..

3. dstagl

dstagl Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    I left in shock. It boggles my mind that after all the crap movies of the last year, something good finally came out. My wife and I both loved it, and I think we're going to go again this afternoon. This summer is going to be like the summer of '89 all over again, I think, with loads of great movies.

Dave

4. Octavya

Octavya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 1998
    It was fantastic! I found it very entertaining. It had a great storyline that made sense. If it weren;t so pricey to see movies around here I would definitely go see it again.

-Oct

5. podracerdave

podracerdave Jedi Master

Mar 10, 2002
    My fiance and I took a break from Celebration II and went to go see it - we really enjoyed it! I'm a big Batman and Danny Elfman fan...so it probably helped that he did the score for the movie.

Yep, almost like the summer of '89...just replace Indiana Jones with Star Wars!

6. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Only Sam Rami could've made this picture. What other director would have the nerve to use the line "We'll meet again, Spider-Man!" and get us to take it fairly seriously...? His style (that wonderful mix of over-the-top action while letting his characters be aware of how ridiculous everything is) is perfectly suited to the style of Spider-Man comics.

The first time we see Spidey swinging from building to building... chasing Ben's killer, struggling to get his movement under control... it was incredible. Unbeleivable.

-Le Penguin
    "I trust my barber!"

7. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Now if we could only get Raimi to do a "Superman" movie........

Also, anyone see the teaser for the "Hulk"? When I was in San Francisco last week, I got to see them shooting some scenes involving a cable car and car wrecks. No actors were present, the real ones at least. I'm totally hyped for this one to come out.

8. naalex

naalex Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 1999
    For me, Spider Man was decidely average. It wasn't a bad film, but it didn't sit well with me, which is odd because I usually like everything. The dialogue was poor and really strained at times, especially the scene in the hospital room when Parker was droning on to MJ. Elfman's score was also disappointing, nothing on the par of Batman. The beginning credits sounded too much like Batman Returns as well. I do hope Elfman hasn't run out of creative juices after hearing his score for this film and Planet of the Apes.

With that said, I did enjoy the Green Goblin scenes, especially the fight scenes on the grounds. The shots of the Goblin gliding in the distance with exhaust trailing behind him were terrific and eerie. Jamison as great as well.

Watching Spidey made me realize how good X-Men was. That was a really solid movie in terms of the script and cast. I hope that for X-men 2, fox gives it the same treatment in terms of budget and marketing that sony has given to Spidey.

9. Soulraven

Soulraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    Those of us who didn't score concert tickets Saturday night in Indy went to a showting. Very nice! I think they handled the story well, and they told all the parts that needed to be told. I also like the webbing being part of his natural powers. It just fits. Why get all these other spider enhancements and not that?

I appreciated the way they worked him into his role, being awkward at first with climbing/swinging/web-slinging. They made a good movie, while still staying true to the comic book genre.

10. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Quick: hum the theme to Batman. Now quick, hum the theme to Batman returns. Now Beetlejuice. Now Batman the Animated Series. Now Planet of the Apes.

See what I mean? Elfman's scores are about as diverse as the Extra Value menu at McDonald's.

That said, they're still pretty effective and entertaining. They just don't have the power they used to, like in Batman when the sound was fresh instead of comfortable.

-Le Penguin
    "I sincerely miss those heavy-metal bands."

11. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    First off: Hulk Trailer, Everybody starting screaming when his eye turned green. Even more with the house damage.

Spider-man. I just have to echo what others have said of William Dafoe's performance, awesome epic. That scene with the mirror was truly epic. And the laughter echoing around the mansion. Truely chilling.

I loved this movie! JJJ was another spot on performance. When he refused to give up the photographer, perfect, just what the character should do.

And a little whoohoo for not just one but two hot guys. Peter was soo cute and Harry, very nice. Wait you want to know how they acted? Okay, they were both very good.

So lets recap, I loved this movie. Can't wait to see it again, and again, and again.

12. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I saw this movie about a week ago. I loved it. I thought Tobey Maguire made a believable Peter Parker. I really bought his relationship with Mary Jane. And that kiss in the rain is one of the most exciting kisses this year!

They really handled his origin very well. You see how he let the powers go to his head. He really blew off his Uncle Ben during his last conversation with him which only increased his guilt when the Burglar he let go kills him. And that line "I don't see how that's my problem" is chilling for those of us who knew what was going to happen.

I'm looking forward to future Spider-Man movies. It's nice to know Hollywood is making good superhero movies again.

Phil

13. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    We have Daredevil and the Hulk to look forward to next year!!!

14. danimalicious

danimalicious Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    well, I don't quite know about Daredevil. I mean, Ben Affleck? I think that they have the suit down pretty well, which is important only so far as it's indicative of the overall look that the film will have, but well, I don't know. I'll give it a good shot, since really, Marvel has been really smart lately with their licensing.

I'm also hoping for a little fast plot and more action from X-Men 2. Also, if it's true that Magneto will end up working with the X-Men, that will be too sweet.

Hulk, though, is one I am looking forward to. I really want to see what Ang Lee and James Schamus can do with the story. I read a script review based on a pre-Schamus draft and it sounded like utter crap. And it's like, don't give us crap. Don't give us what you think we want - these books have been around for longer than most Hollywood execs have been alive, so obviously, they're doing something right.

15. Garrock

Garrock Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2001
    I really liked Spider-man, I have been a comic collector for 18 years. With of few changes it could have been fantastic. Yet if you have seen the rest of the Marvel movies, Spider-man was great.

16. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay - I just saw Spidey yesterday. Went to the drive-in with Kath, Keagan and his friend Anthony. And before I say anything about the movie, the first that makes a crack about going to the drive-in gets an ass beating. 'Cept you, Penguiin. Nothing will shut you up, so I don't even bother. :)

The movie. SUCKED!!!!! Totally sucked. I give it a 2 out of 5, and I'm being kind. Totally disappointed me, and Kathy as well. Now maybe seeing it on such a big screen was a bad idea, but geez - could they have screwed with the story any more??? I love Spider-Man. My fav superhero by far. Always quick witted. But in this movie? Hell no. I can think of one - count it - ONE, point where the smart assed Spidey made an appearance. And that was the "Cheese" comment to the camera he webbed up while he was beating on the thugs. Other than that - NADDA! And the "love story" between MJ and Peter - blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... it just ran on and on and on and on..... Get to it, you two. Geeez! The special effects were just there. Nothing that really blew mw away. Him yelling like an idiot when he first tried to swing was plain stupid. And speaking of swinging - don't even get me started the webbing coming from his wrist. Geeez - could you change the story any more????

Worst scene (besides the crap between the opeing credits and the closing credits): Goblin and Spidey on top of the building when GG talks to Spidey about joining forces. Five minutes of talk without a single mouth being moved. Classic. Classic crap.

Thanks but no thanks on a Spidey 2.

17. synasp

synasp Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Jeff- hahahaha..... oh man, that was great... I really like Spiderman, but ah well, your comments were appreciated and entertaining.. thanks!

as for the wrist thing, I think it works well.. I mean, why not have the webbing be a part of the spider bite?... Stan Lee loved the idea... in fact, Stan Lee said he liked the movie more than the comics.... maybe he's getting paid to say that, but still.......

um... I think my favorite scene was at the bridge, when the GG is about to finish off our web-slinger, and then the people of NY start screaming and yelling and throwing trash at the GG....... hahaha.... but on top of that, the throwing and heckling was enough to stop the GG! Hah!.... I think a pumpkin bomb (er, whatever that was) or two could have make the heckling stop.. anyway, on a serious note ( :p ), I think the whole entire movie had a baaaad post 9/11 tone to it... I'm not sure if they actually changed the story because of 9/11, buuuut was the whole American Flag pole thing really necessary?... it just gave me a "oh god, what the hell does this have to do with Spiderman?" feel... I dunno.. maybe I'm wrong...

anyway, I loved it still.. I?d go see it again, but I have to fund Ep II instead.. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.