main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Zieg waiters NOT on the NYLINE

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by chanjumar, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chanjumar

chanjumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2001
    I posted something similar in one of the questions threads, but I felt it needed a new thread so we can speak about this issue without confusing matters.

First let me again state that I am not in any way bashing the NYLINE or the great work they are doing.

With that said, I know that I am not alone in saying that one ticket for the 12am show is not sufficient for me. I need several tickets for several showings to pull off the fun I had with my friends since 99.

So this (if anyone participates) is a thread for those of us who plan on being on the front of the Advanced ticket line. A place to share information and reasources as they come in.

So far as I see it the main questions that need to be answered-- and let us all dig where we can-- are.

1) What is the day that the tickets will go on sale?

(Oddly enough if we use SPIDERMAN as a model that would put tickets on sale April 27th. The first day of the NYLINE)

2) How long would the Zieg be willing to allow people to wait?

I think this is actually the larger question. It is my hunch the reason NYLINE is not allowed to be at the head of the ticket line, is because the Zieg does not want thousands of people lining up for too long. And the theory being if a bunch of folks see 350 people already "in line" well then others may line up prematurely.

I am assuming there will be limits to the wait time. Probably they will allow us to stand THAT day at 6am. But again, if we dig for info we will find it.

Let the discussion begin.

2. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    As much as it saddens me to say it, i think i may have to pass on the NYLINE. My friends will attest to my great excitement and desire to be a part of it, and meeting some of the very cool staff at the BMA seemed to only close the deal for me. I had been looking forward to the line up since i passed on it back in '99.

But in the end, the new rules just make it too difficult. And truth be told, i do understand why they are in place- and i can't really disagree. But like my pal Chanjumar up there, what is most important to me is seeing it with close friends- many of whom simply can not do the NYLINE.

I kinda hope something changes so that i may have my cake and eat it too... but until then I'll be dreaming up ways to make this advanced ticket line thing work.

cheers.

3. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    1) What is the day that the tickets will go on sale?

We do not know yet. If we go according to TPM, they will be on sale May 9th, which is 1 week before AOTC.

2) How long would the Zieg be willing to allow people to wait?

From what i've heard, you can line up the morning that tickets go onsale. So 12am counts i suppose..hehe

4. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    Echo, out of concern that people may be having a problem with some of the NYLine rules, I'm wondering what specifically is causing distress. If you'd like to post or email privately, I'd love to hear your worries.

Obviously, we had to think of every possible situation that could create problems with line members, the Ziegfeld, Fisher Brothers, and the neighbors and businesspeople who populate West 54th Street. But that doesn't mitigate any of the fun we hope to have.

If the shifts seem like a lot of waiting, it's little more than in 1999, and nobody seemed to have a problem then. We did make the point total a bit higher in the hopes people wouldn't just show up the first weekend of the line, fulfill their minimum requirement, and then disappear until the film opens. The reason for the line is as much to help the Starlight Children's Foundation as it is to secure a ticket for the premiere opening day show. And we need a non-stop presence on 54th Street to keep up the visibility for Starlight - after tickets went on sale in 1999, there were shifts in the week leading up to the film when we only had 4 or 5 people waiting, and that's because they were international visitors who didn't see the need to pay for a hotel room.

While we require a minimum number of shift hours, many people who showed up in '99 expecting an endurance test became addicted to the line. We're truly hoping to recreate the magic that brought fanatics back to the line day after day, but we need the best fans as members to make it happen!

5. RickJediKnight

RickJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    It really is not a lot of waiting. Take it from someone who did 10 times the amount he originally planned in 1999. You are not only waiting on line for a ticket but you will be attending an event long to be remembered. Seeing TPM at 12:01 at the Ziegfeld was a great experience. Friendships were forged on the line. Friendships that will last a lifetime. Bonds will be formed over SW but will evolve into areas beyond it. You'll go to see SW with them, then out dinner, other movies, cons, go to parties at their house, help them decide whether or not to get a cat, and go to their daughters First Communion.

Multiple tickets are great but the experience of the line, helping out Starlight and making new friends is more important. You might think the rules are harsh but they aren't. Time on the line goes quickly. Before you know it you'll have a 100 points racked up and want to do more. Ep2 will be in theaters for months and you can see it dozens of times the line is a once (actually 3 ) time in a life experience and well worth it.

-

6. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    SLJ and Rick?

I appreciate the encouragement and your words do not fall upon deaf ears. In fact, in some regards, you're preaching to the coverted. I have no problem with waiting on line, (and were i to do it? i'm sure if my schedule allowed i'd be there more than my required shifts) but the problem is many of my friends simply can't (or won't) do NYLINE.

It's a hard choice to make, trust me, but right now seeing it opening night, sitting next to my close friends who love Star Wars as I do, is my priority.

7. chanjumar

Jan 5, 2001
    To Echo what Echo is saying, (hah that's pretty funny),

It has nothing to do with the line or the time spent on the line. Heck, we will probably be waiting more time on the "advance ticket line" than we would if we did shifts with NYLINE.

None of the rules are that harsh, with the exception of the not being able to be first on the "advance ticket line" when it forms. This though is a deal breaker for the situation we are in.

And I hope to meet a lot of you (I work VERY VERY close to the Zieg so I'll be around) but my other friends and I have been waiting far too long to see this film together that we must do what we must do.

Indications are that the advanced ticket line will be one week from the show date-- we'll search for confirmation.

8. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    To all that will not be participating with NYLine. It is a great risk your taking. You will not be garunteed a ticket for the midnight show.

You will likely have to be one of the first 25-50 people on the general line for ticket day.

Good luck.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    To all that will not be participating with NYLine. It is a great risk your taking. You will not be garunteed a ticket for the midnight show. You will likely have to be one of the first 25-50 people on the general line for ticket day.

Wow. That almost sounds like the Tarkin Doctrine in order to get people to sign up for shifts! :D

Granted, you guys did FANTASTIC work setting all of this up and for charity no less... but there are simply some of us with multiple friends who will not or can not wait on the line for one reason. I alone have 5 other people (which doesn't even get into family members) who would want to go opening night at midnight if I have tickets. I can't, in all good conscience, willingly exclude them if I even have a chance of scoring tickets elsewhere. I figure if I can get World Series tickets on Ticketmaster.com I at least have a decent shot at scoring tix in some manner for Episode II...

Which also isn't to say I won't stop by the line and make donations of supplies, etc. and generally hang with the cool dudes and dudettes there. Just that I don't know if the NYLine is the place for my needs. Does any of this make sense?

10. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Nothing is to stop an NYLine member from removing his Line Badge on ticket day and waiting on the general line so they can get more tickets for midnight or other showings.

I plan on doing just that. I do want to see the movie more than just once opening weekend.

World Series tickets, non season tickets = what about 40,000?

Episode 2 at the Ziegfeld non NYLine members about 800?

11. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Hey you guys are lucky...
    You actually have Star Wars fans in your family :) Besides me only my brother likes Star Wars and he is only 9. I wanted to get tickets for him at Ziegfeld but you know I can't stand in the regular tickets line. So as far as I see it I will watch the midnight show, come home, stay on the net, go to school, come back and take my brother to the crappy multiplex for his first Star Wars. Ahhhh...there is always Episode III for him :) Who knows maybe he will line up then...

I'm all ready baby!

PM me for Edit reason-MS

12. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    "To all that will not be participating with NYLine. It is a great risk your taking. You will not be garunteed a ticket for the midnight show. You will likely have to be one of the first 25-50 people on the general line for ticket day. "

This is not meant to be harsh or sound like strong arm tactics to make people sign up for shifts. This is the truth. We believe anyone who comes to this board must be a fan that really wants to get into the midnight show at a great thater like the Zieg. There are simple facts regarding NY Line .
    1. There are 350 line participants and there are sponsors to take care of as well. This means that well over half of the seats will be gone before ticket day even begins. Is this unfair? Not really. Anyone who stood in that theater in '99 and met TJ, a Starlight child would realize it's for a great cause.

When I was on the line I personally took a generous donation from a lady who came down just to see us. She wanted to say thank you because Starlight had granted a wish to her young grandson. I chatted with her briefly while she praised Starlight and the idea of the line. When I asked how her grandson was doing she paused a moment and then told me he passed away at 10 years old. I look forward to doing it again and God willing, in 2005.

Star Wars is a great movie...but there are things far more important. I have many friends that love SW and I will see it with them eventually. but this line is something that is very important to the kids.

13. SJLinNYC

Dec 25, 2000
    A misconception seems to be arising that you can't be a part of NYLine and still line up for the Ziegfeld line for tickets. You can line up for ticket day, it's just that your membership in NYLine won't get you any preferential treatment during that line. For what it's worth, I'll be lining up in the Ziegfeld ticket line when advance sales occur, because I plan to go to more shows than opening night.

So, you ask, what does NYLine get me that waiting on the Zeig line doesn't?

1) A chance to participate in all NYLine activities and win the prizes that sponsors are donating. Some of these prizes will be one-of-a-kind items and will never be available elsewhere. These prizes aren't just for raising money for Starlight; some of them will be given for the winners of games, trivia contests, and other NYLine activities. Non-NYLiners will not be able to participate in these activities (except to stand around and watch), and they won't be able to win any of the prizes.

2) The guarantee that you will be able to buy 1 ticket to see the midnight show at the Ziegfeld. Remember, in addition to the people at the front of the box office line, you will also be competing with Moviefone and online ticket sales for whatever tickets remain after NYLine, Starlight and the line sponsors receive their share.

3) The opportunity to enter the Ziegfeld for the midnight show at least an hour before the general public. It's possible the middle section of the Zieg will be roped off and reserved for NYLine members; while that section won't be available for your non-NYLine friends, you can still scope out the remaining seats in the theater and save them before the general public even comes through the front door. Remember, the Ziegfeld will not be a reserved-seat theater for "Attack of the Clones"; unless you're at the front of the line on opening night (that night, the general public will be admitted AFTER the NYLine, regardless of what time they show up), you may end up being unable to sit with a large group of friends anyway.

Between online ticket sales and moviefone, the need to be at the box office on ticket day is minimal. NYLine organized for two reasons - to throw a big party for "Star Wars" fans and to help Starlight children. While your presence on this message board doesn't obligate you to sign up for the NYLine, we're inviting you to participate because you're a visible part of the New York "Star Wars" community.

I honestly believe that all the work we're doing will enhance, not detract from your AOTC experience. And nobody wants to come to the message boards on 5/16 to see tales of regret when everybody here had a chance to be one of the 350 who will share the experiences of the line itself and the NYLine opening night festivities.

14. asax

asax Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2001
    Not that I want it to seem like we're bombarding you with these posts if you don't want to join our line (even though we do want you to come, as you guys are all the die-hards) - another misconception may be that you would have to actually sit with us, and separate from your friends on opening night. The beauty of not having assigned seating is that if you don't want to sit in our roped off area, you won't have to. You wouldn't get the priveledge of coming in early and stuff, but you can stick with your friends and family. That way one can guarantee themself a ticket for the premiere, and then their friends can come and wait on the advance ticket line for other shows or more premiere tickets.

Hehe, I was afraid we made the requirements too easy. But what do I know, I like Jar-Jar.

15. chanjumar

Jan 5, 2001
    AHHHHHHH.

I feel like my nick should be COUNT chanjumar, off in my remote section of the NYC galaxy leading the seperatists. Wow.

Truth is I am nervous. I am starting to see that it may be easier to wait on the NYLINE and move to the Main ticket line with more ease than it first appeared. In those initial Q&A's it seemed like a sheer impossibility. There was also a comment that NYLINE might have to break camp that day-- is this still a maybe?

I have to regroup with my small army and see what they think of the arranngement. Truth be told I think we're a bit worried about "double waiting"-- but maybe it's not so much of an issue.

More to come I guess... But know that I really appreciate not only the work you guys are doing, but the time you are taking to rope the seperatists in.

:)

16. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I must say I'm feeling the pull, too, Count Chanjumar.

We must call a meeting of the CIS and discuss these matters ;)

17. SJLinNYC

Dec 25, 2000
    COUNT Chanjumar :) - If we have to break camp for Ticket Day, it'll only be for about 24 hours, then we'll set things back up and resume normal NYLine fun'n'games. Again, you're not losing anything by waiting with NYLine - you can still move to the Ziegfeld line on Ticket Day (as long as you realize NYLine membership will neither help you nor hinder you - NYLine simply has nothing to do with the Ziegfeld Ticket Day line). But you'd be losing out on a great party, the opportunity to win some pretty cool prizes, and the chance to give your time on line extra meaning by using it to help raise money and awareness for the Starlight Children's Foundation.

18. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    geez and you guys wonder why i have "line anxiety". ;)

19. Mowgli-Wan

Mowgli-Wan Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002

Hello all. I've just read up on your, oh so passionate, conversation and the one question I have wasn't addressed.

Will there be a non-NY Line, shift based, ticket day line?

If so, I'm down. Along with probably most of my ten or so die hard SW friends (also participating in the NY Line).

Count Chanjumar, my men are ready! When do you need us?

-Mowgli

20. chanjumar

Jan 5, 2001
    Mowgli

If we do it, I doubt it will be shift based, because all indications show the Zig will not allow us to wait at the theatre overnight (which is why the NYLINE folks have gone through so much to get where they are)

We are homing in on the ticket on sale date-- more to come. But for the meantime, it looks like my ten or so friends would run shifts within our group, for as long as it takes.

- THE COUNT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.