main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zito signs record deal with Giants

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Barry Zito has agreed in principle to a deal to jump across the Bay and join the San Francisco Giants after starring for six years with the rival Oakland A's, SI.com has learned.

Zito's big deal with the Giants is for $126 million over seven years.

The contract -- the largest ever for a pitcher -- also includes an option for an eighth year for $18 million (with a $7 million buyout) that could increase the total value to $137 million. The option will vest if Zito throws 200 innings in the final year of the deal, 400 innings over the last two years or 600 innings over the last three.

Zito picked the Giants over the Rangers, Mariners, Mets and Yankees, who were still trying to unload Randy Johnson before considering a real run at Zito.

MLB.com first reported Thursday morning that the Rangers expected Zito to sign with the Giants. The Rangers had put a deadline of this coming weekend on the star left-handed pitcher.

Zito's Giants deal will be finalized after he undergoes a physical.

Zito, who is 102-63 lifetime and won the 2002 AL Cy Young award, recently told the San Francisco Chronicle that he wanted to get market value, and he accomplished that and also got to stay at home by staying in the Bay Area. Zito has lived in San Francisco while playing for the A's, who made no effort to re-sign their former ace.

The original asking price for Zito was believed to be seven years for $119 million, so the pitcher actually beat his goal by getting $126 million (and beat Mike Hampton's record contract for a pitcher).

Zito, 28, gives the cross-Bay Giants a new No. 1 pitcher after they lost Jason Schmidt to the rival Dodgers. The Giants made a mild attempt to retain Schmidt, who's had shoulder troubles in the past. One of the advantages to Zito is that he's never been hurt and has never spent time on the disabled list.

"It's a huge piece of the puzzle as far as solidifying our rotation," fellow Giants lefty starter Noah Lowry told The Associated Press. "We have a couple of No. 1-caliber pitchers. I'm obviously going to be able to learn from him. I think the seasons as long as they are and as grueling as they can be, he hasn't missed a start. That says a lot about the guy and his durability."

Zito was also believed to be hoping to pitch in a major metropolitan area, and he accomplished that goal simply by staying home.

The Yankees were eyeing a run at Zito in recent days while trying to trade Johnson to a team out West. However, they have been unable to find a deal with the Diamondbacks, Padres or anyone else so far and were not about to reach the $126 million level for Zito anyway.

The Mets offered a five-year deal for between $75 million and $80 million and hoped to convince Zito that he could make up the difference by landing endorsements in New York. The Mets will now try to land a top-of-the-rotation starter through trade. They've talked to the A's about one of their starters -- notably Rich Harden, Danny Haren and Joe Blanton -- and the White Sox about Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez. However, the Mets have thus far been unwilling to trade their top prospect, pitcher Mike Pelfrey.

"We were not willing to go to the seven-year areas he said he had," said Mets general manager Omar Minaya, who conducted studies on the performances of pitchers with lengthy deals, told The Associated Press. "This is one guy who has been healthy, and we all wish him well. At the end of the day, the history ... I could not recommend to my ownership to go to seven guarantee years

The Rangers' offer to Zito was $84 million over six seasons with a vesting for a seventh season at $15 million.

The Yankees are believed still interested in trading Johnson. The Diamondbacks are probably the most likely landing spot since Johnson lives there and has a full no-trade clause. The Yankees have great interest in bringing back Roger Clemens when he decides to return.

The Mariners already acquired two starters this winter in Miguel Batista and Horacio Ramirez and were probably not as motivated as the Giants, who had the

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I predict buyer's remorse will see its first symptoms right around the All-Star Break, and then full effects being shown in about two years. Too much money, too many years. Bad move, Giants.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Does it help the team on the field? sure. Is he worth anywhere near that much? nope. Yet another ridiculous contract.

Although I will say I'm glad he didn't go to the Mets and the NL East :p

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Bad longterm deal, yes. Good short term deal.

5. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    That is just crazy. No one should get paid that much.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yea...I wish the Giants hadn't spent this much on him. But we did need an Ace, and Zito is good. The money could have been better spent (perhaps) to fill up some of the other gaps on our team...but we did get a great player out of it.

7. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003

I definitly agree with that. Don't get me wrong, Zito is a good pitcher, but he is not an elite pitcher. To be honest: Zito's #'s have not been that eye boggling over these past 2 years. But he should thrive in a pitchers friendly park, and should put up solid #'s (coming to the National league should also help). ("IMO") I don't think he was worth all that money... I can only think of maybe 3 pitchers off hand that you can maybe make a case about being worth that kind of money -- Zito is definitly not one of them. Over-all: the Giants get a proving ace with one of the most devastating curve balls in baseball: who'll put up at least 15 wins with sub-par ERA, and a pretty good whip...and give his team a chance to win most of the time when he takes the mound. He also eats up a lot of innings...so it'll also give there bullpen a break. I think the Giants made a good move -- just payed him way more than what he was worth.

8. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    It really depends on what he does next season. The Giants really need an inning-eater, and they'll definitely get one in Zito. Since they've lost Schmidt and Cain is not experienced enough, Barry offers a proven arm, and is quite young compared to the rest of the team. But just watch as he breaks his arm in April... :p

9. Arminca

Arminca Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    What good is it to get just one man?

I mean the Giants need to improve in other areas. Last season I got to watch them play in their own park and it was just too superficial and a lot of hype.

Players should get bonuses and prove to the team that they are worth it. If they play certain number of games or out perform themselves then get $$$ by bonuses.

Why pay for any player who's gonna be out for half the season? There have been enough players out there who we've seen this happen to.

The Red Sox deal with JD Drew is super ridiculous more than Barry's. Barry is healthy as opposed to Drew. Yeah, it's the teams $$$ but the money also comes out of the fans pockets thru food, parking, tickets, etc....

It's important to have consistency, health, heart for the game, veteran leadership, and rookie passion to have a great team. Isn't all about going to the playoffs and eventually being the World Series Champions!

Many players don't care about the game only about their pockets! Then why do some accept contracts with teams that keeps on losing? It's not about the fans or the team! Just give me my $$$. As the saying goes, "Money talks and bull**** walks".

You gotta edit it all out, not just part.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Pretty amazing. 5 years ago, Zito Hudson and Mulder were studs. Now they's all good, but not great. Who would have thought none of the three would be consistently dominent.

Or wouldn't have ended up with the Yankees.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    lol

That probably is the most surprising part ... that none of them are Yankees

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Not all that surprising that they're all spread out now, though.

But yeah, definitely surprising that none are with the Yankees. Or at least the Mets.

13. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Well, it hasn't been all that great for the Big Three, as Mulder has really struggled since leaving Oakland and Hudson has had some bad luck as well (he had one of the best winning percentages while with Oakland). I'm Zito will do fine in one of the NL's most pitcher-friendly parks.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think Zito will do fine, though not up to that kind of money, especially not by the end of that deal.

Then again, I also think (or at least hope) that Hudson starts to pitch like he did in Oakland.

15. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Our pitching staff is looking great now, and unlike Schmidt, Zito missed only 4 starts or so last year. With Cain, Lowry, Lincecum (who's supposedly very good), Morris, and Zito, all we need now is to get rid of Benitez. I like this deal a lot.

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm just glad he's somewhere that wouldn't cause much of a problem for the rest of the NL. If he had gone to the Mets, then there'd be trouble. Giants? Not so much.

17. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2006
    Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a very large percentage of Mets fans around here.

Well... Ta Da! Here I am, and not a moment too soon (that means I'm late to the discussion).

The biggest deal in the history of baseball (for a pticher) goes to, um Barry Zito? Really? Okay, fine. I'm just glad the Mets were not the ones to do it. A Great pitcher three or four years ago who is clearly mediocre to say the least and slightly above average to say the best does not ever deserve this much money. But in a free agent class starved for a pitching, a GM willing to spend, and a pitcher who's agent happens to also be the Devil, and you've got a recipe for history, albeit ridiculous history.

Once again, I'm glad the Mets didn't make the biggest deal in history for Barry Zito. I'm not happy about our pitching staff as it is right now to start the year, but at least there are trade options still available that might not have been if they had made the deal instead of the Giants. And more power to them. Now they can watch twice the amount of home runs fly out of that park with Benitez and Zito, a world-famous fly baller who loves giving up dingers in small parks.

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Hey, there's a thread for us Met fans. :p

I'm happy the Mets didn't bite either, as it will help them down the road (perhaps enough financial flexibility to snag Dontrelle?).

19. JOHNNY-B

Mar 18, 2003
    "(perhaps enough financial flexibility to snag Dontrelle?)."

I can't see the Marlins trading Willis to the Mets...no way!

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It won't matter what the Marlins think when Dontrelle reaches free agency.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    when have the Marlins ever not traded away a star before he hit free agency? and when have they ever been picky about not trading to a division rival?

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    The organization is a bit stingy, aren't they? :p I can't believe that a team that has won a World Series, so recently, doesn't have a better home market when it comes to fans.

23. JOHNNY-B

Mar 18, 2003
    A lot of that is due to financial stability and the Marlins pay roll (also there inability to build a new stadium). One of the reason we lost quite a few stars. The biggest one being Carlos Delgado last year to the Mets. Something as a fan: I've not been very proud of over the years. We have the ability to be an elite team, but it all comes down to the money, and it's something there always going to struggle with until they get there own stadium. Honestly though: I really believe the Marlins will do everything to keep him around. I hope anyways... Are staff is a lot stronger with him in it -- makes no sense for the Marlins to just shop him. We need him if we're going to try and make another serious push for another title. So will just have to see what happens in 2007

"doesn't have a better home market when it comes to fans."

It's hard when in 97 they completely dismantled are team, and they always get rid of are stars. It's kind hard to care when things like that happen often.

24. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    Hey, this thread is about Zito and the Giants, not free agent speculation.

Zito hasn't missed a start ever, I don't believe. Over his 6 complete seasons (2001-2006), he has started more games than anyone else in the majors. To have that durable a pitcher at the start of your rotation is something special. He takes the ball every 5 days and takes the hill to give his team the chance to win. He has a 102-63(.618 career winning percentage) record, with a 3.55 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP. As a Giants fan, I'll take that. I also was comparing his wins over his complete seasons, and only Oswalt, Schilling, and Randy Johnson have more wins since 2001 I think, I may be wrong as I couldn't get MLB.com's stupid search function to work right. Anyway, I like the signing. Did Magowan pay too much, probably, but time will tell. At the very least, our superstar player will be named Barry for the next several years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.