main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY 2 Star Wars fan film nights on Long Island

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dolt, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    Hi-
    Just a visitor here, but I figured you guys might be interested.

I'm doing a library program on Star Wars fan films two nights in May here on Long Island--one night on the South Shore, one night on the North Shore.

Oceanside Library, Thursday, May 5, 7:30PM
    Port Washington Library, Friday May 6, 7:30PM
    Both programs are free and open to the public

SUMMARY: "May The Fan Film Be With You" will discuss and screen some of the best Star Wars fan films ever made, presenting them the way they were meant to be seen--in full-quality video on big screens. Each evening will have a different line-up of films, but ?the essentials? will be shown both nights. Films to be shown include: Revelations; Hardware Wars; Troops; Tatooine or Bust; George Lucas In Love; Duality; Pink Five; Pink Five Strikes Back; The Jedi Saga; Beagle and more! [Big thanks to all the filmmakers for their permission and assistance].

Besides showing movies, the program will discuss the history of the growing fan film movement and explore what compels filmmakers to invest so much effort into their personal visions of the Star Wars mythology. All material screened will be appropriate for the whole family, but the discussion will be aimed primarily at adults and young adults. The program is expected to run about 100 minutes.

For directions to the libraries, visit www.oceansidelibrary.com or www.pwpl.org. The Port Washington library has a bigger screen and a killer Meyer Sound PA, so cinephiles will prefer that location. On the other hand, my wife is the program director for Oceanside Library (guess how I got roped into doing this program?), and the more people who show up for the O-Side show, the more she impresses her boss, which in turn bestows great freakin? karma on everyone in the audience.

Oh, and yeah, I know the name of the program is corny--I didn't make it up....

2. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    This sounds interesting. I think I can make the Friday night show. Anyone else interested? --Billy

3. GotMauled

GotMauled Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    hello.
    I live close to ocian side. Is there any sign up or donation charge?

4. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Hi-
    They are free and open to the public. Public libraries never charge for programs; likewise, Lucasfilm only allows fan films to be shown if no money is changing hands--that's why you can't buy them in stores, for instance. I had to get permission from all the filmmakers to show their movies, and they were all very concerned that people didn't have to pay to see the movies--they don't want lawyers crawling all over them just because some guy on Long Island showed their movie!

Anyway, yeah, feel free to come out and catch the flicks; it should be a lot of fun!
    Clive

5. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Hey Got Mauled,
    TK-Wha??, Ark and I are going to the Friday showing in Port Washington. Are you interested in that one? --Billy

6. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Hey Dolt,
    When we see you in Port Washington, we'll have to give you a DVD of our AeroSith band (www.aerosith.com). It's a fan film / parody. Maybe you'll like it enough to show it at one of your screenings. --Billy

7. GotMauled

May 1, 2004
    hi
    Yes if others are getting together i can do port washington. I just haveto check joannes return flight.
    Are we going to do costumes???

8. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Cool--I'd love to check it out, so thanks. I saw the link to it on the DB516 website and the idea is so twisted that I bet it really works well. That's great that some of you are going to try and check out the program. I'll do my best to make sure everyone has a good time.

9. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    I can try to come May 6th, but that is right before finals so I have to see how much I've studied before deciding to go. I'm definately leaning more towards yes though! Should I go as Leia?

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Tatooine or Bust is a really cool documentry -- I can't believe that thing is 8 years old already! George Lucas in Love looks great on TV, so it will look awesome on the big screen! :)

11. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    This sounds cool--I think I could make it for Friday too. :D Where would I go on the train to meet up with somebody to get a ride?

12. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    By the way, if you guys have a flyer or something about your club that you'd want to hand out, let me know and I'll check with library policy to see if they allow such things (I imagine they would). If you guys are showing up in costume and all, might as well put the attention you'll get to good use and recruit some folks.:)

13. ark3

ark3 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 27, 2003
    It turns out that the Port Washington Library is less than ten minutes from the Port Washington LIRR station (last stop on the Port Washington Branch) on foot. There's a train that leaves Penn Station at 6:24 and arrives at Port Washington at 7:04, leaving plenty of time to get to the library. Of course, if we want to meet for food prior to the showing, an earlier train might make sense.

14. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Who has the flyers to hand out?

15. Angerboy

Angerboy Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2005
    I was looking into maybe joining a fan club. I figure it's a good way to meet new people on the Island. I will definitely be at the Thursday one in Oceanside cause it's down the road from my house and may try to make the Friday one as well. Hope to see a big turnout.

16. GotMauled

May 1, 2004
    Hi.
    If triss or some one can email me the flyer i can print some for the thursday night showing.

Hay angerboy I can meat you at the library. I'll be the guy in allblack with blond hair.

17. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    I'm printing out new corrected versions of the old flyers, and I'll make some AeroSith ones too.

18. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    I traded shifts on Friday.So now i'll be there.
    BTW, I cant believe there are 118 pgs of icons
    to pick from.

19. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Hey-OK, I checked with the Oceanside Library and they said flyers for your club are fine so long as they aren't selling anything. Once I find out the rules for Port Washington library, I'll update on that.

20. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    We don't sell anything and its free to join the club. All people have to do is show up. :)

21. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Cool--I checked with the PW library and it's the same deal. I figured that'd be the case with your flyer--it was actually the AeroSith flyer that gave me pause for thought, since I know you have a DVD and figured it might be mentioned on there (though admittedly I don't know if you sell it). Cool.

22. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Yoiks--turns out I need to work Friday night, so I won't be joining you guys. :( Have fun!

23. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Hey Dolt,
    Can you give us directions to the two locations? --Billy

24. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Oceanside Library's directions are at http://oceansidelibrary.com/directions.htm
    There's a tiny map there, but here's the directions on the page:

Driving Directions

Eastbound
    From SO. STATE PKWY: EXIT 17S (MALVERNE) onto OCEAN AV. Continue SOUTH on OCEAN AV. to SUNRISE HWY. Turn LEFT (EAST) onto SUNRISE HWY. and continue to OCEANSIDE RD. (TACO BELL on corner). Turn RIGHT (SOUTH) onto OCEANSIDE RD. and continue SOUTH to DAVISON AV. (FARMER JOEL'S is on left). Turn RIGHT onto DAVISON AV. Library is three fourths of a block up on the left side.

Westbound
    From SO. STATE PKWY: EXIT 20S onto GRAND AV. Continue SOUTH on GRAND AV. Turn RIGHT (WEST) onto SUNRISE HWY. and continue to OCEANSIDE RD. Turn LEFT (SOUTH) onto OCEANSIDE RD. and continue SOUTH to DAVISON AV. (FARMER JOEL'S is on LEFT) Turn RIGHT onto DAVISON AV. Library is three fourths of a block up on the left side.

From Meadowbrook Parkway
    EXIT M8 (FREEPORT) onto SUNRISE HWY. Go WESTBOUND Continue to OCEANSIDE RD. (HESS Gas Station on corner). Turn LEFT (SOUTH) onto OCEANSIDE RD. Continue SOUTHBOUND to DAVISON AV. (FARMER JOEL'S is on LEFT). Turn RIGHT onto DAVISON AV. Library is three fourths of a block up on the left side.

The Port Washington Library's directions are at http://www.pwpl.org/information/directions.html
    Here's what that page says:

The Port Washington Public Library is located at One Library Drive. Here's how to get to the library from various places:

From Eastern Long Island (via the Long Island Expressway)
    Take Long Island Expressway westbound to Exit 36 (Searingtown Road-Port Washington)
    Turn right onto Searingtown Road
    Continue north and cross over Route 25A (Northern Boulevard)
    Searingtown Road becomes Port Washington Boulevard (same road, different name)
    Continue north until you reach the Port Washington Post Office on your right
    Turn left onto Main Street
    Continue along Main Street. You will see the "Landmark on Main Street" on your left. At the traffic light, make a right into the Library Parking Lot.

From New York City (via the Long Island Expressway)
    Take Long Island Expressway eastbound to Exit 36 (Searingtown Road-Port Washington)
    Turn left onto Searingtown Road
    Continue along Main Street. You will see the "Landmark on Main Street" on your left. At the traffic light, make a right into the Library Parking Lot.

From the South Shore of Long Island
    Take the Meadowbrook Parkway northbound
    When Meadowbrook splits, stay left and go toward New York
    After the long curve, stay right and exit at Long Island Expressway westbound
    Take Long Island Expressway westbound to Exit 36 (Searingtown Road-Port Washington)
    Turn right onto Searingtown Road
    Continue along Main Street. You will see the "Landmark on Main Street" on your left. At the traffic light, make a right into the Library Parking Lot

From Glen Cove, Oyster Bay, Bayville, etc.
    Go south by the most convenient route to Route 25A
    Turn right on 25A and go to Port Washington Boulevard (Route 101)
    Turn right onto Port Washington Boulevard

By Long Island Rail Road from New York City
    Take the Port Washington Branch to the last stop
    Ride in the first car, if possible
    Taxi and bus service available at the station

By Bus
    The N23 bus serves Manorhaven. This bus may be accessed from the Mineola Bus Terminal a

25. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks for the directions. We'll see you there. --Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.