main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO 2nd Official Meeting : A Bantha BBQ

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by LukeSkiewalker, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Hey everyone. We are tentatively working on our second meeting. We would like to have an outdoor cookout. We are working on the details on where it will be and is tenatively scheduled for Saturday, May 31. If anyone is willing to host this let us know! Otherwise we will try to reserve a shelter at a public park. We will be scouting a location this week. Any suggestions for where we could host this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyones support and input!

EDIT: Topic locked because meeting has already been held

2. Lordstimpy

Lordstimpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    That sould like a great idea, I should be able to make it on the 31st after noon.

As for a location, how about Watkins Mill or Smithville Lake?

Or another idea how about a Royals game? Meet somewhere before the game and have a tailgate party.

3. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Where are those parks? I have never been to them. Also a Royals game is a possibilty. However, I unfornately will not attend. Since the Strike in the early 90's I have refused to pay for a MLB ticket. I will gladly organize this and attend a gail gate though.

4. clonedmenace

clonedmenace Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    Smithville lake would be cool. Um, it's in... Smithville... I really have no better idea than that, LOL. I'd probably rather not go to a ball game or something... yeah, just some input....

5. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Where is Smithville lake in relation to highways and such. I've never been there. I don't know the MO side all that well.

Nevermind I just checked Mapquest. It is over 40 miles away from where I live. Can we try to find a park a little farther South?

6. clonedmenace

Jun 29, 2002
    No fair, the last meeting was way south! i vote north! ;)

I'm jk, you know... you plan it, you can pick where it is....

7. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    :p I can understand that for some it (where the last meeting was held) might seem a little south. Honestly, from about 39th ST it only takes about 20 minutes. For the BBQ I am trying to find a Place that is within 10-15 minutes to the Southside of downtown. We'll see. I'll make a thread to find out where everyone lives and we can make our decision about where to have the next meeting from there.

8. JediDBM

JediDBM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2003
    How about Wyandotte County Lake? I dont know where that would fall for all those posting here and have hopes of attending. Just a suggestion... You know me, I'll travel to where ever our designated location is located. :D

9. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    That park is about 41 miles away according to mapquest. Antioch Park however is about 10 miles from me and about 10 miles from the KU Med Center. It is pretty centrally located I think for everyone except Bud. :( sorry. If everyone could please check how far they are from the address below I think this might be a nice compromise.

6501 Antioch Rd, Shawnee Mission, KS, 66202

10. Lordstimpy

Apr 1, 2002
    Thats a 30 minute drive from Liberty.

11. clonedmenace

Jun 29, 2002
    Thanks, I don't have to do the math! (I'm in Liberty) :)

12. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    So is 30 minutes too far or is it acceptable?

If it is not acceptable does anyone know of any parks in KC proper? The only one I have ever been to is just past the 12th street bridge and I don't remember the name.

I would really like to have this at a park that has a shelter and I would like to try to reserve one by the end of the week.

Please let me know. I think you guys want this chapter to become official as much as I do so any help is VERY welcome.

MTFBWY

13. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    Antioch Park sounds good to me, We are about 40 minutes away, not a big deal, you have mine and Abbi's vote for Antioch Park

14. Lordstimpy

Apr 1, 2002
    I would perfer if it was closer, but I would be ok with driving that far. Also it depends on what time. Some times I don't get up until 2 or 3 on Saturday(If you don't know I work nights).

15. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    LordStimpy you bring up an interesting point. Do we want to do this for lunch 1pm or so, or do we want to do this for dinner 6pm or so. This matters because if I reserve a shelter for only a half day it is going to be reserved from either 8am to 3pm or 3pm to 10pm. A half day reservation is $30 or $35 depending on the size and a full day is $50 or $55.

Let me know what works best for everyone. Also I haven't mentioned it before but I think this would work out best if each person brought some meat, buns, and maybe a side dish. I plan on bringing hotdogs, some hamburger meat and maybe some beans.

If you plan on attending say so here.

Say what time you prefer and what you would like to bring.

Thanks everyone.

16. clonedmenace

Jun 29, 2002
    I guess I can go the distance, if it works for everybody. I might add, though, that I will have only just gotten my license, and I don't think my parents will be up for the whole drive-way-across-town thing after say four days of driving... *sigh* i suppose I can bring one of them along. Probably either time will work for me, but I'll have to know soon so I can tell my boss.

17. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    This is only a suggestion, but Lordstimpy (Tony) you live in Liberty, will your mom be coming with you at the end of the month? What if, a big if, if your mom is coming with you, maybe you guys could give clonedmenace a ride since you are all coming from Liberty. Maybe share the gas expense, heck, I would even help with the gas money if need be. Like I said, just a thought everybody...

18. Laynel

Laynel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    I know I'm new and all, but I would love to come if I can. Are all these parks in Johnson County? I'm south of there, but it'd be ok with me.
    Laynel
    P.S. Supper would be better for me because of work.

19. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Laynel - anyone is welcome who is a Star Wars fan. Antioch park is in northern JoCO. The others are either in Wyandotte or Jackson.

Also, this came-up at our last meeting: We would prefer that anyone who is under 16 please have another adult accompany them. This is for your safety as well as anyone else's.

Also- I would prefer the evening as well. I know LordStimpy and Laynel suggested that as well.

Finally, there are two open polls. One of them closes Friday May 9th. It is to see where we want to have the next meeting. Whatever the vote is for is where we'll have it (even if I have to drive 40 miles :) ). The other poll is to pick a name. that one closes in about 3 weeks. It will not be official but I would like to see how everyone feels about it.

*steps away from podium*

Have a good weekend everyone!

20. Lordstimpy

Apr 1, 2002
    Just letting you all know I will not be able to make anything on the 31st. My brother is getting married.

21. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Sorry to hear that... :(

22. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    FYI:

I called to check on price/availibilty of a shelter at Loose Park. All I got was voice mail.

I will try agin tomorrow.

23. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    I am sorry everyone, It was announced that the last week in May (this month) starts store inventory, schedules are locked in place and no days off will be permited at that time. So work is going to prevent me from making this months meeting. I will find a way to get "the prize" for the trivia questions to LukSkiewalker (Bradley)

24. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Okay so far Bud and LordStimpy have said they won't be able to make it on May 31. I have not forwarded the request to DarthJurist yet so we can still change it. Would May 24th, 25th, or June 1st work for anyone?

At the very least we need to have 3 people so it is official. I know Mara_Jade_Raven can make it and obivously I will be there. We could postpone the BBQ until our 3rd meeting. Any suggestions?

25. Laynel

Laynel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    If it's in the evening almost any day should work for me. I just need to know what date is decided so I don't make other plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.