main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 30 Rock

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Big surprise, I couldn't find a thread for this show...

"9:30-10PM
    NBC
    Season Premiere
    30 Rock
    A-

With its dense thick slabs of topical references and absurdist non sequiturs, 30 Rock sometimes seems like a late-night Adult Swim cartoon show come to life on prime-time network TV. Which is one way of saying that it's amazing the show hasn't been canceled. I'd guess that achievement is due to Rock's slew of awards and A-list guest stars (Jennifer Aniston, Salma Hayek, and Steve Martin will all appear soon), plus one of two notions: NBC Entertainment co-chairman Ben Silverman is either a much bigger fan of the show than he is of ratings, or he's just not paying attention. In either case, the result is joy in the fantasyland 30 Rock makes of network TV. ?Ken Tucker"

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9:31-10PM
    NBC, TV-14

30 Rock

"Liz Lemon sits next to Oprah (yes, the real one!) on a plane back from Chicago. Then the rest of the studio audience/passengers all get brand new cars!"

3. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Love this show so much. It's the best comedy currently producing new episodes IMO.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    NBC, TV-14-D

30 Rock

"Jennifer Aniston shows up as Liz and Jenna's friend Claire, who goes all googly-eyed over Jack. Two Friends cameos down, four to go. Come on, LeBlanc, we know you've got time!"

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Fun episode, but weaker than the first two of the season.

6. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    the kenneth stuff was much better than the Aniston stuff, which was pretty good too.

Did they even announce that some of the cast from Night Court was going to be in this episode?

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Gavin Volure
    Airs: Thursday November 20, 2008

"Liz joins Jack to a party at his friend Gavin Volure's mansion, only to have Gavin fall completely in love with her. Tracy fears his kids have sinister intentions when they become too nice to him. Kenneth entrusts Jack to invest his savings into Gavin's business venture."

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Reunion
    Airs: Thursday December 4, 2008

"Liz is forced to take Jack to her high school reunion. Don Geiss awakens from his coma and makes his choice for the new GE CEO."

9. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Really good episode last night. Possibly best of the season yet. Jack Donaghy as "Larry Braverman" was solid gold.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Rich 50 year olds are middle class 38" [face_laugh]

Vintage Jack. Geiss deciding to stay in charge was a shocker though.

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought it was a fun, if mediocre (for 30 Rock's standards) episode.

I was then reminded by my roommate that I said this for several season 2 episodes that became my favorites upon second viewings. This will have to be tested later in the week.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Tina Fey's popularity remains one of life's greatest mysteries..... (It had to be said! :p)

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9:31-10:01 PM
    NBC, TV-14

30 Rock

"Jack tries to spend Christmas away from his mom, but seeing as Elaine Stritch is on, my guess is that something doesn't go according to plan."

Jack and Elaine Stritch! I may have to watch this...

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Last night's episode had an increased level of quotable material over past episodes, which I didn't think was possible. Tracy, as usual, killed with his one-liners ("Oh, we're both black, so we must know each other. Hey, Irene!", "My kids have a peanut allergy, but my dogs only eat steak!"), and Baldwin -- also as usual -- had the best line of the night with the nursing home that coordinated Napoleon's exile.

Awesome stuff.

You know, this show is so full of awesome throwaway lines that you really can't savor all of them in one sitting. I could barely keep up with them in this last episode. By the time that I had fully digested one awesome morsel of wit (e.g., the "Basquiat" line totally did me in), Tina and Co. would throw another one at me.

"If I wanted to lick a hippie, I'd return Joan Baez's phone calls."

Even better was the subtle 9/11 "eight-minute reaction" joke. Very slyly played, 30 Rock.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Senor Macho Solo
    Airs: Thursday January 8, 2009

"Jenna thinks Liz is only attracted to a guy because she wants a child, while Jack helps Tracy and his wife Angie develop a "post-nup" and helps get Jenna an audition to play Janis Joplin."

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Retreat To Move Forward
    Airs: Thursday January 22, 2009

"Not wanting to go alone, Jack tricks Liz into going on a business retreat with him. Jenna finds that method acting in preparation for her upcoming role as Janis Joplin allows Frank to take advantage of her. Kenneth helps Tracy understand how diabetes affects him."

17. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I love this show from the bottom of my heart, and it fills the void left by Arrested Development so well, too.

The last few episodes, however, weren't as great as usual, at least in my opinion. But this one sounds like a promising episode.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    NBC, TV-14-L

30 Rock

"Elisa's grandmother disapproves of Jack. And no, not because he thinks Puerto Rican is an ethnic slur. Rather, he looks just like a Spanish-soap villain."

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Larry King
    Airs: Thursday February 26, 2009

"Tracy does an interview with Larry King and causes mayhem throughout New York City. Jack wonders if his career will get in the way of taking his relationship with Elisa to the next level. Liz loses her cell phone in a cab and sends Kenneth out to Queens to retrieve it."

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Goodbye, My Friend
    Air date: Thursday March 5, 2009

"Liz befriends a pregnant teenager from a donut shop she visits in the hopes to adopt her baby. Kenneth plans a combined birthday party for Tracy and Jenna, but Jenna wants all of the attention and a party of her own. Jack agrees to go out and party with Frank to keep his mind off of his absent girlfriend and ends up bonding with him over their parental issues."

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    The Funcooker
    Air date: Thursday March 12, 2009

"Liz cannot find a way out of jury duty and is forced to leave the staff unmanaged, causing absolute chaos. Tracy and Jenna act immaturely, and Jack devotes his full attention to launching a new product."

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    The Bubble
    Air date: Thursday March 19, 2009

"Jenna hopes a new hairdo will keep her in the public eye. Liz finds out Drew's good looks afford him special treatment from society. With Tracy's contract up for renewal, Jack tries to keep him at TGS."

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    LATEST EPISODE
    Apollo, Apollo
    Air date: Thursday March 26, 2009

"Jack plans a perfect party for his 50th birthday, including recreating one of his favorite moments from his childhood. Kenneth and Pete unite to make Tracy's childhood dream come true. Meanwhile, Dennis Duffy admits to Liz an addiction he has, which causes friction between her and Jenna."

24. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    2nd best comedy show ever. next to seinfeld

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Season 3, Episode 17 ? Aired: 4/9/2009
    Cutbacks

"What should be excitement over the 50th episode of TGS turns to fear when Jack announces budget cuts and layoffs. Liz realizes she needs to do some negotiating to save jobs, while Kenneth takes on extra responsibility, causing Jenna and Tracy question his integrity."