main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Somethings - The First Star Wars Generation?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by crashdown, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm 35 years old, and I was 9 when Star Wars The New Hope first came out in theaters. I was there when it all started, and I was at the PERFECT age to appreciate it the most. Star Wars impacted my life at an age when I was discovering the world - and therefore, Star Wars impacted how I saw and experienced the world ever since.

I believe that those Star Wars fans out there that are in their 30s have a special relationship with Star Wars. We have a unique perspective that I don't think others have. Fans in their 40s or older did not have the same "life changing" experience when Star Wars first came out, primarily because their view of the word had already been largely formed. And fans that are in their 20s or younger did not have the opportunity to experience Star Wars at its birth, and/or had so many other high tech movies and TV shows to choose from that Star Wars did not have the same impact.

Am I wrong?

What do you think? And how do you think your generation (your age) plays in how you view and experience the Star Wars Odyssey?

2. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    I know how you feel, i´m 32 myself, and i saw Star Wars (as it was called then) at age 6 in the cinema together with a friend and his father. I don´t think i understand the movie at that time, but i did see it at least one more time, before ESB hit the cinemas.

I think i was more "ready" when ESB came out, and i couldn´t wait to see the next movie ( I didn´t know at that time, that there will be another, but i would hate to see Han Solo end like that). Maybe that´s why i think ESB is the best movie (so far) in the star wars saga

3. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I had a really hard time with ESB when it came out. After the ending of The New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back was a bit of a let down. Unlike you, I knew that there would be a third movie......there had to be. How could they let things just site with Han in carbonite. Up until my early 20s I always thought of ESB as the third best of the three (don't get me wrong, I still loved the film........after all it is Star Wars). Until the SciFi channel started running all three of the movies in sequence, and I got to see ESB in context with the other two movies. I now think of ESB as equal with the other two movies, but that's only because I no longer think of the three as separate films, but rather three chapters in one story. But, to this day I still can't watch ESB alone.

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Well, I was 11 when I saw TPM, and I thought it was the coolest movie ever, hands down. I think you do have a point, in that people my age generally would be a bit less impressed by SW ... but I was hooked anyway, so I can't really say. I managed to completely miss the release of the SEs (don't ask how ... I'm still wondering) so TPM was the first time I'd ever watched a SW movie.

It boils down to individual experience, I guess. I'd say SW realy did have a big impact on me, because prior to watching TPM I wasn't too big on sci-fi/fantasy stuff ... but getting hooked on SW changed that, and now I think that type of stuff is the best. :p

I think that people who saw TPM or the SEs at a young age ("second generation" fans, so to speak) were also influenced by it, just like you were watching ANH as a kid. I have a friend who was obsessed with SW after watching the SEs ... still is, actually.

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Ahh, new Geriatrics to the JC...

Might I interest you all to the Senile City (Geriatric Ward).

A place for the old minded to chat it up without kids intervention.

//edit: markups ;)

6. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Jedi Satimber,

Thanks for the advice, but I would rather try to generate a little discussion rather than chat (albeit, there's nothing wrong with chat). This may be a bit much to ask for, but hay, I'm an optimist.

It's more likely that this thread will die with us old timers.

P.S. "DarthXan318" it's great to hear that TPM had the same (or a similar) impact on you as ANH had on me. But what do you think of the original trilogy? Both in terms of the quality of the films, and their importants in the Star Wars Universe.

P.P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "that old" to be only stuck on the original trilogy (I'm deep into the EU). But I always refer back to the original trilogy when watching (or reading) the new stuff. Do you do the same, or do you compare everything with TPM?

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I actually didn't think about it that way. To tell the truth, about a week after watching TPM, I got my hands on the SEs and had a SW marathon (yes, I was hooked that fast ... I never do anything halfway if I can help it). So, in a way, it wasn't really TPM that influenced me but the entire saga. But what I really loved was the lightsaber duel with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Maul ... I still think that part's great, and what I liked most about the OT were the battle scenes. I still think the Death Star II battle is the best I've seen. So yes, that's what I remember the most ... the fights.

That said, I think the OTs are probably the most important bit in the SW universe ... the PT is how it started, but it's in the OT where the really important stuff happens (we get some of that in EPIII, but I can't really say because it's not been released yet can I?). I don't think TPM and AOTC could exist without the first three ... they're what started it all.

And to answer your second question ... I'm a big EU buff, but I rarely compared the books to the movies. And if I did, it would be the OT, simply because most of the EU deals with Luke and his new Jedi Order ... it's like a completely different galaxy compared to the PT. Obviously, I think to TPM when reading prequel tie-ins, but that's not the point.

You know, I hope that makes sense, because it's past 1am and I know I'm rambling ... there probably is a point in there, but I think I lost it. :p

8. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    messed up my links... [face_blush]

crash...the link is for other "adult JC" talk. If you ever want to check it out.

Me, on the other hand...I do not look deeply into the "meaning" of things. It is too egotistical IMHO.

A movie is a movie. Entertainment.

9. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    AH! Yes! I saw Star Wars when I was 11 and it did shape my entire life. Summer of 77 was spent in the air conditioned darkness of Greenwich Cinema watching Star Wars over and over again (I refuse to call it that other name! [face_plain]

At 18 I skipped school to wait in line. I stood up and cheered when Vader threw the Emperor over the railing.

Yoda talk, MTFBWYA, Use the Force, all those lines were integrated into me. They came as second nature.

I have more to say but . . . I'm off to the movies!!! :D

10. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Continuing . . .

Over in Phoenix we have a guy named LORDPARSEC who did a movie called "Looking for Star Wars". It's mostly about the AZ lineup for AOTC but there's parts of it about going out to Yuma to the "Sarlaac Pit" and the PFF and such. In the movie Alice Cooper .. . yes, Alice Cooper says "Most of your life is defined by Star Wars".

This is how I feel. I think my life would have been very dull if Star Wars had not come out. I never got into Indy and I've only recently discovered Tolkien. To me, GL is today's Tolkien. He's weaving a legend that has impacted society as a whole (ok, maybe not as a whole but . . .) While I don't always agree with the flanneled one, I am still grateful to him for the life he gave to this story.

And also of the philosophy of "Do or do not, there is no try". I have always believed if you are not going to do something with excellence, why bother? As I get older, I've lightened up a little on this to allow for the gravity of humanity (meaning both the graveness of living on this earth and the actual force that keeps us planted on the earth . . . I don't know about you but gravity is not my friend 8-}).

So, I agree that SW has made quite an impact on me and did play a major part in who I am today.

~~~Queen Jada Marnew~~~

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    And fans that are in their 20s or younger did not have the opportunity to experience Star Wars at its birth
    I wouldn't go that far, because it's really tough to base a person's fan experience on their date of birth. I'm 27...and in regards to turning 30, I feel like a Red Leader making the trench run..."Almost there" ;)

I was born in June of 76...and yet, I still remember going to see "Star Wars" (as it was known then) in the theater. And no...my parents aren't one of those stupid couples that brings crying babies to movies(BTW...find a baby sitter) So from my "certain point of view" I was able to experience the entire SW experience; despite being 11 months older then ANH!

Our early childhood is so full of "images really...fellings" rather the specific timeline, that as long as you remember growing up during the time of ANH-ROTJ...you're really part of that 1st generation of SW fans.

EDIT:
    I don't think TPM and AOTC could exist without the first three ... they're what started it all.
    From a movie-making perspective, you're right...the ability to create the world of the prequels was unavailable (without looking like a cheap sci-fi movie). But i terms of the story...I think what we're learning about the people who shape the universe of OT is going to drastically effect how I look at ANH-ROTJ.

do you compare everything with TPM?
    To give you an example of how I try to look at the overall SW universe (movies/EU...everything) Last January, a local theater held a Star Wars Trilogy SE marathon (yeah it was great watching all 3 on the BIG SCREEN again)!!! Only now, when they show Vader having his moment of choice (save his son...serve his "master") in ROTJ, my first though is..."what is he thinking about: Padme, Shmi, the life he could have had???"

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well as another First Gen fan, I feel the same way.

I was 13 when I first saw the film. It was the very first film I actually went to see more than once in the theatres.

The number of influences it had on me continue to this day. Totally appart of my involvement with a FanForce chapter and Rebel Legoin doing the costume thing, that one movie defined my interests for the rest of my life.

Examples. Because of Star Wars (and just Star Wars, Empire and Jedi only reinforced this) I got an interest in astronomy, computers, the space program and robotics.

I joined the local astronomy club in 1979, and have been an on again/off again member to this day.

I wrote my first computer program in January of 1980 (Pascal on a Cromemco!), and have used and owned computers ever since.

I joined the Buffalo chapter of the L-5 Society in 1981, and founded a more local chapter 3 years later. I still have some of the old contacts I used to have in and around NASA, but I will admit I'm pretty much burned out.

Robotics is the only thing I haven't followed up on yet. The two major stopping points is the cost, and my dissappointment that the level of robotics was never up to what we say in even a "simple" droid in Star Wars. Actually now its getting closer, and knowing two people that have made actual Artoo units I have a resource handy for when I want to build mine. As you can tell the interest is still there.

Star Wars didn't influence my SF fandom, I was a fan before that, having watch Trek and read Heinlein and Asimov before I ever saw the movie, but then again, SF fandom, media fandom, computers and SCA all tend to intermingle for some odd reason.

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I was six months old when it came out and my mom took all of kids to see it. she told me I never cried but actually saw the entire movie. I didnt sleep a wink. I saw the others in the theaters and played with the toys as a kid as well. I remember the dark days. The time before the first zahn book. Finally being able to read actual books again and the thrill of waiting for the next one to come out. I remember eagerly reading every star galaxy magazine. Those early times in the 90s are fondly recalled. Now I have anything and everything at my fingertips right on the net. Which is nice.

SW influenced me by allowing me to be interested in cars and airplanes. I wanted to fly just like Han but I had to stay on the ground and fix the ride instead. But I still have his attitude which I will never give up!

14. Kilantari

Kilantari Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2004
    I am Seventeen and I don't believe that if you were there in the beginning that you have a larger grasp, to me that just implies that you want superiority over the younger generations. I love the star wars series, I read the books before I ever saw the movies, I haven't had cable since I was 4 but I do vaguely remember seeing a TV series with ewoks, (odd, huh) I had toys from when it came out, it had a large impact on my life actually. Seeing and loving star wars influenced my enlistment in the army, seeing stormtroopers as part of a whole, I just love that kind of thing....I think that the older movies have more heart than the new ones, it seems like lucas is trying to direct his attention to a younger generation with "cool" bad guys and annoying characters that kids like "jar jar" even the card games are kid-directed. they stopped the star wars CCG and made some stupid kiddy one. even though I am not a part of your generation I feel like star wars is being stolen from us...

15. TashaYar

TashaYar Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2004
    I am 41, and when I saw ANH at 15 I thought it was pretty cool. You have to remember that even though I was older, there had been nothing like it before. When I saw ESB, however, I was 18, and it absolutely blew me away and changed my life forever.

I don't think that most people in their 20's have their minds set about life and what it's supposed to be - that was one of the most changable times in my life, because I was away from my family and had to make decisions for myself and take care of myself. You learn quite a bit that way. And even in my 30's, I still found myself growing emotionally as major life changes occurred. I didn't start writing fan fiction until I was 37!

Anyway, my point is that I feel lucky to be part of the first SW generation, to not have known in advance who the the little green creature on Degobah was and to share that surprise with Luke; and to have to wait the 3 years to find out if Darth Vader was REALLY Luke's father and what in the world was going to happen to carbon-frozen Han?

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't think you have to be in your 30's to be part of the SW Generation. I am in my late 20's and I do have that special relationship with SW. The first movie I ever saw in the theater was RotJ. My childhood was filled with Darth Vader, Luke and Han Solo. My first and favorite toys were SW toys. Star Wars became an integral part of my childhood as well as my inner psyche in ways I don't think many people have experienced or understand.

17. TashaYar

TashaYar Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2004
    Star Wars became an integral part of my childhood as well as my inner psyche in ways I don't think many people have experienced or understand.

Why do you think that is? Why do you think it affected you that way, and have other movies done that also?

18. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, in many ways SW was my bedtime story. My own fantasy world. While other kids play cowboys, I played Jedi Knight. My concept of good and evil was shaped by these movies.

I don't think any other movie I saw in my childhood had the same fantasy/fairy tale aspects as SW did. The only other movie I can think affected me as a kid in a somewhat similar was was Indiana Jones.

19. TashaYar

TashaYar Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2004
    I liked it because there was just nothing like it - you could be anything, with no prescribed roles. I loved Princess Leia because she was unlike any other female character in a movie.

20. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    I was 3 when i first saw star wars and it help shape who i am today. It showed some qualities that I thought should be exhibited by everyone, and that I should follow.

It showed a coming of age, it had romance, it had wonderful fight scenes, and in some wierd ways religous impacts that were well balanced.

You just don't see that too often anymore.

21. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    What do you think about ANH's special effects? At the time (1977), I remember thinking that they looked absolutely real. Even 15 years after the fact, I though they looked just as good a modern day movies (early 1990s). Only recently have I been noticing that the special effects of ANH look dated. But that was a pretty good run. The special effects in the first Star Trek movie looked dated almost immediately.

For those of you who saw ANH for the first time in, lets say, the late 1980's.....did the special effects look dated or real? How did your perception of the special effects impact how much you liked the film? Was it the special effects that made you love Star Wars, or the story?

For me, my first impression of the film (i.e. it looked real) impacted how I felt about the special effects for years (decades) afterwords. But if I saw the film for the first time in the late 1980s or 1990s I think I may have had a totally different impression of the film, at least from a special effect point of view (although I would like to think I would sill love the film).

P.S. I'm talking about the "Original Editions" not the Special Editions (the Special Editions don't count........nor should they ever) [face_laugh] .........Forgive me....I'm OOOLLLDDD!

22. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    I walked into a Waldens bookstore in december 1977 and picked up yet another fantasy/scifi book. I was a 5th grader and had devoured all of the books like bulfinchs' mythology and LeMorte dArthur that i could. I read that book that day stayed up til 4am and thought what a great story. it detailed that a movie was being made about it. that may along with 4buddies we waited, first in what became a sold out show. we sat in the front row and was spellbound. although he chickens out in the end by not killing off some key characters i have to admit that SW has definitely shaped my life.

23. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    You're the first one I've met who actually read THE SW book before the film actually came out..............You RULE!!!

24. The_Animal

The_Animal Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2004
    OMG, I'm actually an oldtimer. I'm a 30 something too and the first movie I really ever "sank my teeth into" was Star Wars. My wife is 28 and she would only have been 1 when Star Wars first came out. I now have kids, but they're at an age where they still don't understand what movies are all about.

So I intend to show the movies to them when they're a little older, and maybe they will fall in love with "a galaxy far far away" just like their old-man did.

25. Appan_Parsu

Appan_Parsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2001
    And fans that are in their 20s or younger did not have the opportunity to experience Star Wars at its birth

Born 1974, I'm 30 dead on, and did not have the luxury of seeing it in the cinema, first time I clapped my beades on Star Wars 'A New Hope' (Which it's alway been know as), was on Telly over Christmas. A been a fan and much more since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.