main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

3D Animation Assistance

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ucahg, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Hi. I'm creating a fan film which I am also planning on using for my Grade 11 English ISU (final project). The thing is, I have absolutely no experience with any 3D software or animation. Is there anybody who would want to make a few simple animations for me? Post below if you will, or PM me, or email me (jim.dam@cogeco.ca). The animations would include
    -after the opening crawl, a ship entering the atmosphere of a planet (like at the beginning of duality,
    -a ship leaving a planet and jumping to hyperspace with another ship following
    -the two ships leaving hyperspace in front of another planet. one shoots at the other, and the other either lands on the planet, or ejects and his ship blows up
    -it would need to be done by the beginning of January

Now I don't know what's possible and what's easy, so any feedback would be great (even if you don't want to do it). You would be properly credited in the credits, and I would shower many thanks upon you :)

2. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    would these be standard ships (from the movies) or new ones..?

3. Twisted_Hero

Twisted_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    If it is for your final project, wouldn't you like the work to be your own?

I'm not saying do the 3D animation yourself, but you could create your film without the use of the animation all together and utilise the experience you have in other areas for your film.

Do you have a script?

good luck with your film

Jezza

4. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Write a script, draw out some storyboards, and provide at least an attempt at technical line drawings of the ships in question; and maybe we'll talk.

This is your project, not minem or any other CGI'ers. You have to prove that it is worth your time before you can convince anyone else it is worth their's. A CG'ers time is never free.

5. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I´m not that experienced in 3D Animations either but I do my best to train my skills in Cinema 4D. Especially if you are into SW fan film making you can get any model you need fomr Sci-Fi 3D or some other websites. Most of them can be loaded on every common 3D package and looks quite nice with only a few touch ups. And really it is not that difficult to animate a simple ship moving a long a path and the likes. I´m sure there are quite a few tutorials on this and similar topics.

Now the reason for me writing is NOT complaining that you should try it yourself or consult the tutorials because you´re lazy. But I sure think if you attend to use your fan film for your final project it is definitely a good idea to have done as much as possible by yourself. Where is the point to show something which has been done by someone else? Especially if it is for some kind of class test etc.

So I recommend you try to invest some time to get those scenes done by yourself (if you´re not in possession of a 3D animation suit, there´s always Blender which is free and should work for what you plan) or change your script up to the point where it becomes possible for you to complete your movie.

I hope you don´t get me wrong but it´s always a good idea to make things yourself, it´s such a great feeling if you can say "I did that!". And it should surely pay off in your test if you can claim that all your stuff has been done by you.

Apart from that, all the luck to you that you movie will be finished in time and kick some serious [insert insulting word of your choice here] !! ;)

6. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    would these be standard ships (from the movies) or new ones..?

Well, the film will take place maybe a few hundred years before Episode I. I'm pretty sure there is some pre-Episode I models on the Internet. I'll try and find some that I would like.

If it is for your final project, wouldn't you like the work to be your own?

I don't think I could learn the proper 3D animation and create the animations, in addition to filming and rotoscoping, in my timeframe.

I'm not saying do the 3D animation yourself, but you could create your film without the use of the animation all together and utilise the experience you have in other areas for your film.

That's probably good advice, but I really want some small animations. That's just the way I envisioned the film to show up.

Do you have a script?

I'm working on that as fast as I can. I know the whole storyline, and I just need to put it on paper.

good luck with your film

Thanks!

Write a script, draw out some storyboards, and provide at least an attempt at technical line drawings of the ships in question; and maybe we'll talk.

I don't have much talent with art. I can envision stuff in my head, but I can't draw it on paper very well. However I will provide more detailed descriptions of what I want as soon as time permits.

But I sure think if you attend to use your fan film for your final project it is definitely a good idea to have done as much as possible by yourself. Where is the point to show something which has been done by someone else? Especially if it is for some kind of class test etc.

If someone can point me to some tutorials for beginners (a rare find, I found out), then I will try. But I don't want to rely on my developing the skills in time. From the English ISU perspective, the main point is to show I understand a story and can adapt it to film, and that my script shows good writing, etc. I'm actually adapting a novel that we are studying in class to a Star Wars film. And, after that's done, I might submit it to TFN.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.