main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

9-year old Anakin's dream of freeing all the slaves comes true at the end of ROTJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by waheennay, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Wonderful insight waheennay. As someone has already said, your comments give the ROTJ SE ending new and prfound meaning. I have wondered why Lucas had Anakin say that rather random line in TPM and do nothing in AOTC to fulfill his promise. However, now I see the line's connection to the saga on a grand scale and once again, Lucas has done a superb job of tying everything in the SW saga together into a grander scale.

2. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    This is just why Star Wars is so great!! I too had never thought about that before. Great connection.

I think Anakin's dream is really a metaphor. his leaving and returning represent his fall to and return from the dark side, and the freeing of the slaves probably actually represents his fulfilling of the prophecy and bringing balance to the Force. Then by showing the actual freedom of Tatooine we have a visual link to this metaphor, as well as the dream almost coming true in a physical sense.

On a separate note - preferring the original ending??? OK, so the "yub yub" song has a certain amount of kitsch value, but wasn't it just bollocks really?

3. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I like it I hadn't thought about it before but, it makes sense

4. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Yep Vader fees everyone!

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Hmm! I wonder what other dreams Anakin had that came true - obviously, he dreamt about Padmé. ;)

I hope GL adds something to it in Episode III.

Aunecah

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I'm glad a lot of people seem to think my idea is credible. Anakin may actually free the slaves on Tatooine in Episode III, but if not, looking at that certain line in Ep I that way makes everything come full circle at the end.

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Wow, this makes sense! Great observation.

As for...
    Jedi is a plural and singular term i.e. we say "the Jedi are keepers of the peace" not "the Jedi's are keepers of the peace". I've always thought that "Return of the Jedi" used the plural of the term meaning return of all the Jedi, or return of the Jedi way of life. Maybe it makes more sense in the singular - Return of the Jedi, like Return of the King or Return of the One, or Anakin's Return.

I don't know whether this makes sense (tricky to explain!).

I've always thought that the title of ROTJ had dual meanings. In the last Insider (ROTJ 20th anniv edition) it states they used the title "Revenge of the Jedi" to keep the plot point of Anakin returning a secret, then changed it after filming to
    "Return of the Jedi". I guess that kinda says Retun of the Jedi does mean it was his return.

8. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    you're right about that. and Luke came back and freed tatooine, too. the galaxy was free!

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Luke came back and freed tatooine, too."

Actually, Tatooine wasn't under anyone's control except the Hutts, so slavery still existed there at the end of ROTJ.

10. Toshi Station

Toshi Station Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 1999
    Great thread!

For the first time today, I watched the 2 prequels and the OT in order.
    It's funny how the smallest line now has some significance. When GL came up with the idea of Luke & Leia being brother & sister, I thought he was going for another "bomb" like he did in ESB. However, now, it doesn't seem so silly. It's all starting to fit together.

Can't wait for Ep III

11. chanster

chanster Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 1999
    Its a stretch and twisted logic at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.