main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Battle of Words {A War of Kings OOC Thread}

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by spycoder9, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    And yet I say how is seeking to unify her husband's kingdom treason? It's only treason if her husband doesn't understand what's going on and thinks she's a traitor. The personal aspect is obviously important with an absolute monarchy. Emelia under any other circumstance is actually being very loyal to the idea of a unified state. If this is the American Civil War (which I use only as a loose analogy), she's with the Union. Everybody else is a Confederate.

If I had to make a bet, it's that we're going to see massive shifts in institutional power to player characters as the plot progresses. What's interesting is that of the remaining active characters, very few have direct paths to making that happen. Let's review:
    • Mountains: Without King Desmond in the game, our closest remaining player to the throne is JediMasterAnne and Safia--but she's got two brothers between her and any inheritance...which might make Winged_Jedi and Lord Tarvick the closest to actual power there. This is the most crowded theater at the moment though, if memory serves (we could really use a summary of everyone still active), thus making things the most likely to fluctuate.
    • Islands: Without King Nathaniel in the game, Jedi_padawan_leigh is the strongest link to that dynasty...though she remains an unlegitimized child and unrecognized publicly, which essentially means that she still doesn't exist. The biggest power vacuum is here as, unless I'm missing someone, Mitth_Fisto is the only other player in the Islands right now. We're all thinking of a very traditional monarchy in this game...but for some reason I could see a very dispersed region like the Islands somehow following a 1700s Dutch model with a more constitutional monarchy and large merchant influence, which would make Tuckman's potential to influence things skyrocket.
    • Desert: If Stryker01 were not doing only a three part interlude to wrap up Martyn and Callista, then I would say he was probably best positioned at the moment. Unlike Lawrence, he's geographically close to the Desert and the King of the Desert is obviously the most threatened figure right now. Though I'm pretty sure Martyn isn't born of the Desert and doesn't hold lands in his name, which makes it less likely he could claim the crown in Dawnsgrace. Lawrence is the only other noble character in the Desert so he's probably really the best positioned to make a move for that crown...but like his father he has no lands or resources to draw on if he made such a play--but he's about to make a very influential marriage that will carry some weight. Lorrain and Fleet, while a very fascinating storyline that continues to move briskly and keep my interest, are just too low born to make a play here...barring a sudden revelation that at least in Fleet's case I'm hoping isn't coming.
    • Capital: Matheus would be the rightful heir if Fenton were to go down somehow, but HanSolo29 with Emelia is, without question, closest to the seat of power of any remaining player character, geographically and lineage-wise (whereas the now-deceased Beldak was quite far from traditional power instutitions). If Matheus were to die, I am not aware of other kids...so that'd mean that the ship of state would be rudderless and in times of crisis fortune favors the bold and the prepared. Arguing for continuity amongst chaos, Emelia has a play here if circumstances allow it. Or if she cares to engineer them, that is. ;)
    Or am I missing anyone in this analysis?

2. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Well since afellowjedi is apparently coming back, what about diana? Kings personal assassin, from an influential family (related to korianton?) seems to have no qualms about bumping of kalera rolmar, might see it as an oportunity if Nathaniel is taken out of the picture

3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Aha! See, this is why we need roll call. ;) That's an interesting theory...but the question is whether Diana has the personal ambition. With all due respect, she seems more of a tool than an actor at the moment. Of course, when given the proper opportunity, people's colors can turn out to be much different from what people expect.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  4. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Feb 13, 2003
    Ugh, sorry about the spelling and stuff in my last post, was typing it out on a phone lol

But I must say, all this speculation and discussion is so interesting and fun!

Very cool analysis Trieste :)

5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    If nothing else, I can overthink things with the best of them. ;) It's one of my many similarities to Ted Mosby.

6. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    Matheus has a younger brother, Seymour, but other than that he is Emelia's bodyguard (per OP), we don't know much about him, his personality, or how capable/suitable he is for the throne. Maela, their younger sister, may be too young to assume the throne on her own power, so if that is the case, Emelia would probably become regent if Fenton, Matheus, and Seymour were removed from the picture. Maela is supposedly somewhere in her teens, but her personality comes across as still rather childish, naive and innocent to the ways of the world, so even if she is of age to rule on her own, one might question her mental/psycological readiness for such.

7. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Awesome analysis, Trieste,I rather enjoyed it. Got popcorn and all. I also must agree, a game summary would be quite awesome, just for the sake of chronology and record keeping. Too many good bits all around to have them simply fall to the wayside. Long Live AWoK! [face_dancing]

8. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Feb 13, 2003
    Reading afellowjedi's post just now (welcome back to the game by the way ;) ) I've just been reminded about Kojiro and Kenji.

Not sure what happened to splinterofmindseye_ , and Saintheart has announced his eventual retirement from the RPF which is such a shame because those characters seemed so interesting and had a lot of potential

9. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    I was definitely looking forward to see how Samurai would fit in 'AWoK'. ( Thanks RL!)

10. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Me, I'm just amused at how the politics and such have ensured that most of the adult characters are married, or getting that way. Only a few exceptions, and I'm playing one of them.:p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  11. Stryker01

Stryker01 Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2012
    Let it be known that, with spycoder's consent, I've extended my post number significantly. Instead of three posts, this might take several. I've managed to get a little more time on my hands, and also feel that it would do all of them justice if I extended things a bit more. :) Your summaries, Trieste, were nearly spot on with some of my ideas. You can almost see that many of the player characters are getting to be more and more significant, in the overall scheme of things.

Thanks greyjedi, I worked rather hard on it. Making sure everything was disgusting enough. :p

Things are getting very interesting in places. The Lawrence/Safia kiss I wasn't expecting, but it almost seems pleasant with all the other things going on. My favorite singular place in Mirwyth, though, would have to be the Capital. All the politicking and emotions make tensions that much higher. And HanSolo manages to pull of an amazing Queen to be the center of it all.

I'd say I'm being roped back into all of this. There's so many possibilities that I can't help to play and see how things turn out.

greyjedi125 and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  12. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Then by all means, please do so kind sir. . . I am sure we could find a robe somewhere around here.

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm pretty sure me saying that Martyn being best placed to become the next King of the Desert is what changed your mind. :p

14. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Ser Andras for the next King - of everywhere!

...Yeah, so not going to happen, because by the time you get that far down the likelihood, so much of Mirwyth would be dead that having a King would seem pointless.:p

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    [face_laugh] Well, that's the funny thing about war--there's A LOT of room for social mobility, isn't there? People get into battle, somebody kills somebody else and all of a sudden, "Oh wow--that person is really awesome. Maybe they should lead us." But then again, Stephen Greenblatt has argued quite thoroughly that Shakespeare takes a very firm position that prowess in war does not translate well into good governance (though at the same time I know lots of people who are very much not Greenblatt fans, so you may take that thought as you will).

And Stryker01 as I woke up this morning I thought, "You know, I'm glad he's doing more than three posts. I mean, how could he possibly wrap things up in just one post? Popular uprisings aren't quite so neat and tidy."

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just wanted to drop in to say that I've been following along, but I've been a bit strapped for time lately with a deadline looming next week. I'm going to try to get to this (as well as the combined with spycoder9 ) when I get a free moment. Hopefully tomorrow!

spycoder9 likes this.
  17. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Discussion! :D Enjoying this very much! Especially hearing people's predictions. I won't comment on anything, mainly because I want to remain to be the mystic man behind the curtain ;) but do know that I'm reading all of this with a smile.

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
  19. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Grimdark as hell, though, if he was the only one left to lead; the Silent King, ruling over a shattered kingdom of bones and broken souls.

20. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    We're currently in the works of creating a timeline for the Mountains and Prairies. :) It's basically that summary of events I promised. I've managed to get JediMasterAnne for the job, and from what I've seen it's going very well!

21. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Nevermind about the Desert, Islands, and Capital. Nothing's happened there. :p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  23. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    :p I think I will probably be doing a separate timeline for the Isles, but spy asked me to do specifically the storylines around Safia, Lawrence, Beldak and Anyanka, and I've gone ahead and put in the stuff about Harrowmont, Snowy Ford and Cyrell, but the Desert and the Capital...either they are just going to have to wait until I finish the other areas, or someone else will do them. I'll leave that up to our GM.

24. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    :p I only meant that was the one currently in the works. They'll all be done one way or the other, I just assumed the mountains would be the largest and best to tackle first. :) Sorry for not being clear.

25. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Fantastic work on the Library thread! Superb!! I had myself a nice long read. I might need to read that again-just in case there's a pop quiz! LOL!! Kudos!=D=