main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's no rule that says he has to be consistent! :)

More seriously, we both know the Rise of Isard comics link into the books, which certainly isn't, sadly, the case for Invasion. I mean if someone were to do a Tales of the NJO anthology it could do, but that's not on the cards!

2. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's amazing what you can get with polite requests! Plus there's quite a few precedents for it. The reason I've suggested it is this thread has established a very healthy atmosphere for discussion and it'd be, I think, beneficial to the board to keep that going.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, the comics are so complicated to work in, though -- perils of simultaneous release. Unless you read them in their actual real-world publication order, each format contains serious spoilers for the other. Since the comics spoil bigger things for the novels than the novels spoil for the comics, I'd suggest reading the comics second anyway.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hey all, just dropping a quick note here. I've started the X-Wing relive thread, link's in my signature. Feel free to keep discussing the NJO here, though, I know that at least one poster hasn't finished her reading of the series yet.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I finished The Final Prophecy last night.

I really like Keyes and I've always liked Tahiri, but damn, she was a pet in this one. I had a hard time figuring out what to make of her and Corran. An odd team indeed.

Finally we're on Zonoma Sekot. I find the concept of a sentient planet really interesting; it makes me want to revisit Rogue Planet, which I dropped several years ago after a few chapters because WTF did Bear do to Anakin?

I definitely got a Dagobah vibe. Plus, Nen Yim...I liked the side of her that we saw in this book. And the close connection between the planet and the Vong.

Her death was just horrible. Not horribly written but...she didn't deserve that. Perfectly consistent with Nom Anor's overall cruelty to bash someone's head in with a rock though.

The Vong sabotaging the Holonet was probably the creepiest part of the book. Seems all too close to terrorist attacks or potential ones in real life.

And Jaina is down again, this time by a smuggler. I like that girl but damn, she can't catch a break.

And Sekot is heading for Coruscant, with its soul appearing as Nen Yim. Both interesting and sad.

I never finished Remnant, couldn't get through the last 100 pages or so after wanting to gouge my eyes out for several hundred before, and the other Force Heretic books...just their Wook entries left me going "what the actual ****".

But this was good and I started on The Unifying Force today.

6. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012

So the Vong are all emo?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's a hilarious thought.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. darth fluffy

Dec 27, 2012
    Suddenly i have this image of Tsavong Lah moping, wearing a lot of black, and listening to Linkin Park.

9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    While Nas Choka does his dance.

Gorefiend and darth fluffy like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What would you consider the other times?

Any pre-NJO stories were he shows this fear?

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Hand of Thrawn duology

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are you answering question 1 or 2 or both?

13. darth fluffy

Dec 27, 2012
    Re: the Vong and Linkin Park, try reading Traitor while listening to this:

Seriously, the lyrics match up almost perfectly.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I finished The Unifying Force.

Luceno always does well with imagery and this book is no exception, particularly with the opening scenes in the POW camp.

I didn't find the saving-prisoners-from-execution storylines quite as exciting as the plot point about Alpha Red; I thought the book really started to pick up in the scenes where the Vong and their weapons start dying off in front of Han and Leia and everyone realizes that the bio weapon had been deployed. The "oh ****" moments that followed were great.

Zonama Sekot, with Luke and Mara in the middle of one hell of a hurricane, and Harrar coming back...I'm glad we finally got the explanations for the Vong not being sensed in the Force.

But holy hell (pun intended), the more they lose, the more whacked-out explanations they come up with about their gods and what their gods wanted.

I thought the pages and pages of Nom Anor and Shimrra arguing was a bit slow, and the book once again picked up after Zonama Sekot appeared. Shimrra goes ape****, more established god-explanations turned bass-ackwards and he orders potential successors to die because he's immortal or something. Oh...oops.

ACKBAR! :_|

The twists at the end were great, starting with the "oh hell" moment with the Alpha Red ship being sent to Zonama Sekot, and the poisonous thorns protecting the World Brain.

Jacen was absolutely ****ing awesome here, so much that I could get past the revisit of his vision from Balance Point, between his persuasion of the World Brain and his defeat of Onimi.

And holy ****...Onimi being the real Supreme Overlord was a twist I totally did not expect.

Luke and that amphistaff...if I didn't know how well he was character shielded, I would have been very concerned.

Jacen hearing Anakin Skywalker tell him to "stand firm"...ah, Luceno... [face_love]. And it was followed by the best Jacen scene since Traitor.

And Nom Anor gets a great self-sacrifice scene.

The aftermath on Coruscant was another set of scenes where Luceno's talent in writing description shows up, and I love the line from Kre'fey about not wanting to present a ruined Coruscant to the Republic as an indicator that all is well.

Luke's speech was great, probably the best summary of what being a Jedi is, and the characters at the end...Pellaeon giving Leia the Killik Twilight, and the return to Kashyyk...Anakin's lightsaber in the monument to Chewie...

I had to put the book down. :_|

I'll add that Luceno's dialogue was great, he wrote Han and Lando particularly well, I especially liked the ending scene where they're drinking whiskey with Wedge. And I liked Mara in this book; that takes some doing.

I started the NJO almost a year ago and it's been a great ride. I did cheat by skipping the last two Force Heretic books but Remnant made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork so I couldn't spend another 15 bucks or hours of time on the last two.

As far as ranking, my top 10:

1. Traitor
    2. Vector Prime
    3. Conquest
    4. Destiny's Way
    5. Star by Star
    6. Rebirth
    7. Rebel Dream
    8. Rebel Stand
    9. Final Prophecy
    10. Onslaught

Thanks for the thread Cynical_Ben . I think I'm going to read Kenobi next and then take a break from Star Wars for awhile. Carl Sagan's Cosmos is waiting on my Kindle and the Harry Potter books are demanding a re-read.

xezene, Rew, CT-867-5309 and 7 others like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Now don't read anything set afterward.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Book-wise. Comics are fine.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That part gives me chills every time I read the book. Because it's literally the only time Jacen really "meets" his grandfather. It's so awesome. It's like a (literal) Voice From Above saying "You can't lose this, just do it." So kriffing amazing.

19. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    You're welcome, anakinfansince1983! It's been a pleasure to see how your opinions line up with mine for this series. I think we can both agree that The Unifying Force is a pretty stellar end to the series. And Kenobi will make a great chaser for the series, as well; it's just about the opposite of most of the stories in NJO, a much smaller, more tightly focused story where the stakes aren't nearly as high. Enjoy it, and be sure to drag up the relevant thread so you can share your thoughts!

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, for excellent follow-up on how the galaxy went a century later - Legacy!

It has brilliant use of the Vong and that little bioweapon too, but the how I'm not mentioning.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I stayed off this thread all this time, because i was put off by the title. I thought the whole things was bashing the njo series. as most of you know i am an njo fanatic. I hold it up as the greatest book over all ever written in Star Wars. As a series i thought it was diverse and fascinting. For the first time ever,( chronologically by our universe dates) we see different views of force philosopy from the three kids. We got newer characters like Tahiri who was very relevant in this series. It was wonderful. I wish this at least would stay in the new ST

Fav novels

1- The Unifying Force -Greatest ending ever, Luke was incredible
    2- Traitor- Jacen Solo's transformation
    3- Conquest
    4- Star by Star
    5- The Final Prophecy
    6 Destiny's Way

xezene and vong333 like this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats the way I would have listed mine, but in all seriousness, I truly liked the NJO series. I thought that the 19 books and 2 e-books was quite ambitious for its time and told a very good story.

xezene, JediMatteus and pronker like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm reading the round robin interview from The Unifying Force, and there's some interesting information that wasn't repeated afterward in stuff like the ERC. For instance, apparently Sue Rostoni and Lucy Wilson wanted Vergere to survive the series, but Shelly Shapiro said she should not because it would help it Jacen's growth if she died, and she threatened Luke's authority. Luceno compares the experience to the NJO to writing on a TV show, suggesting that there needed to be a showrunner -- a role I assume he more or less held. But he says that novel writers aren't like TV writers and don't like being told what to do.

Of course, if Vergere survived, she'd probably have replaced Lumiya and been completely out of character.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jacen: You were my teacher! My friend ! You said you were a jedi!
    Vergere: I lied.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering: when Luke and/or his order were discussing Verger and her teaching did they ever mention Vima-Da-Boda, Empatojayos Brand, their holocrons or any of the material they have been able to save from Ossus?